Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

More calories = More weight loss? HUH?

So, I'm almost 5 months post-op and down 92 lbs.

Generally my caloric intake is around 800 calories. For about a month now my weight loss has slowed down quite a bit...around 2 lbs a week. I know that slow down is normal so I wasn't concerned.

But what I have noticed is that when I get closer to 1000 calories a day, I see the scale move! That seems odd to me that if I get more calories, I can lose weight, but that has been happening for at least 3 weeks now.

Now, I still make sure I get Protein first, then veggies and very little carbs. However, when I do splurge a little, the weight comes off faster! Anyone else experience this crazy phenomenon?

And I did start doing Zumba classes about 3-4 times a week around the same time, so maybe that has some correlation to the amount of calories I need.

(And I do realize that I can't use this as an excuse to eat poorly or go crazy on high caloric food...I just was a little surprised.)

Edited by JennsJourney

Most programs that are actually well ran and monitored have you up your calories as the months go by.

It seems like most people can't keeping losing long term on starvation calories, eventually your body says nope.

Long term it is better to increase your calories so you don't destroy your metabolism.

You should do some research on this beyond this forum and talk to a nutritionist if you so choose.

yes, it's happening to me. My weight loss slowed almost to a halt. My Nut. recommended increasing my calories from 800-900 to 1100--1150.

It has kicked my weight loss forward again. This is a sustainable diet for my lifetime. Still Protein first, but adding small amounts of all of the food groups.--Still no junk. I haven't come this far to eat junk again.

I am heading for skin surgery soon and plastics want me on a "more balanced" diet.

Doing as Plastic requested AND kick starting my weight loss is a win/win, I think.

It is counterintuitive, but you really need to optimize nutrition and not minimize calories. Our bodies NEED enough nutrition to: 1) not think we are experiencing a famine, 2) to keep our metabolism operating properly, and 3) to do the major construction/demolition work needed to dismantle the larger structure.

If we aren't getting enough nutrition for #1, then #2 and #3 are put off/severely impacted until our body has enough for its immediate needs and enough more to not be preparing for famine.

(At least this is how I understand it based on my excellent surgeon and a lot of research.)

That is why it is also important to make sure we are getting enough nutrition before we start exercising intensely. Intense exercise adds more burden/load to the nutritional needs.

@@Valentina, I had been wondering if I may need to get skin surgery. May I ask what you plan to get done?

Thankful for this post. I am about 3 months post op. And my loss has slowed down to about 2 lbs a week some none. My NUT told me to increase calories by adding granola to yogurt, eating nuts, 1/2 whole grain English muffins with Breakfast etc. I of course looked at her like she was crazy, you want me to add carbs to get up to 1000 calories?? That's how I got where I started. But she said as long as I get my Protein, incorporate some veggies and minimal carbs or healthy fats to add calories I should be fine. Especially if I want to start more strenuous exercise routine. I was so hesitant because I am scared if falling into old habits, but I will trust her and the process and try to add more healthy fats and a few carbs here and there and see if it changes things.

Edited by numeby2017

@@Valentina, I had been wondering if I may need to get skin surgery. May I ask what you plan to get done?

I am having the hanging skin on my abdomen removed. Everything "relocated" that's underneath it now and anchored--belly button included. (just like Cher' ) :) I'm having my thighs lifted and my "lady bits" reshaped. (don't know what "shape" they're in now because I haven't really seen them in years! :) ).

Thankful for this post. I am about 3 months post op. And my loss has slowed down to about 2 lbs a week some none. My NUT told me to increase calories by adding granola to yogurt, eating nuts, 1/2 whole grain English muffins with breakfast etc. I of course looked at her like she was crazy, you want me to add carbs to get up to 1000 calories?? That's how I got where I started. But she said as long as I get my Protein, incorporate some veggies and minimal carbs or healthy fats to add calories I should be fine. Especially if I want to start more strenuous exercise routine. I was so hesitant because I am scared if falling into old habits, but I will trust her and the process and try to add more healthy fats and a few carbs here and there and see if it changes things.

Just embrace it! You are doing great and if that was your NUT recommendation, then at least try it. Just be mindful and never go overboard. :)

I am having the hanging skin on my abdomen removed. Everything "relocated" that's underneath it now and anchored--belly button included. (just like Cher' ) :) I'm having my thighs lifted and my "lady bits" reshaped. (don't know what "shape" they're in now because I haven't really seen them in years! :) ).

LOL...thanks for sharing! I am almost positive that I will at least need to get my arms done but my tummy and thighs may be a necessity too.

LOL...thanks for sharing! I am almost positive that I will at least need to get my arms done but my tummy and thighs may be a necessity too.

I would have chosen to have my "turkey waddle" tightened and my arms done before my "apron" and "lady bits", but I NEED to have the abdominal skin removal first to stabilize my spine. I guess my turkey waddle will have to wait until I step on it, and my arms will wait until a sudden gust of wind just takes me away...

I would have chosen to have my "turkey waddle" tightened and my arms done before my "apron" and "lady bits", but I NEED to have the abdominal skin removal first to stabilize my spine. I guess my turkey waddle will have to wait until I step on it, and my arms will wait until a sudden gust of wind just takes me away...

LOL...you should patent your terminology! ;) Love it!

7 months out and I am noticing the same thing! Glad I am not alone!

@JennsJourney- Congrats on knowing these numbers so you are able to see a result of a change. Great job.

question! are you paying out of pocket for plastics? or is there anyway insurance covers this?

yes, it's happening to me. My weight loss slowed almost to a halt. My Nut. recommended increasing my calories from 800-900 to 1100--1150.

It has kicked my weight loss forward again. This is a sustainable diet for my lifetime. Still Protein first, but adding small amounts of all of the food groups.--Still no junk. I haven't come this far to eat junk again.

I am heading for skin surgery soon and plastics want me on a "more balanced" diet.

Doing as Plastic requested AND kick starting my weight loss is a win/win, I think.