Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does everyone get the shoulder gas pains?

I know my friend complained about how much the gas pains in her shoulders were. And I've read it many times here and on other forums.

Does everyone get these pains? If so, are they immediately after surgery? Or can you get these pains a few days or even weeks after you

have surgery?

No gas pains here

I had horrible gas pains in the back of my shoulders the day I was released from the hospital . It was so bad the Dr thought when the Nurses had to pull me up off the toilet in the hospital that first night that they had cracked my ribs. A x-ray was taken and my ribs were not cracked, so the Dr felt it was just horrible gas. Every time I stood up from the chair or bed or turned over in bed I had this sharp stabbing pain. I can stand but can't walk more than 4 -5 minutes. so I think I had the pain worse than most. I was given pain meds to come home with and finally 3 weeks later the pain was gone.

I know my friend complained about how much the gas pains in her shoulders were. And I've read it many times here and on other forums.

Does everyone get these pains? If so, are they immediately after surgery? Or can you get these pains a few days or even weeks after you

have surgery?

Shoulder pain is usually from the CO2 gas used to extend your abdomen so that the surgeon can see where to operate. Walking helps, just takes a little time and patience. Some will experience it some don't. Fortunately, I was one of the lucky ones and had no shoulder pain. Hope this helps.

have surgery?

I did, but they dissipated within a few days. If you experience has pain you can walk and use a heating pad to help manage the pain and shift the gas out of your system.

After my surgery I got the pain too, believe it or not, walking helps release the gas pain. It gets better

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using the BariatricPal App

I'm two weeks and 5 days post and I was in pain after I left the hospital because after my surgery I had a leak and they went back in to fix it, plus the Doc fixed a hernia, that's why I had a lot of pain but is not the same for everybody some people don't have pains and that's a blessing.. God bless you all!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Never had them.

I didn't really have noticeable gas pain. I was up and walking in my hospital room as soon as I was able.

My doctor specifically said he makes an effort to remove as much of the gas from the abdomen as possible to avoid the possibility of trapped gas causing pain. Had no pain at all and was up and walking in about 2 hours after making it back to my room.

When I had gallbladder surgery about 15 years ago, I had AWFUL pain from that - couldn't sleep flat for almost 2 weeks. I was really worried about that, but it looks like most surgeons do try to reduce the gas and pain now, so hopefully if you do experience anything, it will be mild and only for a day or two.

Getting up and walking is one of the best ways to get the gas to resolve and reduce the pain.