Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Addicted to Food - Can I Even Do This?

I'm 4 days away from surgery and for the first time I'm questioning what will even change after my surgery. I have cheated a little here and there during my pre-op diet and am constantly thinking about food. If I can't even do this bit properly, what makes me think I can change my thinking and behavior patterns with my sleeve?

Food's always been my friend and I would love to know if any of you felt this way before surgery but then saw the weight come off after you had your sleeve? What changed your mindset and behavior towards food?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I would highly recommend therapy! We need help with emotional eating in addition to getting surgery (which is only a Tool to help restrict portions). Talk to a member of your Team - maybe they can give you some advice. Good luck!

Something many people find out through this process is that their eating "problems" are really eating "symptoms" of more fundamental problems.

Yes, we do have to address our overeating behaviors. But it would be more efficacious for you to also treat the underlying reasons for your overeating.

Good luck to you. :)

YES as long as you seek therapy and deal with the issues. I am 1 year post-op and still dealing with my addiction issues but couldn't have done it without therapy. Good for you for recognizing it is an addition and coping mechanism! Many people deny deny deny that it is (and maybe it isn't for everyone). It is normal to be second guessing yourself right now.

YES! you can. in combination with therapy or self therapy if you can look the food monster in the eye, the surgery can give you the time you need to deal with the underlying issues. I believe it is a much more rocky road than having the time to deal with food issues before hand, but it is completely possible to beat this monster into submission.

Having a smaller tummy helps. Right now you are still coping with a beast of a stomach that wants what it wants. With a smaller tummy, post-op nausea, and taste perceptions changing, you get a break from feeding the beast.

Those several weeks / months of downtime gives you the advantage of learning how to eat healthy foods in reasonable portions. Hard as you may try, there is likely no way you will be able to heap a plate at Thanksgiving and go back for seconds plus dessert.

Your tastebuds may change. Things you hated you now love. Foods you loved you now hate. Your tastebuds have to adjust just like your appetite does. My obesity was taste driven. I wanted more because the original serving tasted so good.

Once you have lost that first 50 pounds you will have more energy to exercise. As you gain confidence and strength, you will want to value that progress by not messing it up. You have come this far, so good luck with an uncomplicated recovery. Come here for moral support.

You can do this! I cheated horribly on my pre-op diet. I made myself do it the last three days without cheating at all, because I KNEW I had no choice because surgery was my only option for breaking this addiction. A week into the pre-op diet, I cracked and ate a whopper with cheese, large fry, ten piece nugget, and chocolate shake. I ate that in ten minutes. I felt horrible, and disgusted, and defeated. I had a terrible food addiction. Now after surgery, I still have one, but it is getting better. There are days I feel like I am going to break, but I can tell you that it is MUCH easier to resist now than it was before.

You'll spend the first month breaking your carb and sugar addictions, so that by the time you get to solids it wont be as bad. What I do, when I feel a craving hitting me hard, is go eat 4 ounces of dense Protein immediately. tuna, grilled chicken, ham, etc. By doing that, I know there's no room left for the other garbage. Occasionally, I have "accidentally" eaten a cookie or piece of candy - think it has happened about 4 times already where I legitimately was not thinking, and popped it into my mouth. The good news is, even if I were to get a whopper right now, I'd be full to the max after about half of it (im assuming, I haven't had any fast food since surgery) - and there would be no room for that extra half, or those fries, or that shake anyway.

Having a smaller tummy helps. Right now you are still coping with a beast of a stomach that wants what it wants. With a smaller tummy, post-op nausea, and taste perceptions changing, you get a break from feeding the beast.

Those several weeks / months of downtime gives you the advantage of learning how to eat healthy foods in reasonable portions. Hard as you may try, there is likely no way you will be able to heap a plate at Thanksgiving and go back for seconds plus dessert.

Your tastebuds may change. Things you hated you now love. Foods you loved you now hate. Your tastebuds have to adjust just like your appetite does. My obesity was taste driven. I wanted more because the original serving tasted so good.

Once you have lost that first 50 pounds you will have more energy to exercise. As you gain confidence and strength, you will want to value that progress by not messing it up. You have come this far, so good luck with an uncomplicated recovery. Come here for moral support.

You can do this! I cheated horribly on my pre-op diet. I made myself do it the last three days without cheating at all, because I KNEW I had no choice because surgery was my only option for breaking this addiction. A week into the pre-op diet, I cracked and ate a whopper with cheese, large fry, ten piece nugget, and chocolate shake. I ate that in ten minutes. I felt horrible, and disgusted, and defeated. I had a terrible food addiction. Now after surgery, I still have one, but it is getting better. There are days I feel like I am going to break, but I can tell you that it is MUCH easier to resist now than it was before.

You'll spend the first month breaking your carb and sugar addictions, so that by the time you get to solids it wont be as bad. What I do, when I feel a craving hitting me hard, is go eat 4 ounces of dense Protein immediately. tuna, grilled chicken, ham, etc. By doing that, I know there's no room left for the other garbage. Occasionally, I have "accidentally" eaten a cookie or piece of candy - think it has happened about 4 times already where I legitimately was not thinking, and popped it into my mouth. The good news is, even if I were to get a whopper right now, I'd be full to the max after about half of it (im assuming, I haven't had any fast food since surgery) - and there would be no room for that extra half, or those fries, or that shake anyway.

@@Miss Mac and @@provenzee THANK YOU SO MUCH for writing this out. It is EXACTLY what I needed to hear. I will be coming back to read your responses repeatedly over the next few days/weeks. Truly, thank you.

I am 7 months out and still struggle with food addiction. The good news is that I can eat only so much if I have a day I eat some "bad " foods. Sweets are so much sweeter and don't taste right, so that has been a huge benefit for me. I still see my therapist, as i know this will be a lifelong struggle. A couple of books- "It was me all along" by Andie Mitchell. And I just picked up the "Head Hunger coloring book and journal' on Amazon. Good luck!!