Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had a knee surgery about two months ago and about 2 days after the surgery I lost my sense of taste. (doctors don't have any idea why!) I lost my sense of taste a couple of knee surgeries ago two, but for only for about a week. NOW I have been told that this could also happen during the VSG surgery too. Thoughts? has this happened to anyone else??? I should be on schedule for VSG, late Aug or early Sept, I am almost finished with my 6 month supervised diet. the 30th of June I finish up month 5.

Edited by ojibway

Same for me. My personal opinion is that it's because of anesthesia and post-op meds. With bariatric surgery, loss of taste is to your advantage. It helped me to discover new healthier foods, especially since I was learning to eat without the filter of grease, salt and sugar. I learned what real food tastes like. Real food - those are foods that you can dig, pick, and chase. All that other stuff in packages at the grocery store is what I call "factory edibles".

I've heard of that happening. Is it due to the anesthesia? or being intubated?

After WLS, my tastes have drastically changed and flattened, but didn't disappear completely.

Please let us know when you find out why this happens.

Prayers going up...

Miss Mac, I cannot taste anything. so I guess it is an advantage! hahaha. I can smell everything I eat but NO taste whatsoever! It is very strange.

This sounds Horrible!!! poor thing....I mean, if I eat a carrot, I want to taste a frickin carrot!!!!

Maybe it is your bodies way of responding to the trauma of the surgery since its not like our bodies are cut on a regular basis. Hopefully you will get that sense back soon!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 4 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

4. AmberFL

How are you doing? any update?!

• jparadigm

Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches