Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Veterans ONLY please. One year + post op.

The farther out I get, the less one year post op seems to qualify. So many changes happen in the 3rd year.

I do think there is still a major difference on this thread as people move into maintaining versus people who have been in maintenance for a long time.

I think the "final" (?) decision re vet status for the purposes of the veterans forum posting qualification was determined to be 18 months.

However, I don't doubt at all that even more time post-op brings a fuller understanding of what lifelong maintenance involves.

Folks who are three - four - five months post-op report new challenges at those mileposts.

WHOOPS! I meant to say: "Folks who are three - four - five YEARS post-op report new challenges at those mileposts."

The farther out I get, the less one year post op seems to qualify. So many changes happen in the 3rd year.

I do think there is still a major difference on this thread as people move into maintaining versus people who have been in maintenance for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I would certainly like to hear from the veteran veterans about ways to overcome the struggles that come up at those 3 , 4, 5 year marks. i keep getting hints that things are gonna change, so am feeling a little apprehensive as I approach the 3 year mark. I think details about the new challenges and advice from those that have been there done that would be extremely helpful in preparing for the future. I welcome your advice.

I am all for this as well. I am only a little over a year out and when I come here to look around to see if there is

anything interesting or relevant, all I see are the newbie posts and get turned off. Also, I don't have a lot of time

to weed through and find relevant information. I read a lot more than I post so I am very glad we will be able

to read and I can wait 6 months until I can post. :)

I too think there are WAY TOO MANY forums here.

Ok vets....

Happy Independence Day.....from ?

A former life? A former weight? A different attitude toward food? A NEW you?

Enjoy

I will say my life is vastly different from 9 1/2 years ago! I may have gotten the hang of this!!

All I can tell you is that at for me at 7 years, it has never gotten easier. It depends on what your trigger food is. For me it's sweets. I try my best to stay away from them but they are everywhere. Other people have a really hard time giving up bread. Whatever it is, it's something you'll be working on for the rest of your life.

Some people are really lucky, and their tastes for certain foods change. Usually though, they find some replacement food they now have to stay away from . Plus I can eat quite a big more than I could at 2 years.

We don't have regular bodies with regular metabolisms.

I'm 19 months post op and would love a vets only forum!! We are over run by newbies which I am happy we have, but veterans needs are different and I would appreciate some "quiet time" with Vets only.

I haven't been back to this site for a while and of course I am because I'm struggling...I know what I have to do...I just can't seem to keep motivated. I'm up about 23 pounds from my goal that I did hit...for about 3 hours!!! LOL I'm in a support Facebook page and it seems like a lot of us are really struggling and even talking about getting re-sleeved...I don't think I would do that but am quite curious...I mean I thought I had 75% of my stomach removed...would it even be safe?

@@4MRB4PHOTO - I am still looking for that dang squirrel....did you find it?

I haven't been back to this site for a while and of course I am because I'm struggling...I know what I have to do...I just can't seem to keep motivated. I'm up about 23 pounds from my goal that I did hit...for about 3 hours!!! LOL I'm in a support Facebook page and it seems like a lot of us are really struggling and even talking about getting re-sleeved...I don't think I would do that but am quite curious...I mean I thought I had 75% of my stomach removed...would it even be safe?

Proverbial very firmly wedged in cheek can be a very, very painful condition-for those of us reading the post whilst trying to drink a hot cuppa. Jeez, hot liquid streaming down the nostrils with explosive force is just sooooo uncomfortable. What do you vets recommend or should I just search for info online?[emoji848]

Edited by jintycb

Hi I'm a Vet,

I see most of you had a sleeve. I had the lap band and It has not been as successful for me as you guys have had. :( Could you please give me some suggestions. Thanks

Help Needed

Hi I'm a Vet,

I see most of you had a sleeve. I had the lap band and It has not been as successful for me as you guys have had. :( Could you please give me some suggestions. Thanks

Help Needed

A lot of people have had their lap bands removed and then been sleeved.

I am about 24 years post op RNY.. December 1992. At that time there were no internet WLS groups, and gastric bypass surgery was considered experimental.

I now read a lot of info on various forums, but seldom post or comment in them. IMO, people should be taken at their word as to how far along post op they are. How long they've been a member of any group or how many comments they've made have absolutely nothing to do with their own gastric bypass personal experience.

It seems to me that the information is totally irrelevant... it certainly is TO ME. It also seems ridiculously exclusionary, since everyone is always going to be making personal value judgements about the experiences of others. For example, people who are only 5 or 10 years along are still "newbies" in my own personal book. Those who think I'm "new" could check out my own personal, non-profit blog, DietHobby, where I have commented frequently for the past 5 years.

I had the sleeve 2 1/2 years ago and took a break from this forum because things just got old and tired. I do like the idea of a vets only forum but I think it should be open for reading by anyone and only open for posts by vets. I don't post that often because I have too many other things I need to be dong but I do find this site very helpful at times. I will be transitioning to the bypass in a couple of months so I want access to the newbie stuff as well as the more seasoned postings. I find benefit in both.

@@1Day1Life4Now could you check your inbox? I messaged you.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I know i have just recently came back to the site. Please tag me in.

Hey everyone. I am 3 years post op VSG. My hw was 236 sw 226 lw 124 now I'm 142. I'm ok with my weight and eat healthy religiously but have some medications that are slowing me down. I came here today because I had my surgery done in Mexico in 2013 and never had my Vitamins checked until a few weeks ago. My vit D is 5.9, my B12 is 291, and magnesium is 1.8. these are all pretty low. I am currently taking 50000 units Vitamin D2 1x weekly and a Multivitamin. My biggest thing is the b12. I have noticed over the last year I am having difficulty getting it in. I had to stop taking the sublingual due to dental issues. I'm unsure if or how much intrinsic factor my body has and my family doctor doesn't see a huge problem with my numbers. She has me on depression meds (part of the rebound weight cause) when maybe I just need more vitamins? I'm pretty unsure at this point. I have asked for a referral to a bariatric doctor and waiting for insurance to decide. Until then, anyone care to share anything on this?