Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need your help - coming up on 1 year surgiversary...

Peeps,

I hope you don't mind, but for the next 9 weeks I'm going to use this post as an accountability post. I need your help. My one year "surgiversary" is coming up in 9 weeks on 8/17. I have been stalling at around 187-189 for a while now. Prior to that I was stuck in the low 190's and I did a 5 day rest. My original goal was 165. I am keeping that as my stretch goal but right now my goal is 175 by 8/17.

I am asking my bariatricpal friends for help. I know that ultimately the goal is my own, and only I can do it, but any advice, etc. from people who have been there, done that, or even newer peeps who are working it would be appreciated!

I have struggled before and coming to these boards for support has been a huge help.

Thanks in advance!

Margie

Best of luck to you, @@Margie122!

I'm nine months out and have a little less than 30 pounds to lose to get to my first stated goal. I just pushed out of a multi-week stall.

My surgeon actually said he didn't expect me to hit goal by one year. I was really surprised by that because it seems like most people here hit their goal within a year. He said to expect the last weight to come off really slowly and it may take up to 1.5 years out. I'm curious to hear others' take on this.

During my stall, I think I was snacking a bit too much. A couple crackers here and a few bites of dessert there were adding up. I've decided to temporarily abstain from anything off plan. When I want something, I keep reminding myself, "This isn't the last cookie I'm ever going to see." It makes it easier to say no.

I'm also continuing to increase my activity. I'm trying to take long walks with my dogs most days along with exercise classes at the gym and swimming.

Margie, Good morning,

I lived in the 190s for what seemed to be two life times. I hated that stall.

I finally (with my Nut's approval) overloaded my daily into with Protein for three days.--120--130g

Maybe that just shocked my body, but it worked for me. Will that work for you? don't know.

I just felt like I needed to shake my body awake. I am restricted in my exercising right now, so my options are limited.

Does your Nut have any suggestions?

By the way: CONGRATS on your very successful journey so far. I hope it has been a joyful one--until this stall. :)

Please, post and let us know what great plan you come up with to kick your stall in the arse.

Prayers going up.

I'm 5 weeks post op, so I'm still new to this, but I'll be cheering you on! Great job on your weight loss this far, and on reaching out to this group for support and encouragement.

Have you tried changing things up a bit to see if it will kick start some more weight loss? Maybe a change in your exercise regimen or foods? I know from past diet plans that I am very much a creature of habit. Same exercises, same foods, etc. Changing those routines a bit would sometimes help end a stall.

I wonder too if it would help to read post from newbies who are in that excited stage right after surgery. That's me right now. I feel amazing and am so motivated to do this right. Maybe participating in some threads and helping newbies out will be a good reminder of that initial excitement and a motivator to keep it going.

Christi

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Our stats are somewhat similiar. I started my pre surgery diet at 308 (lifetime high more in the 350 range) and I got down to about 190 or so in about 8 months. i stalled out and had to really really work it to get to my goal weight of 158. I went low carb and did high intensity exercise... it was a big push to lose those last 35-40# but it is possible! I am rooting for you to make it to your goal too!!!

I remember the stalls. It felt like they would go on forever, and my weight loss was done.

Your weight loss now will have more stalls, more patience is required, and you will have a better time of it if you find other things to focus on. Just forget the scales. Join a gym or start a new class, stay with protein/high fat foods and your body will slowly (very slowly) release it. Don't try to wake your body up or shock it with diet changes. Just stay the course and it will stop being stubborn and release the last of it's fat.

Most people do not slide into home base reaching their goal weight in 2 weeks. We will gently glide into our goal weight after months. 99% of us go into stall after stall the second year of the surgery. It's going to take as much time to get the last 20 or 30 lbs off as it did to get the first tonage of weight off. Frustrating, but reality.

As I said, find something else to think about. It's hard cause my DS and weight was all I thought about for 2 years. But the more I tried to get the last 20 lbs off, the more stubbornly my body hung onto it. Drove me crazy.

Thank you all who responded!

