Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6.6 years with band.....

Rant:..... November 10, 2009 was when my new life began.... I had the LB preformed and i have to say... it been a hell of a ride. I have luckly had no problems except for a little re flux now and then.

Here are some of the starts and now: weight 230 now 139, pants 20 now a 6, shirt XXL now med/large, bra 44H now 34H, shoe 7.5 now 6.5.

So here is my RANT.... I've been coming on this site since it was Lapbandtalk... (thanks Alex). I have met the most wonderful people and have made lifelong friends. I have learned so much over the years.

Here's my issue.... My understanding is the doctors are trying to get away from doing the band due to failures. But what i don't get is there are failures in ALL the WLS's..... i know many people that gained back most all there weight from GB, Sleeve and the band. I read on here all the time.... "i'm getting my band removed because im gaining and doing the sleeve". Now i know there are some that truly had bad bands placed. But what i wonder is, when these patients go to there dr. are they truly being honest and saying..... I stress eat, or i have learned to eat around the band, or i eat sliders (ice cream, cake and cookies) all day. Are are they just saying... the band is broke and i want to try something else. Don't they realize that maybe it's not the band but something they need to go to a Psychiatrist for. Not saying that i'm the perfect example of a band patient, but i work hard at watching what and how it eat....

When you start gaining again.... Look deep within and ask... what am i doing that is contributing to this...how can i fix it... Be honest with yourself and your doctor...

End Rant.

First off.......you have rocked the band and done a hell of job in utilizing it to get excellent results........and have lived with those results....through what life has thrown your way. I have huge respect for you in this.

You haven't trumped up excuses to hide behind. You've ceased the opportunity and have truly kicked ass.

It takes just a few minutes reading around here, at other wls sites or in the two support group meetings that I've attended to find many who simply didn't get their minds wrapped around it before having the wls. I'll likely never go back to another of those support group meetings. It was draining and filled with anything but motivation.....but a gathering of sympathy and validation of bad habits.

I suspect those that are successful are busy getting on with their lives and moving into new stages of healthy living.....and posting less or not in attendance at the various support experiences.

Maybe I'll reach that point one day....where I'm no longer thinking in terms of being "on a diet". I'll be just living and thriving and not thinking about the bariatric aspects so much.

I sure would hate to have to fact my surgeon in a future meeting.......where I'm sitting across from him with a sob story about how I ate around my sleeve. He is very, very clear during all the pre op discussions. He doesn't do revisions in cases where it was patient failure. Very clear on this.

I believe anything is successful if you put in the necessary work in order for it to be. If you get on any diet or have any procedure done thinking it's going to be a miracle or problem solver then they are WRONG!!! I believe that's the BIG problem that people is looking for a quick fix, a miracle and don't want to put in the work or make changes, life changes. Me myself I've made changes but still fighting the fact theses changes need to be life changes in order to reach my goal and remain there plus to be the healthiest me I can be. But one thing that makes me different from some others I can and will admit what I do wrong, try to correct them, and no why my scale don't move when I'm doing wrong. I must say you have done a wonderful job and I hope I can have such success when I'm that far out. Currently 9mts out/60lb loss/40lbs to go/anniversary date 9/25/16 emoji4]

Edited by MzStockton

The only individual that I personally knew who had a revision from a lap band did so because the band was eroding into his stomach and was about to rupture. He had to have it removed otherwise it would be fatal.

That is not to say that your lap band has a problem. But I think this type of problem caused many doctors to stop performing lap band surgery.

Rant:..... November 10, 2009 was when my new life began.... I had the LB preformed and i have to say... it been a hell of a ride. I have luckly had no problems except for a little re flux now and then.

Here are some of the starts and now: weight 230 now 139, pants 20 now a 6, shirt XXL now med/large, bra 44H now 34H, shoe 7.5 now 6.5.

So here is my RANT.... I've been coming on this site since it was Lapbandtalk... (thanks Alex). I have met the most wonderful people and have made lifelong friends. I have learned so much over the years.

