Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Prescribed vegan diet

Hello,

My surgeon and his team basically have prescribed a vegan based diet following bariatric surgery. I was sleeved on 03/01/16 and have been following this diet as much as I can. I am struggling somewhat but wanted to know how others have done on this type of diet.

I have been vegetarian before -throughout my teenage years, but as of late I find myself wanting to be completely raw. Not sure if that's due to it already reaching 100 degrees in Texas or if it's me being lazy.

Any one else in the same boat?

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

It's interesting that you were prescribed vegan diet post-op. I wish my NUT was that progressive. They support a vegetarian diet but not a vegan one.

I ate mostly vegan before surgery and would like to switch back as soon as possible but I'm not sure if I can manage it.

It's ok. Just hard sometimes for me when my GERD tries to act up. However, it's hard to find a community outside my surgeons office that follows the same thing. Across Instagram (where I follow a lot of people for inspiration) people are worried about Protein goals and calories.

My surgeon said I can eat as much as I want and as often as I want as long as it's fruits & vegetables. There's no way you can be Protein deficient. I'm trying to stay within those rules but sometimes a girl just wants a grimy pizza or milk chocolate. Not that I've given in yet, but my mind still plays tricks.

I try to eat this way most of the time it's tough. Here is great cookbook if you can get over the silly tone of the book and don't mind some salty language they have excellent recipes. post-146352-14664598588608_thumb.jpg

I started a vegan lifestyle as soon as i got my surgery. Did not told this to my surgeon. I know he wouldn't approved. It has been a little difficult to keep a good balance.

So far i have learn:

1. EAT YOUR GREENS...at least 5 times a week!! at least 2 cups of kale or spinach or some other leafy greens
  2. take a vegan Vitamin supplement, I use Deva Tiny Tablets
  3. No isolated oils... I use nut butters, and all sort of seeds and nuts. But totally avoid as much as i can isolated oils. The only one i may use 1 time a week is the coconut oil.
  4. eat whole grains, oats, brown rice, whole wheat you name it! every day!!
  5. fall in luv with all types of potatoes, sweets, yams etc.... I have no limits and eat them as much as i can.
  6. I use only organic soy milk!! it has lots of Protein...
  7. no problem with fruits and veggies... eat them with freedom
  8. no process sugars... instead I mixed some stevia with unprocess brown sugar and use that instead, to use less sugar as possible. But also use lots of dates instead.
  9. follow Dr. Gregers Daily Dozen app! this will safe your life!
  10. dont be afraid of carbs ... they are your friends just keep it whole food, low or no oil or process sugars.
  11. and stay away from process vegan food.. is full with additives, salt, sugars and oils.
  12. follow all this and every thing will be great.

Hello,

My surgeon and his team basically have prescribed a vegan based diet following bariatric surgery. I was sleeved on 03/01/16 and have been following this diet as much as I can. I am struggling somewhat but wanted to know how others have done on this type of diet.

I have been vegetarian before -throughout my teenage years, but as of late I find myself wanting to be completely raw. Not sure if that's due to it already reaching 100 degrees in Texas or if it's me being lazy.

Any one else in the same boat?

Thank you.

Hello - just curious who your surgeon was?

Hi!

You know, I decided long ago to join the ranks of a vegetarian, one person advised me to start, for my health and lose weight.

Read more: http://happybody.tv/vegan-diet-and-weight-loss/

I'm just trudging on the fact that I do not eat fish, meat and seafood. I started to cook, for what I did not like before, and cooking is now a pleasure, and it turns out magically delicious.

Edited by alya_s9

On 11/21/2016 at 10:50 AM, readyintx said:

Hello - just curious who your surgeon was?

My surgeon was Dr. primomo