Gpmed – I think I am snacking too much too. I need to do better with tracking. Crackers, especially Triscuits, are my downfall. I can eat too many of them and when I’m eating Triscuit’s I’m not eating Protein :wacko:

Valentina – I think my body might need a shock too. More Protein, more exercise, and less excuses for now! I have a monthly meeting with my NUT tomorrow and I will get some suggestions from him. He was very helpful in breaking my first stall. Thanks for the prayers, I will take them!

Cseidman – Congrats on your loss so far! I too have become a creature of habit and I need to mix things up. Sounds like you are doing well on your journey…I wish you continued success.

Cowgirljane – thanks for the encouragement. I can do low carb, it’s the high intensity exercise that I need to do. I have to find something that works for me.

Janet1000 – Yes you are right, more patience is definitely required J I have a great yoga series on DVD that is supposed to be great for toning that I am going to try. I am also going to try to not go crazy losing this last 23.6lbs!

I really do appreciate everyone’s kind words, encouragement, and strategies for moving forward.

Today I woke up feeling cautiously optimistic! I found my fitbit charger and I’m wearing it again. Today I resolve to: get my Water in, log my food, and make conscious meal choices at the restaurant I am going to tonight with people from work. That’s what I can do to help myself today.

@@Margie122 You have a really good outlook and it's inspiring! Your thinking sounds spot on — what can you do to help yourself today? You're controlling what you can by looking out for those little steps you can take that all add up. Believe me, I understand it's hard not to let these last pounds drive you crazy. I keep reminding myself that if I do the right things, it will come off, just like all the other weight. I hope your nut is helpful!

I had to really push myself this morning to get out of bed for my walk. I'm really glad I did. I was thinking, does one day really matter? It does. One day is part of a habit. One day sets the tone for how easily I give in the next time I don't feel like doing it. It makes a difference and how I feel and how well I have my head in the game. And it helps determine how seriously I take all the other little steps I need to take.

Thanks for this thread, btw. It's help to hear from someone in the same boat as me and to hear all the suggestions!

Edited by gpmed

So I haven't been back to this post for a long time, but it's not because I fell off track. On June 20th I came home to find my mom on the floor. She had a stroke. It was very scary and I have cried every day. She is only 66 years old and is a vibrant, active, wonderful person. It's a right sided stroke and it affected her left side. She can't really move her left arm or leg at all. Unfortunately they couldn't give her that drug if you get to a stroke victim early enough. She was awake when I found her. She had been on the floor for about 4 hours. My friend's mom is a retired nurse and worked with stroke victims. She told me to move my mom's arm and leg every day so her muscle memory would stay. I was at the hospital as many hours a day as I possibly could. She went into AFIB while she was there and they determined that was the cause of her stroke. We didn't know she had it. The cardiologist said it is very difficult to detect and no one did anything wrong - not me, not mom, etc... Mom had been in the ER twice in the last year with GERD and chest pain and each time they checked out her heart and told her it was fine. She was in a great ER and they have a great cardiac team.

After diagnosing AFIB they brought her to the cardiac ICU. She progressed and was in the step-down Neuro unit and then a regular room. On Tuesday 6/28 she was stable enough to be moved to rehab. I worked with the case manager at the initial hospital to get her into the best rehab possible. It's rated one of the top 6 rehab hospitals in the country. I am lucky to live where I do and have such choice in healthcare. I know we are lucky that she has good insurance (private) and Medicare. She is in an acute rehab facility and the goal is once she has progressed to where her medical needs are not so high that she can go to the regular rehab facility and continue working on moving.

She has physical, occupational, and speech therapy. They do some vision training, music therapy, etc. They keep her busy in the hospital. That is my goal...to keep her busy and not getting depressed. I am going to talk to the case manager at the rehab to make sure they have her evaluated for depression. Mom is a fighter, but even the strongest need help at times.

She has a very long road ahead. Luckily she has an army of support behind her and it is a true testament to the way she lived her life and the person she is because I have heard from so many people offering support, doing things at the house (watering plants, feeding animals, bringing out the trash) and sending cards, and flowers.