Here's my issue.... My understanding is the doctors are trying to get away from doing the band due to failures. But what i don't get is there are failures in ALL the WLS's..... i know many people that gained back most all there weight from GB, Sleeve and the band. I read on here all the time.... "i'm getting my band removed because im gaining and doing the sleeve". Now i know there are some that truly had bad bands placed. But what i wonder is, when these patients go to there dr. are they truly being honest and saying..... I stress eat, or i have learned to eat around the band, or i eat sliders (ice cream, cake and cookies) all day. Are are they just saying... the band is broke and i want to try something else. Don't they realize that maybe it's not the band but something they need to go to a Psychiatrist for. Not saying that i'm the perfect example of a band patient, but i work hard at watching what and how it eat....

When you start gaining again.... Look deep within and ask... what am i doing that is contributing to this...how can i fix it... Be honest with yourself and your doctor...

End Rant.

I don't think its always about failure to comply with the band. Sometimes the band forces you to make bad choices because you NEED to eat something that isn't going to get stuck.

I, like you had the band for years and i loved it, it worked for me, i got to goal, no loose skin, i was the "poster child" for the band.

I started getting complications with it, and regardless of the maintenance i kept with it...fills and unfills... it was still failing me... even Water would get stuck... it got to the point that sometimes i would need to have a slider or cheat my band just to eat something so i wouldn't collapse.. but i was at goal by the time this happened

So, in my case my band failed me... i had it removed and because of eating so little for so long, i reset my RMR.. so i had to do the sleeve to be able to stay on lower calories.

But, on the other side, there are many that do abuse their band. I had a friend who was banded 1 month before me.. and she would eat macdonalds, kfc and all sorts of junk.... she complained that she wasn't losing weight.... she had lost only 8kg.. when i had lost 40kg during the same timeframe.

So it really is a tool... and you do reap what you sow. ...

Great post; thank you! I joined Lapband Talk when I was researching weight loss surgery and benefited greatly from all the support. When the forums combined and banders became such a minority, I was a little overwhelmed by negative posts from people who elected a different surgery. I am truly sorry for any one who has had a bad experience with their band. In my case I am very happy with my choice, it was the right thing for ME. I love my band and would not have had a different surgery. Life-changing.

The majority of the complaints I see on this board about the lap band are usually from folks who get the band placed and then don't see their surgeon anymore. Then they get all defensive when you tell them they need follow-up care. I think that's really the only way to succeed with it. It's likely losing popularity due to updated surgical methods (bypass used to be somewhat dangerous and from my understanding the sleeve is fairly recent relative to GB and LB). It's also losing popularity because of the intensive follow-up that's required (i.e. adjustments and dealing with complications).

The lap band works great for me as a volume eater and a Protein lover. I think if simple carbs are your kryptonite it may not be the best option. Last Saturday I had too much to drink at my dinner party and cupcakes looked very appealing. It was shockingly easy to scarf down two of them without any trouble. However, eating 6 ounces of steak and a side salad for dinner kept me full and satisfied until bedtime.

There are legitimate complications (like erosion or a slip). But oftentimes folks come on this forum and complain about the band after having it placed for months without seeing their doctor and wonder why it's not working.

It sure seems like there are both camps about lap bands. Pro and it works. Anti and it did not have success.

As you might know, I'm firmly in the pro camp after 9+ years. I do see my doc regularly, and I do keep the saline level low.

Personally, I get an irritation area if I keep my band tight, and I baby it by lowering the Fluid level. I'm very afraid of not being able to keep my tool .

It totally changed the trajectory of my life, and I adore it for that. Much of the maintenance is on me though... I do get that.

I was also overwhelmed by the negativity shown towards the band after lapband talk turned to BP. I stopped posting very much at first. There are failures with all WLS . The lapband has been my lifesaver. at age 66 I was headed for a health crisis. My diabetes was spiraling towards a life with insulin dependence, my cholesterol was too high and my blood pressure stayed high. My GP suggested the weight loss surgery. I am fortunate to have had the best surgeon in our area to do my surgery. He is conservative with fills and I go in to see him at least every 6 months or so. have had no issues and still maintaining my loss. Love my Band hope it last forever.

I was thankful for my band when it was working for me and thankful to have it removed and revise to the sleeve when it became a problem. I lost about 90 pounds with the band until it started tightening every time I had to fly. I would have a little Fluid removed each time until I got to the point where it was empty and could barely drink Water at which point something needed to be done to permanently correct the problem. I say if the band is working for you and continues to work for you then that is great and I totally understand why you would stick with it. I think all of us would rather have one surgery vs two but it is always good to have options if issues do arise.