Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I ever have coffee again?

Once your weight loss bottoms out and you transition into the maintenance phase you should be able to return to coffee. This will be at around a year to a year and a half post-op.

But you should avoid all sugars and transition to either natural low calorie sweeteners like stevia or artificial sweeteners otherwise the weight might come back.

Ignore the advice above about waiting a year. That is crazy!

I missed my coffee so much after surgery. Here's how to get it back.

You really will have to wait awhile to begin again. I started with buying instant espresso. I began to by adding it to my Protein shakes. I waited 1 month before adding it. Any vanilla flavored shake can benefit from 1 tsp. of instant espresso. You will be able to feel how well you are tolerating the caffeine after one shake. If it makes you feel shaky and unwell, it is too soon. If you are OK, then proceed. I was able to have my coffee full strength after 5 weeks.

So everyone has a different journey. My sister, who is 3 years post op successfully, never gave up coffee. I just recently (5 weeks postop) started transitioning back to regular from Decaf which is what I went to for the surgery. In fact, the first two weeks after surgery, I didn't desire coffee at all. I got used to drinking it black years ago though. Once in a while I get a skinny vanilla latte from Starbucks but I normally just drink black coffee so I'm not worried about sugar. We are all different but it's important to save your questions for your followup appointments. I was cleared to eat, drink anything (not talking about soda or sweets- and I avoid bread, rice, and pasta) at my month check up.

Good things come to good people.

Ok I like everyone's advice.. And of course every doctor has their own set of rules but at 3 weeks post op I used my chocolate premier Protein as my Creamer and I used TRUVIA instead of sugar. Having this cup of coffee in the morning is the best part of my day because I'm getting in some of my Protein and I still get to enjoy mornings with a cup of joe.. The reason why they don't want you to have a coffee is because of the caffeine pulls liquid out of your body and some people have a hard enough time getting the amount of liquid that were supposed to in our bodies. If you are hitting what you are suppose to with your Water and protein then a cup of coffee isn't going to hurt you at all.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My doctor said coffee was okay but I decided to give it up anyway, at least for a while. I figured I would not be able to have it in the hospital and didn't want to have withdrawal headaches while recovering from surgery. Also at the very beginning it sounds like it's difficult to get the liquid in and I didn't want to be dehydrated. I have never liked sugar or cream in my coffee so I imagine I will start drinking it again few months down the line.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by j16

My doctor allowed people coffee in the hospital. I gave it up for a few months because of the acid (I had an issue with that post op).

Started back up and three months and have had it regularly ever since.

Successfully lost 136lbs and keeping it off.

Ironically I was never a coffee drinker before RNY last August (a very rare cup was about it), but after an overseas business trip in March I started craving it. I decided to cold press my own using a coffee Tody (less acid and great flavor). I use a no sugar creamer or drink it black and like it as hot as I can stand it. I always grab my Breakfast Protein first and then about 20 minutes later I enjoy a cup or two of coffee. No issues at this point with drinking it and I'm still on a losing glide path as I near my one year mark.

My surgeon said 8 weeks. I started sipping small cups at 7 and never looked back and never had an issue. I will say after going 7 weeks coffee has a much stronger effect on me! I don't have to drink nearly as much to get the same caffinated effect.

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

Hi all! Yesterday I would have told you I am a sleever who cannot tolerate coffee. I am going on 8 months and couldn't stomach more than a couple sips. Very sad because coffee was my passion and only addiction prior too surgery. During pregnancy i missed having a drink but really really missed coffee and had a cup soon after giving birth! I was allowed coffee by my surgeon relatively quickly but I couldn't drink it!! Well that changed this morning. I bought some low acid coffee on Amazon called pure roast. Success! I drank a whole cup! I feel so good and jittery ... Boy did I miss this feeling.

My surgery is August 2nd and I speak with NUT in 2 days. Why no coffee? Is it the caffeine? If so, do you know what it does if you ingest it? Does that mean no chocolate shakes either? Thank you!

I probably started drinking regular coffee at about 4 weeks post op. I use sugar free creamer and splenda. My nutritionist did not seem concerned. I'll limit my coffee to about 1 to 1.5 cups a day.

If my stomach starts feeling sour, I'm done with coffee for the day. :)