Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Orbera Balloon booked in next week! Nervous, excited, anxious! Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Hi all, I'm doing fantastic!!! I know I shouldn't be saying this but I think I built it up to be such a scary thing that now that I am not feeling so bad I am so relieved. Here is my story for anyone that wants to know what I did for Orbera:

6;30am - Admitted into Hospital

8:00am - Met doctor and anaesthetist

8:30am - They administered the sedation

9:30am - I woke up with a big smile on my face, didn't feel a thing. My throat was a bit sore and my lips were dry but other than that I felt amazing and had a good chat with the nurse. I even had to ask if they had done the procedure as I felt no different. Even sat on my phone messaging family to say everything went ok.

9:30am - 10:30am - I sat up as I was getting bored and they administered two lots of IV fluids

10:30am - They offered me some liquid food, I opted for some milky tea (I drank it with a spoon as not to have too much), I had half a cup and then a few licks of an icelolly. I felt only marginally queazy after this but I held it down and the nurses were very happy for me to go home. All my vitals were fine.

11:00am - I was discharged!! So very very pleasant!

11:30am - Walking to the car I got a slight wave of nausea and felt a lot of spit in my mouth. I used the barf bag they gave me but really it felt like some excess saliva in the mouth and not vomit at all. There was no wretching whatsoever.

I then came home and lay in bed and had three sips of chicken broth and a few sips of a Protein Shake. I'm a bit uncomfortable and every now and then I burp, but genuinely all very manageable. I have only had one painful cramp but other than that all good. Before I had the Protein shake I had this empty feeling in my stomach like I was extremely hungry but then a queazy feeling of fullness - it was weird, but a few sips of protein shake sorted that out.

I wanted to add a few sidenotes: I have a very high threshold for pain and managed all my labours painfree (even the one that lasted 36 hours!). On my scale the pain so far with the Orbera is honestly no more than a 1-2 but I am sure some people handle pain differently. Also I had awful morning sickness during all my pregnancies and miscarriages (9 in total), it was terrible, I was unable to get out of bed most mornings and I was miserable, I had to be hospitalised several times for IV drips. So I expected this to be worse than the morning sickness and in all honestly so far it is a walk in the park in comparison to pregnancy. I know it is early days so it might not stay this way. But I thought I would post my positive experience so far.

I'm holding fluids down very well but not hungry at all. I'm sipping Water every now and then and then some broth. My tips would be to take lip balm with you as your lips get very dry and don't eat anything remotely solid at the hospital. The nurse wanted me to try something a bit thicker after the tea and icelolly and I flat out refused. I think that is why I have not puked yet.

I'm also completely pathetic and got on the scales when I went to the bathroom and I am up 2kgs! I know its all the IV fluids and I believe the Orbera itself should have a fair bit of liquid in it which adds to the weight gain. So I guess that will be very normal. Just preparing you all!

Onwards and Upwards! Hope this helps whoever wants to know...

Ok, so a bit of an update. It has been 36 hours since insertion and still feeling very well. Last night I woke up at 2am and had a little bit of a vomit, nothing much at all. The cramps have been on and off but nowhere near the pain of something like a contraction. I have not been hungry at all and barely managed a whole Protein Shake all day. I have had some tea and sips of Water but not much will go down. I have even managed to clean the house and do some dishes. So all in all very good!

It's weirdest feeling! I felt the same, I was so afraid of being sick and still am yet I had nothing. I also have a high tolerance for pain too and think that contributed to me not feeling as bad! The liquid diet will play major jedi mind tricks but it gets better.

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

So far so good for me!! I cleaned the house and even managed a 30 minute walk yesterday! I'm down 4kgs from coming out the hospital and 2kgs from pre-insertion weight! I'm losing about 0.6kgs a day but I am sure that will slow down! So far I'm not weak at all - a very positive experience. Except for the burps!! Wow the burps!

How are you feeling xingmaltese? I phoned my doctor and he said since I have not been sick he has moved me to soft food already. He wants me eating solids on Monday, if I feel like it of course. I managed a bit of Greek yoghurt with oat bran and it went down well with a few sips of coffee!

How are you feeling xingmaltese? I phoned my doctor and he said since I have not been sick he has moved me to soft food already. He wants me eating solids on Monday, if I feel like it of course. I managed a bit of Greek yoghurt with oat bran and it went down well with a few sips of coffee!

I'm glad you're doing well! I'm still doing great! I was able to have a cup of coffee for Breakfast and did great. I'm slowly getting closer to my calorie goal each day. I'm finding it difficult to get the Snacks between meals, but I'm trying to at least have a few apple slices or banana and still not up 64 oz of water- these are my most difficult issues but I'm getting there. I am just so full so quickly. I haven't weighted myself since Thursday bc I'm at our vacation house and no scale here. My dinner is still fish with vegetables and different starches. The burps are the worse but not constant. Lol

Other posters have done a great job offering tips and tricks so I just want to say I think you will thrilled with the results

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thanks! I already am 5 days into it :)

Other posters have done a great job offering tips and tricks so I just want to say I think you will thrilled with the results

I am a bit clogged up today. What did you take for that? Can I take senna?

I am taking Miralax, which my doctor suggested

A lot of people have had that problem (that's why I recommend taking a stool softener before and right after the procedure until your body and diet get settled). My doc said you can take any meds with the balloon that you took without it, but you should consult with your doctor. If things are bad, Miralax and milk of magnesia for a few days has helped others. Even colace have been successful. Good luck!

Thanks all will do that...

Hope you are doing well? I'm full of energy! Very exciting times!!

Thanks all will do that...

Hope you are doing well? I'm full of energy! Very exciting times!!

My energy comes and goes but I think it's more related to my other health issues. My only big concern is not being able to eat my 2 Snacks between meals. I literally can only have a few carrots or apple slices but at least I'm trying! Glad you're doing well

I wasn't given a minimum calorie limit? What is yours? I think my Doctor is a bit free-range!!