Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low carb products

Okay, I'm more than meeting my Protein and Fluid requirements and will be starting to transition off the soft food stage. I know to avoid bread, Pasta, and other high carb foods. But, I'm curious about alternatives. What's your take on things like low carb tortillas? Is low carb Pasta a thing? What's your favorite noodle alternative? And do you think it's a slippery slope, so it's just best to avoid these products?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

So, the thing for me with low-carb substitutions is that they still take up SPACE. Space is a very very precious commodity when your restriction is severe and you still need to meet your Protein goals. Could I have a little low carb tortilla or some high protein Pasta? Sure. But it will leave less room for my primary protein sources. I just don't bother with those things.

Okay, I'm more than meeting my Protein and Fluid requirements and will be starting to transition off the soft food stage. I know to avoid bread, Pasta, and other high carb foods. But, I'm curious about alternatives. What's your take on things like low carb tortillas? Is low carb Pasta a thing? What's your favorite noodle alternative? And do you think it's a slippery slope, so it's just best to avoid these products?

All good? I am wondering about the same thing.

Sent from my SM-G930T1 using the BariatricPal App

Slippery slope, stay far away IMO. You don't need fake Pasta or "low carb" tortillas. Adopt a way of eating that embraces the healthy choices you have, not something that substitutes a second-rate version of what is a crap food in the first place.

So, the thing for me with low-carb substitutions is that they still take up SPACE. Space is a very very precious commodity when your restriction is severe and you still need to meet your Protein goals. Could I have a little low carb tortilla or some high Protein Pasta? Sure. But it will leave less room for my primary protein sources. I just don't bother with those things.

That's a very good point. I am meeting my protein goals, and that alone fills me up plenty.

I asked this in my Nutrition appointment today. I was advised to avoid all pasta, bread and rice for the reason @@JamieLogical indicated (expands and takes up too much room). In my case - pasta and bread are a slippery slope - and trigger further carb cravings (usually sweets) so I will be avoiding them.

Slippery slope, stay far away IMO. You don't need fake Pasta or "low carb" tortillas. Adopt a way of eating that embraces the healthy choices you have, not something that substitutes a second-rate version of what is a crap food in the first place.

Yes, I think I just needed to hear this. I have never tried spaghetti squash, and I just heard of zoodles, so maybe those are better options than fake Pasta. I'm also really wanting some crunch. Looking forward to nuts, and crunchy peppers with tuna salad. Any other ideas? What about whole grain crackers?

A great alternative to Pasta is spaghetti squash. Other alternatives are zucchini noodles or broccoli slaw to replace pasta. You can also take spaghetti squash and make crispy hash brown alternatives with it. I try to eat super low carb so IF I have room after my Protein I will eat some veggies but since I'm not a big veggie fan I had to get creative with using the veggies as a starch replacement. I don't know where you are at but here at Publix grocery store they have Golden brand zucchini pancakes. They are not a regular pancake they are a savory veg side but they are really small and very good to go with my fish or chicken at dinner.< /p>

Edited by reree6898

A great alternative to Pasta is spaghetti squash. Other alternatives are zucchini noodles or broccoli slaw to replace Pasta. You can also take spaghetti squash and make crispy hash brown alternatives with it. I try to eat super low carb so IF I have room after my Protein I will eat some veggies but since I'm not a big veggie fan I had to get creative with using the veggies as a starch replacement. I don't know where you are at but here at Publix grocery store they have Golden brand zucchini pancakes. They are not a regular pancake they are a savory veg side but they are really small and very good to go with my fish or chicken at dinner.

Oh, I LOVE the idea of using spaghetti squash or zucchini to make crispy hash browns! Huevos Rancheros is one of my favorite meals, so I will definitely try this. A veggie hash brown, topped with egg, cheese, and green chili. Yum!

Cauliflower grated . Just like rice .

Sent from my GT-I9195 using the BariatricPal App

As I was coming out of the soft foods stage.....there simply isn't enough room in a 1/4 cup sized meal for anything but Protein.

All that other stuff simply doesn't fit, thusly was avoided.

Now that I've been told to push towards 1 full cup of food there is room to get my Protein in...and add some vegetables, too.

1/4 cup isn't much food. Stick with protein. This is the point in the weight loss focus where we shouldn't be concerned about food focus....it's not about wonderful flavors and such......it's simply about getting the nutrition and moving on. Break the food focus and get going with the losing.

Re: whole grain crackers. Personally I don't think grains of any sort are a good idea in weight loss mode or until you have been successfully maintaining for at least six months. They will still cause cravings, are very calorie-dense, and provide very little in terms of nutrition. Also, indulging things like "I want something crunchy" or "I want something salty" or "I want something sweet" is how we all got obese in the first place. For me it's been really important to learn that eating is not about entertainment, indulgence, or wish fulfillment. Yes, you should enjoy your food, but it's about nourishment and learning a healthy way to eat, not about satisfying cravings. If you teach yourself that you absolutely must satisfy your cravings somehow, then you'll always be a slave to them. The only way you can kick them to the curb is to ignore them and teach yourself that there are other ways to entertain, amuse, and comfort yourself.

It is important to maximize your weight loss during the weight loss stage. This stage is fairly short. Then you will slide naturally into the maintenance phase. For that reason, it is important to follow the guidelines, in order to get the most out of your surgery.

As I was coming out of the soft foods stage.....there simply isn't enough room in a 1/4 cup sized meal for anything but Protein.

Now that I've been told to push towards 1 full cup of food there is room to get my Protein in...and add some vegetables, too.

1/4 cup isn't much food. Stick with protein. This is the point in the weight loss focus where we shouldn't be concerned about food focus....it's not about wonderful flavors and such......it's simply about getting the nutrition and moving on. Break the food focus and get going with the losing.

I'm trying to wrap my head around just eating protein as being healthier than protein and veggies. Do you just take Vitamins for what you are missing in veggies? All my life I have been told to eat more veggies to be healthy and that Vitamins are a poor replacement. Is this outdated science?

I'm trying to wrap my head around just eating protein as being healthier than protein and veggies. Do you just take Vitamins for what you are missing in veggies? All my life I have been told to eat more veggies to be healthy and that Vitamins are a poor replacement. Is this outdated science?

As you have more room, then as far as I am concerned veggies are perfectly fine. We do need the Fiber from fresh vegetables and even some fruit/berries. Just make sure you are able to get in your protein first.