Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Adult beverages after the sleeve?

I'm assuming beer is a no no due to the gas it creates...how about wine? and how soon after surgery...within the first year?

You should discuss this with your nutrition and surgical team. Everyone gets different guodelines

awesome!! thank you so much for the links!!

I truly dislike the answer "talk to your team etc" like yes we know, but we are asking here for diff opinions and how other people react to having different experiences.....I was told never to have alcohol again....I actually drink causally like 3 times a year tops.....and while the first 6 months fine....when I want a cocktail I will have one.....

I truly dislike the answer "talk to your team etc" like yes we know, but we are asking here for diff opinions and how other people react to having different experiences.....I was told never to have alcohol again....I actually drink causally like 3 times a year tops.....and while the first 6 months fine....when I want a cocktail I will have one.....

you should go by what your doctor says, not what random people online say. Just because someone has one particular experience doesn't mean it will be the same for anyone else. The best thing to do is to go by what your doctor says, they know you and your medical history and the details of your particular procedure.

you should go by what your doctor says, not what random people online say. Just because someone has one particular experience doesn't mean it will be the same for anyone else. The best thing to do is to go by what your doctor says, they know you and your medical history and the details of your particular procedure.

At the practice where I am having my surgery, I honestly don't think it has anything to do with my medical history and the details of my particular procedure. I was told on the very first day I was there, attending a support group/info meeting, that BWLS patients are NEVER allowed to have alcohol again. Now... the surgeons weren't even there. Only one of the five NUTs was there, along with a bunch of post-surgery folks and about a dozen of those of us who were just starting our journey There is absolutely no way anyone there knew my medical history or my procedure. Heck, I hadn't even decided IF I was going to have BWLS, much less what type of surgery. I just think this practice is opposed to "wasted" calories and also cautious about the effects of alcohol on the body due to a redesigned/rerouted digestive system, so they say, "Nope, nada, never again" when it comes to alcohol.

I can promise you that I'm not going through this surgery (VGS) to find ways to cheat the system, to try and eat all the crap that got me this fat without gaining weight, but I also know that when my daughter gets married or I'm at a family celebration or something of equal import, I am more than likely going to have a glass of wine or other adult beverage. I can avoid carbonated drinks if I must (although I love a good stout beer or Dark&Stormy), but I am 99% sure that I will not abstain from alcohol forever. Therefore, it's helpful to hear about the experiences of others who've already been down this path. I appreciate the opinions of those who have gone against what might be recommended as much as I do the experiences of those who stick to the straight and narrow. It's all information- not permission, not judgement, not edict- just information that's always handy to have.

Edited by leebick

Before sleeve surgery 3 years ago, I usually had a 1-2 cocktails or glasses of wine a night. Post-op, I didn't drink at all for about 3 months, but I eventually got back to the same 1-2 per night. I had stopped drinking soda about a year before surgery, and haven't gone back. I have found that natural fermentation/carbonation, such as in champagne, doesn't give me a bloated feeling like soda or beer. Best of luck to you!

my plan says to avoid alcohol. However, I love a good glass of wine or whiskey.

but you know they are straight up carbs?

so no way am I doing so in early days when I want to keep loosing weight.

After that I will cautiously try a glass at home with my husband and see how my stomach handles it. I don't like alcohol enough to keep imbibing if it isn't setting right with me anymore. and he and my best friend have permission to tell me straight up if I am not handling it as well as I think I am. I don't need any kind of transfer addictions. no thank you.

You can eventually drink but remember alcohol will have 4-5 times the potency it did before so you will get drunk very quickly if not careful.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I am a little over 9 months post sleeve and indulge in wine from time to time. I log all of my food and beverages into MyFitnessPal each day. I still need to lose a few more pounds and make sure that I hit my calorie and nutrition targets - even if I have a glass of wine.

My surgeon knew that I like to have the occasional cocktail, she advised that after 6 weeks I could have a beverage and warned about Sleeved patients are likely to become alcoholics due to ease of getting drunk. She was cautious and informative. Its nice to know that I can have that drink and its not something I'm not allowed to have.

I was never told that I can never have alcohol again.

I was advised to not have any for a while after surgery but not even given a time line.

I turned the big 4-0 about 6 weeks after surgery. Did I have a glass of wine.

You bet I did! I was turning 40!

Have I had many drinks since...? Um.. yes. Yes I have and no I have not had any problems.

At 11 months post op I am down 118.8 pounds and only 4.6 lbs from goal.

Don't care what people say - I'm gonna have a damn "adult" drink whenever I want.

I've worked very hard to get to where I am - in life and with weight loss.

I'm 40 years old. I can make 40 year old decisions and if drinking alcohol is one of them, I'm gonna do it.

Lol

I have even had a forbidden beer or two. I'll admit it - I don't feel great after a beer because of the carbonation and it filling me up so quickly, so I don't drink them very often at all.

We are all adults and know our own bodies best. I get that the doctor and nutritionist knows a lot about the effects of alcohol but not ever drinking again is unrealistic.

In my opinion.

Obviously we should go by our doctors BUT it is nice to hear other people's reactions and such just saying ask your team is not why I come here....I had a non carbonated Smirnoff cooler....ONE.....I was fine.....am I going to go out drinking every weekend? NO I didn't before so def not now.....but I will have a drink at family gatherings or when out with friends if I choose....more times then not I don't......but I like to hear other people's experiences....I don't go by thing in the "internet" thanks for your time.