Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Balloon Removal

My six months are up! My balloon will be removed tomorrow!!! I have lost 35 lbs.

Has anyone else had theirs removed? I have no idea how I will be feeling. I hope I don't feel as bad as when I had the procedure done!

Congratulations on 35 lbs! My removal is scheduled for Jul 22. Mixed emotions. I am afraid of feeling hungry and going back to old ways, but am looking forward to feeling normal again. I have been feeling hungry the last week or so, so am going to have to be diligent about my eating habits. I have only lost 25 lbs. Have not lost anything in the last 4 weeks. But I have gone down 2 pants sizes so I feel pretty good about this decision. Good luck tomorrow. Please keep us posted, I would love to know how you felt after the procedure.

My balloon was removed today. Since I can't find any information on the patient's experience, I'm going to post mine.

When I got there they started an IV with fluids. I was given Pepcid and some "happy drugs" in my IV. My removal was delayed due to someone needing an emergency appendectomy. This was a perfect time for a nap since my "happy drugs" had now kicked in. Finally it was my turn!!! ????????????. I was first given oxygen and then the anesthesiologist said we'll see you in recovery!!! After giving him the thumbs up ???????? I woke up in recovery!!!

I woke up coughing and an extremely sore throat. After I had recovered they wheeled me to a room and I sat in a chair. I feel great, just a little hung over. The doctor told me to do liquids for 24 hours!!! The sore throat is from a breathing tube they use to make sure removing the balloon does not block your breathing!!!

You are the second person that mentioned the sore throat, so good to know to expect that. Glad that you are feeling ok, otherwise!

Did you follow any special diet the days leading up to the procedure, to make sure there was little to no debris on the balloon that could be breathed into the lungs?

My instructions were to do semi liquid diet two days before so I did Protein Shakes. Clear liquid diet 24 hours before. I had one Protein Shake as soon as I woke up the day before the procedure along with my coffee. I was to have nothing 12 hours before the procedure. I stopped everything at 6 pm. I did have a sugar free mint lifesaver for the dry mouth I had.

Had my balloon removed 2 days ago. I got to the surgery center at 11:30 am and walked out at 2pm. Quick and easy. My doctor forewarned me that they now recommend using a breathing tube during the removal to avoid any complications from inhaling any debris into the lungs which can be very dangerous, post op. I did not love the idea of the breathing tube, as I was not told this when I signed up for the balloon. But, it is what it is. I felt good after the procedure, a little groggy from anesthesia but no pain except a sore throat....until middle of the night when I woke up with extreme torso/neck aches - the deep tissue pain you get when you work out really hard. For two days every movement of my upper body was excruciating - turning over in bed was impossible. My doctor brushed it off as muscle spasms. But when I researched the internet, it seems that the muscle relaxant the anesthesiologist used before inserting the breathing tube, can have this post surgery effect. NOT FUN, and advil was useless. Oh well, just add it to the possible side effects of the balloon.

Also, and I do not know if this is a side effect of the balloon, but the doctor discovered a hiatal hernia when he removed the balloon. He never mentioned it when he inserted the balloon, so I can only deduce the balloon caused this new feature in my body!!! OK...will have to deal with that later in life I guess.

My wrap up of the balloon:

Yes it was worth it, if you have 50-60 pounds or less to lose and do not qualify for sleeve and have tried unsuccessfully to lose on your own, but you have to be motivated to work. You need to watch your food choices and you need to exercise. The weight doesn't just fall off on its own after the initial weight loss from reduced calories.

The good: I lost 32 pounds, going from a 35 BMI to a 29. Brought all my medical stats down to normal range (blood pressure, cholesterol, sleep apnea) and dropped 2 pant sizes. But more importantly, it taught me to be more thoughtful and strategic about my food choices. I still have 25 pounds left to go, on my own, but more than half way there is a great, empowering feeling! Very motivated!!

The bad (MY experience): Lots of gas (livable) that causes bloating and discomfort. Severe acid reflux the first 6 weeks that got under control once I increased omneprazole dosage. Woke up in the middle of the night, several times, with extreme throat pain from acid reflux. And lastly, I did not lose the big weight the first 2 weeks that everybody else experienced, so I was very discouraged during the time I felt the sickest. And finally the post balloon muscle pain I experienced is/was excruciating for 2+ days.

