Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Which Question or Suggestion Are You Sick of Hearing?

My surgery is pretty much a secret but BOY do I get questions about my small portions and low carb choices. If they have already posed these questions before, I just smile at them like they are an idiot for asking and continue the conversation as if the question was never asked.

If they have never asked the question, I simply answer with a standard, I try to eat 6 small high Protein meals a day. SMILE. End of discussion.

I like your six small , high Protein meals answer. I am going to use that!

Sent from my SM-T230NU using the BariatricPal App

Thanks for sharing! It sounds (not surprisingly) like there are a lot of pretty rude, uninformed, or generally persistent people out there. :) It also sounds like you’ve come up with a lot of ways to handle these questions and comments, so thanks for the ideas for comebacks to the unwanted remarks.

I get asked how much I can eat and there's a gentleman who freeks when he sees me . We've run into me twice since weight loss and did't recognize me at first either time and was excited both times with how I look. Drives me a little nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

OMG, Please don't let it be true, you don't have cancer, do you?

I got this at the beginning quite often! Didn't help that I had a little bit of jaundice as well.

I'm tired of : do you eat? Do you enjoy food?

OF COURSE! Just not three times a day in large amounts... I feel normal sized and like I eat "light" ....nothing crazy or overboard...

Foodies in my family just don't get it... As they discuss what they ate , what they will eat next ... What the best----fill in the blank--- food they ever had. Etc. I just can't chime in as much.

I am pre-op. I have only told my daughters and husband (who live with me) and two very close, supportive friends. I'm down from a top BMI of 48.1 to 45.3. I'm hoping to have surgery in August if everything gets cleared properly. I'm planning on giving everyone the same planned response -- "I'm following a high-protein/low carb diet supervised by my medical team, including a nutritionist, and working out regularly." F**** all of them. I have enough baggage to deal with without judgment from anyone else.

The one that annoys me the most is "So now you throw up all the time?" Uh, no?! I didn't know I was supposed to. I think that's called Bulimia.

I hate when people tell me about all the WLS failures.. As if I'm set up to fail too. (I know that's not a question but it gets me angry)

I hate when waitresses ask me if I'm ok because I didn't devour my meal. Um I'm fine, please bring me a to go box

Is that all you're going to eat? Yes unless you want me to be sick and in pain

Why don't you just eat faster so you can eat more.. Well that's exactly what got me here.. Nope not doing it

I too chose to keep it to only my kids, sister and 2 of my closest friends. I just knew if I had people telling me what I should or shouldn't eat, I'd punch them! I have told a handful since, but start out by saying I choose not to tell everyone because I really don't want it to be the maim point of conversation. So they know better than to bring it up when I now see them.

I told a lifelong super thin person I work with, BC she'll need to cover my medical leave requests.

With a deadpan serious face she asked, "Have you ever tried dieting?"

I am 49 years old.

I weigh 298 pounds.

Dieting? Nope, never heard of it.

I have NOT had surgery yet. I cancelled a few years ago and am now planning on a Nov date (I would do it today if I could)

BUT, I can tell you I can sick of the "All you need to's" and the "Have you tried's"...

The worst is from my Dad! "My Doctor suggested to eat coconut for something sweet but low in fat/sugar"...blah. blah.

I am not and never have been requesting diet advice!!!

I am 46 years old. I am now 286. I know what I am "supposed to" do, yet here I am.

Something strange that I have heard from two different senior citizens, "Are you on the no food diet"?

Must be something they did back in the day.........................................

I'm tired of : do you eat? Do you enjoy food?

OF COURSE! Just not three times a day in large amounts... I feel normal sized and like I eat "light" ....nothing crazy or overboard...

Foodies in my family just don't get it... As they discuss what they ate , what they will eat next ... What the best----fill in the blank--- food they ever had. Etc. I just can't chime in as much.

I am a FOODIE. I love great food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy finding really great restaurants. I just enjoy less of it dang it.

But, yes Julie, I'm a little tired of that one myself. (not that I'm bitter or anything) ;-)