Sorry for the long post. In all of this I have not turned to food for comfort. I find the only joy that food brings me is when I can find something that she can have (hospital approved) that brings some brightness to her day. I am truly eating just to survive to be healthy and be strong for my mom.

I would appreciate any and all good thoughts/prayers for my mom.

Thanks for listening.

Margie

I am so sorry that you and your mom are having to go through this but I am so glad to hear that you aren't letting it overwhelm you and sabotage your eating. It really sounds like your mom is very lucky to have your presence and capability. Being as healthy as possible will benefit both of you in this extremely stressful time.

I am definitely sending good thoughts and prayers your way.

Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Inner Surfer Girl - thank you for your kind words. Yes being as healthy as possible will benefit the both of us. That is what is keeping me going. I have little to no interest in food but I know I have to eat to stay healthy. I'm still wearing my fitbit and trying to get my 10,000 steps in a day. Some days I do really well and others not so much. When I'm at the hospital I want to be by her side and that doesn't equate to a lot of steps at times.

My NUT from my bariatric program has been great. He has been very helpful with suggesting certain readings that might comfort me and reminding me to take care of myself. My mother's bariatric surgeon has been great too - she called me to tell me how sorry she was to hear about my mom and said she would be more than happy to call the NUT at the rehab to discuss her dietary needs.

It is a beautiful day outside. The sun is shining. The flowers are amazingly bright. But I feel dull. I will get outside for a bit before I go to see her at the hospital. I'm going to a friends house for a few hours today for a cookout. Honestly I don't want to go, but it will be good for me to do it.

Well I weighed in this morning. I'm down to 180lbs. I should be delighted, but the only reason I'm down this low is because of my mother's health issues. I really don't have much interest in food, I'm eating just to stay healthy and survive and be there for her in her time of need. The hospital she is in right now, while excellent for her rehab, stinks in the food department. They do stock decent coffee (a must!) and a variety of Protein bars.

My goal is still 165lbs...so 15lbs to go. I have a Protein shake for Breakfast. There wasn't anything to pack for lunch but I'm working downtown I can hit Whole Foods for a salad with some Protein.< /p>

1 year surgiversary is coming up on 8/17. My appointment with the NUT and my surgeon is scheduled for 8/23.

Six weeks til the big day. Hopefully by that time mom has made some serious progress with her rehab and is walking. That would be the biggest joy I could have.

Ok...so I guess even when you feel like the whole world is crashing down around you YOUR APPETITE can and will come back. Your appetite for CR@P. Nipping it in the bud today, AND NOT going to use my mother's health issues as a crutch or an excuse to eat what I want.

My appetite isn't what it was, but I can certainly eat more than I did when it first happened 3 weeks ago. Sorry for the rambling.....

Yesterday was 3 weeks since mom had the stroke. She is doing better, had the feeding tube removed on Sunday and she feels so much better. I'm trying to make sure SHE gets in enough calories I have to CONSTANTLY remind them "SHE HAS A TUMMY THE SIZE OF A SMALL banana AND SHE CANNOT GET ALL HER CALORIES IN 3 MEALS A DAY!" She's not eating enough. I had to recommend ENSURE mid morning and mid afternoon. I want to make sure she gets in enough Protein. Hospitals don't carry anything else (except maybe THRIVE ice cream) - and I they can't be counted on to make a Protein shake.

Of course they sent her up strawberry Ensure (which is really gross) and she had wanted coffee or chocolate. I don't think they have coffee so I ordered 20 of them online and they will be here tomorrow.

My NUT reached out to me via email again yesterday to see how I was doing. I am going to try to get to my monthly support meeting on the 21st. I'm going to make it happen. My 1 year surgiversary is 8/17.......the goal is 165..... still trying to hit it.

Hope all is well with everyone else out in Bariatricpal land.....stay safe :)

@@Margie122 I'm so sorry to hear of your Mom's health issues. In 2013, my Dad suffered a stroke and thankfully he was on the phone with the RN from his PCP's office and she sensed something was wrong and called 911. He didn't suffer any permanent effects (Thank God). Your Mom is so lucky to have you by her side! Stay strong and positive! You and Mom will be in my thoughts and prayers!