Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Work trying to make me delay surgery

While we do have a union at my hospital we are not union for my profession.

I have tried to work with my boss, first asking for good times for three weeks off and when he said that just wasn't possible then I asked him if he had any availability for only two weeks off. The answer was a flat out no. I do qualify for FMLA and while I don't want to "anger the bull." This manager is notorious for trying to keep me from taking any time off at all. Here is my reasoning for this: I work all the areas in my department and I work day shift and afternoon shift. I am known for picking up extra hours whenever they need me too and I do special projects for both my manager and others in my area. I am in great standing as of attendance and my work ethic and it just seems like the punish the good workers and let the lazy ones do whatever they wish. I asked for two weeks off last Feb to go to Ireland and it was a huge fight. In the end they didn't have a reason I couldn't go other then they didn't want me to and our dept director approved it. I gave them over 6 months notice and they still weren't going to let me go. Yet another coworker took two weeks off at Christmas and Noone batted an eye. I want to have this surgery as soon as possible both for my health and so that as soon as I get back on my feet and good and healed I can quit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using the BariatricPal App

Edited by SashaMLS

If you are sure that the union will not step in and "take control", and you feel you have done everything as "rightfully" as possible, THEN

It's time for other things "to take place"...

Maybe it's time to have "emergency surgery" when you get closer to your WLS date????

There are many ways of coming in "through the back door", but keep in mind that doing so will not ingratiate you to/with Adm.

I don't remember, sorry, but did you ask adm. what time period could you get the requested time off? Maybe working backwards like that might be an option.

Stand strong and assertive---not aggressive.

Hoping nothing but the best for you.

Please keep me up on your progress. Yes, I really care. :)

If you are sure that the union will not step in and "take control", and you feel you have done everything as "rightfully" as possible, THEN

It's time for other things "to take place"...

Maybe it's time to have "emergency surgery" when you get closer to your WLS date????

There are many ways of coming in "through the back door", but keep in mind that doing so will not ingratiate you to/with Adm.

I don't remember, sorry, but did you ask adm. what time period could you get the requested time off? Maybe working backwards like that might be an option.

Stand strong and assertive---not aggressive.

Hoping nothing but the best for you.

Please keep me up on your progress. Yes, I really care. :)

Yes I sent multiple emails asking when would be the best dates for them for me to have my surgery. Whether I take 2 weeks off or 3 weeks off. My answer eventually after a week of emails is 9/12 final offer

I take it that 9/12 is unacceptable to you?

Can you trade with another employee? Can you "bump" another employee because of seniority?

Think! Think! Think!

How can you get a closer date/?????

Even though, in the Fall, you won't have the "summer heat" to battle.,,,BUT I understand how eager you are to "get started". I was too. :)

I will put my thinking cap on.

Do you actually have a surgery date or is that what you are going to discuss with your team at your next visit?

Keep posting. I'm with ya! :)

I take it that 9/12 is unacceptable to you?

Can you trade with another employee? Can you "bump" another employee because of seniority?

Think! Think! Think!

How can you get a closer date/?????

Even though, in the Fall, you won't have the "summer heat" to battle.,,,BUT I understand how eager you are to "get started". I was too. :)

I will put my thinking cap on.

Do you actually have a surgery date or is that what you are going to discuss with your team at your next visit?

Keep posting. I'm with ya! :)

Here's the thing with the 9/12 date. We have a new system going live that month and there is talk of freezing all time off for it.

I do not have a date yet but will very soon. I just wanted to have it as soon as possible but was will to do it the first part of August to give them over a months notice but they said no. So now I'm in the mind set that I will have asap regardless. I tried to work with him, kept him updated every step of the process with time lines and test results. He was even angry when I told him I didn't have sleep apnea because he knew it would delay my surgery 6 weeks to show compliance with the cpap. He was actually hoping I would have a medical condition where I stop breathing at night so he wouldn't have to give me time off anytime soon.

Again, I caution do NOT antagonize Adm.

You will find yourself unemployed. There are soooo many ways for an Adm. to "get rid of" a "bothersome" employee. Maybe not today, or tomorrow, but they have time on their side.

I am in no way suggestion you lay down to be walked upon. I'm only suggesting that you take the higher road and be direct, but gracious in your demands.

You have already involved your supervisor, so leaving him/her out of the process now is not going to happen.

Work WITH HR. Be the stand up employee that demonstrates that you can negotiate the time off you want without getting yourself onto Administration's "get rid of" list'. (and yes, such lists are a reality.)

On this date: MY opinion.

I was asked by my work to put off mine because we had another employee out on FMLA at the time (interestingly I also work for a hospital system and I also that employee who does special projects, covers just about every other non clinical position.... etc....)

but I had applied for FMLA and I said, I am sorry - this is my health and possibly life we're talking about. I need to get this done as soon as I possibly can.

I did have a little bit of retribution when I came back (scheduled for more late nights, and the lousier ones, etc. but that has stopped once coworkers had felt they had "gotten back at me" and life moved on (except I won't forget who did me wrong)

end of the day they are not going to look for a way to fire me. I am the only one who knows how to do lots of things.

FMLA is your friend. take it out especially in case you have complications. I had 4 weeks continuous leave approved and a year of 2-3 appointments per month approved in case I need them.

I ended up taking 1 week continuous and 3 weeks of 6 hour days and now I still have FMLA protection if I need to go to the doctor for anything even remotely related to the surgery (such as my PCP managing blood pressure med changes as a result of the weight loss)

This is her boss - not necessarily Hospital Administration. If you ever lost your job over this - you have a very strong discrimination case.

Absolutely correct. This is my dept Manger

This is how I did it... I got all of my pre-op stuff done, got the surgeon's office to get me a script that says I'm having surgery on X date and gave work a copy. I called my director, only her voicemail picked up, then I called the clinical manager who does all scheduling. The clinical manager was chill, said he'll take me of the schedule for the next 4 weeks. When I was able to reach the director, she sounded annoyed. They only got slightly more than 1 week notice, and yes Texas is a no union "at will" state. I contacted HR and did the paperwork for short term disability. My procedure was also done at the facility I worked. Had no problems. Some supervisors are bullies. If for some reason you're fired and your insurance ends before your procedure, get an attorney.

I would not worry about making my supervisor angry. Federal laws protect you. Schedule it and talk to your HR department. Your supervisor doesn't have the right to know what procedure you are having or whether or not it is urgent. Don't let he/she bully you.

Document and make copies of every conversation and transaction concerning this. My experience as both a hiring manager and a property manager taught me this one thing:

The one with the most documentation wins!

@@SashaMLS, I am sorry you have to deal with a boss like that. You are absolutely in the right and should be able to have your surgery when you want it, particularly if the only reason to delay is because your boss feels like being mean.

Unfortunately, I think there are two issues here. One, as the others have pointed out, is the legality. What are your rights based on where you live and the place you work? Are you in a place with good employee support?

The other is, how big of a stink do you want to raise? Even if you are totally in the right (which you are) and the law protects you completely, do you want to fight with your boss? Will it make your work life miserable if you don’t comply with your boss’s demand? Would going to HR give you a bad name with your boss or even with your coworkers, thus making work really miserable for you in the future?

Again, sorry about this! These are things you shouldn’t have to deal with at this important time in your life (or ever). Good luck figuring it out.