Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Late June Sleeve Buddies?

Had my 3 week follow up! Now clear to swim????! Surgery 6/30 and have lost 20lbs on their scale. My scale has a different number. The nurse said its off by 4 lbs. (fix the scale already)

Been doing great! Most amazing thing for me is my energy! Love having it!!!! Feeling great!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Next week will be my first real social test; I will be 4 weeks post op and am attending an industry conference. I will be around buffets, Snacks, diet cokes etc. Every evening will also have cocktail parties/dinners.

Have any of you tried alcohol yet? I am planning to take Protein shakes with me and am not overly concerned about the food---I am worried about being tired mid day and drawn to the diet coke (kryptonite for me) but am wondering if I can have a cocktail.

Next week will be my first real social test; I will be 4 weeks post op and am attending an industry conference. I will be around buffets, Snacks, diet cokes etc. Every evening will also have cocktail parties/dinners.

Have any of you tried alcohol yet? I am planning to take Protein shakes with me and am not overly concerned about the food---I am worried about being tired mid day and drawn to the diet coke (kryptonite for me) but am wondering if I can have a cocktail.

I had white wine at a wedding last week. I checked with my nurse before I did so. I didn't notice any different effect than from before surgery, I sipped it slowly. It was fine!

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

I've had a little beer and a little hard cider, maybe about 3 oz of each, with no issues. My doc told me that I can have beer, wine or cider (in moderation of course) but no liquor. I did try a little white wine about a week ago and it really burned going down. I think I'll wait a while before I give it a try again. All alcoholic beverages are high in sugar carbs, that's why I'm being very cautious with them, but my life is full of social situations where everyone has a glass of wine or a beer, so I'm happy to be able to have a little of either :-)

Thanks for the feedback. My preferred poison is gin and tonic but I suppose I will stick to one glass of wine and sip on it.

Wow! I was told no alcohol for a year, but I really can't imagine trying to drink something like that even though I have had no real nausea or food problems thus far.

Thanks for the feedback. My preferred poison is gin and tonic but I suppose I will stick to one glass of wine and sip on it.

Oh, summer just isn't the same without a nice Hendricks and tonic on the patio :-) I have a little taster glass that I fill halfway with beer and sip on it...I usually end up pouring out half of that because it gets warm. I think right now I like the idea more than the beer!

Wow! I was told no alcohol for a year, but I really can't imagine trying to drink something like that even though I have had no real nausea or food problems thus far.

Every program is definitely different! My doc released me to full food at 2 weeks, some programs require liquids for a month post-op. I don't really understand no alcohol for a year, though? Is it for weight loss purposes?

Our dietitians are very strict, but they're for guidance in my world, they don't tell me what I can and can't do, only my MD does that. I've been advised by our dietitians to use fake vegetable Protein, to use aspartame, to use only non-fat dairy and on and on. There's also been quite good advice, but I take what makes sense to me and leave the rest. I actually get a lot of advice and support from my case manager, a successful 9-year RnY patient. She's been there, done that on so many situations and is a wealth of info. I cherish her :)

Oh, summer just isn't the same without a nice Hendricks and tonic on the patio :-) I have a little taster glass that I fill halfway with beer and sip on it...I usually end up pouring out half of that because it gets warm. I think right now I like the idea more than the beer!

YES! I have a full bottle of Hendricks on my counter. Nothing better.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@susie66 Have you ever tried Jack Rudy Tonic Syrup? You mix it with club soda to your own taste...it's very good and not as overly sweet as most mainstream tonic. I love Q Tonic and Fever Tree, too, but those little bottles don't last long ;-)

@@susie66 Have you ever tried Jack Rudy Tonic Syrup? You mix it with club soda to your own taste...it's very good and not as overly sweet as most mainstream tonic. I love Q Tonic and Fever Tree, too, but those little bottles don't last long ;-)

I have not! Thanks for the tip. I am a tonic snob and generally use Fever Tree----but I have never been able to quite replicate the perfect Hendricks & tonics I had when I was working in the UK last year----and the secret is the tonic. I am going to try this.

Every program is definitely different! My doc released me to full food at 2 weeks, some programs require liquids for a month post-op. I don't really understand no alcohol for a year, though? Is it for weight loss purposes?

Our dietitians are very strict, but they're for guidance in my world, they don't tell me what I can and can't do, only my MD does that. I've been advised by our dietitians to use fake vegetable Protein, to use aspartame, to use only non-fat dairy and on and on. There's also been quite good advice, but I take what makes sense to me and leave the rest. I actually get a lot of advice and support from my case manager, a successful 9-year RnY patient. She's been there, done that on so many situations and is a wealth of info. I cherish her :)

Definitely an area with lacking consistency. My nut does not approve of veg based Protein and supports fat and dairy.

No alcohol at beginning is mostly because of healing and limited space being needed for protein and Water. After one year, they have cited the growing concern with cirrhosis and liver disease for bariatric patients and increased alcoholism.

I am late responding, but wondering how things are going for everyone. I was sleeved on June 23. I lost 15 pounds prior to surgery and had lost 18 more at my last appointment (July 11). I haven't weighed since because my scales are packed. We are in the middle of a move and things have been super hectic. (I highly recommend never having life-altering surgery while moving - especially when there are 12 days between closings!) I still am on liquids until my next appointment on Monday. I feel like I am able to drink Clear Liquids without any problems (and Protein shakes a little slower without problems) so I have been worried that my sleeve is too big or that I have overdone it and stretched it. I started eating egg drop Soup this week because we have moved from a rental house (AirBNB) to a hotel and trying to cook and strain Soup is too complicated. I didn't feel full after eating about 3/4 cup of it, but I stopped anyway. I read other people on here saying that they were able to tolerate liquids without problems, but felt stuffed after eating only a few bites of food. Have any of you had that experience? I hope to start soft foods after my next appointment on Monday. Have you found any good resources for soft food ideas? I close on my new house tomorrow and will go shopping over the weekend to buy some real food (I cannot wait!!)