Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 weeks post op need advice on calorie intake

I am 10 weeks post op today and my numbers are as follows. Start weight 278 current weight 229 I have been moving very very slowly down. I do not think I am getting enough calories I know not enough Protein at all. I get about 40 grams protein and approx 400 calories a day. I am not hungry and nothing tastes the same so I just don't want to eat. Help suggestions please?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I don't know what your Protein target is, but I am sure it isn't 40 grams. 40 grams of Protein and 400 calories at 10 weeks post-op is dangerously low. My protein target is 100 grams and the minimum that my surgeon prescribes is 80 grams. Protein is critical for healing and weight loss.

Whether you feel like eating or not you have got to get in your nutrition. Set an alarm and eat even if you don't feel like it.

Have you talked to your NUT about your challenges and concerns? I highly recommend you make an appointment.

I hear people say 'I don't feel like eating' a lot post surgery, is it super unsympathetic of me to say 'tough?'. You're not supposed to feel like eating, that was the point of the surgery, but we all have to do things we don't feel like doing some of the time. Set an alarm and follow your surgeons instructions, the programme you should be following is a prescription, not advice, and if you don't follow it you're setting yourself for major problems down the road.

@@kelwilliams It is so important that you get enough Protein and fluids - even if you don't feel like eating. Your body and mind need protein to function. If you aren't getting enough - your body will start to break down muscle mass. You will get very sick. You've had a tremendous weight loss in 10 weeks but if you don't start to increase your protein/calories you will have issues including ruining your metabolism.

49 lbs in 10 weeks is SLOW? Please tell me you are joking. I am 5 weeks post op today and have only lost 14 pounds. Now THAT is slow!

@@kelwilliams You sound a lot like how I was at that point. My Protein goal was 80 gms per day, took me 18 months of eating ONLY lean/low fat/fat free Protein sources to hit that goal. My NUT told me to eat NOTHING that wasn't a high source of protein, get as much calorie free liquid in as possible and take my Vitamins daily. I was allowed NO veggies or fruits and, of course, no flour, sugar, rice, Pasta, potatoes, bread, etc...

Maybe soft things will be easier; protein puddings, fat free Greek yogurt, egg beaters or whites, etc...

Here are some recipes: https://ormcbariatric.wordpress.com/2012/08/22/thank-you-to-de/ and here:  https://ormcbariatric.wordpress.com/2013/01/07/high-protein-yummy-great-recipes/

It takes time to heal, just follow your NUT's instructions. Remember, you have a large incision up the side of your stomach that is healing, you may have a lot of swelling, too.

It gets better.

Edited by TheRealMeIsHere!

@TheRealMelsHere! Thank you for the help and not scolding. My goal Protein is 70 to 80 grams. I am eating lean Proteins on 2 ounces 2 to three times a day. I am scared to eat more and stretch my stomach plus I am full at that.

Thank you for the websites as well. I will check them out tonight. My next appointment with my nut is next month so I have a list of questions. :)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

at that point, I couldn't handle much more than that either and was TERRIFIED of stretching my stomach. It happens some on it's own with time, I just didn't want to give it any help, lol! The key is to eat more often. Do you supplement with Protein shakes? I used the EAS AdvantEdge and could only do half at one time. I'd put it in the fridge and finish later. I probably had a Protein every 2 hours. I still wasn't hitting my goal, but I did my best, it's all you can do. Remember the rule of keeping liquids to a half hour before & after. Chewing VERY thoroughly helps, too. And don't fill that tiny tummy with anything that doesn't help you reach that protein goal. You are just beginning, it's a journey.