The not so bad: Over stuffed feeling after meals (the first 3 months.) Vomiting a few times, minimal, the first week. Nausea in the early am and late pm the first few weeks that is controllable, for me, with doctor prescribed meds. Nausea on long car rides (I guess because of the position of the balloon as I sat upright.)

@@jansluv - what a great post. Thanks for sharing! So happy for your success, and sorry about the ill effects. Now you have me worried about my removal - lol! Will be curious to hear what my doc says ... I will definitely share with him what your doc said, and what you experienced. Seeing as I am only like patient #3, he may not have that much knowledge on the subject ... :unsure: Best wishes on your continued success!!

Had my balloon removed 2 days ago. I got to the surgery center at 11:30 am and walked out at 2pm. Quick and easy. My doctor forewarned me that they now recommend using a breathing tube during the removal to avoid any complications from inhaling any debris into the lungs which can be very dangerous, post op. I did not love the idea of the breathing tube, as I was not told this when I signed up for the balloon. But, it is what it is. I felt good after the procedure, a little groggy from anesthesia but no pain except a sore throat....until middle of the night when I woke up with extreme torso/neck aches - the deep tissue pain you get when you work out really hard. For two days every movement of my upper body was excruciating - turning over in bed was impossible. My doctor brushed it off as muscle spasms. But when I researched the internet, it seems that the muscle relaxant the anesthesiologist used before inserting the breathing tube, can have this post surgery effect. NOT FUN, and advil was useless. Oh well, just add it to the possible side effects of the balloon.

Also, and I do not know if this is a side effect of the balloon, but the doctor discovered a hiatal hernia when he removed the balloon. He never mentioned it when he inserted the balloon, so I can only deduce the balloon caused this new feature in my body!!! OK...will have to deal with that later in life I guess.

My wrap up of the balloon:

Yes it was worth it, if you have 50-60 pounds or less to lose and do not qualify for sleeve and have tried unsuccessfully to lose on your own, but you have to be motivated to work. You need to watch your food choices and you need to exercise. The weight doesn't just fall off on its own after the initial weight loss from reduced calories.

The good: I lost 32 pounds, going from a 35 BMI to a 29. Brought all my medical stats down to normal range (blood pressure, cholesterol, sleep apnea) and dropped 2 pant sizes. But more importantly, it taught me to be more thoughtful and strategic about my food choices. I still have 25 pounds left to go, on my own, but more than half way there is a great, empowering feeling! Very motivated!!

The bad (MY experience): Lots of gas (livable) that causes bloating and discomfort. Severe acid reflux the first 6 weeks that got under control once I increased omneprazole dosage. Woke up in the middle of the night, several times, with extreme throat pain from acid reflux. And lastly, I did not lose the big weight the first 2 weeks that everybody else experienced, so I was very discouraged during the time I felt the sickest. And finally the post balloon muscle pain I experienced is/was excruciating for 2+ days.

The not so bad: Over stuffed feeling after meals (the first 3 months.) Vomiting a few times, minimal, the first week. Nausea in the early am and late pm the first few weeks that is controllable, for me, with doctor prescribed meds. Nausea on long car rides (I guess because of the position of the balloon as I sat upright.)

thanks for sharing and I think you've done a brilliant job!

I have my balloon removed in the morning, have lost 39lbs and know I need to lose more. Terrified of putting the weight back on. Haven't had any trouble with the balloon so of course I am worried I will have the problems when its gone. I asked my surgeon if I needed to eat specific things prior to my op and he said no, to eat normally. Let's hope that doesn't kick him in the ass tomorrow haha. Didn't have a sore throat when I had balloon fitted so hope it's same procedure tomorrow. Wish me luck ????????

Sent from my HTC One M9 using the BariatricPal App

I have my balloon removed in the morning, have lost 39lbs and know I need to lose more. Terrified of putting the weight back on. Haven't had any trouble with the balloon so of course I am worried I will have the problems when its gone. I asked my surgeon if I needed to eat specific things prior to my op and he said no, to eat normally. Let's hope that doesn't kick him in the ass tomorrow haha. Didn't have a sore throat when I had balloon fitted so hope it's same procedure tomorrow. Wish me luck

Best wishes to you! I hope it all goes smoothly and that you come out of it feeling energized and motivated to keep things moving in the right direction. :-) Take care and please keep us posted. Cheers!

Out of hospital with a little bit of a sore throat. Official weigh in today and lost 3 stone, that's 42lbs ... so happy. Now the work begins

that ia amazing work! well done!