Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Liver Reducing diet failure.....

Okay, so I've lost 6 whole pounds on this so far but blew it today with only 5 days left to go till my surgery :( I am so ashamed to say that at work this morning was a feast I should say and I did have some of it...small plate but however I am going to do my best to stay focused on the Protein drinks. I'm so discouraged with myself. I wish I hadn't had any....................................................i'm weak.

Well, you are not the first to fall down that cliff. For motivation, just consider why so many of us have to do that liver shrink. It is because overweight folks have a tendency to have a fatty liver which is enlarged to some degree. Your surgeon is going to go scooting around inside your abdomen with sharp tools and does not want to slice your liver in the process.

Shrinking the liver make it easier to manipulate out of the way so that you doctor can get under it and work on your stomach. Some doctors won't do the surgery or even proceed once they're in there if the liver is too large. The liver shrink liquid diet is a right of passage, and as uncomfortable and inconvenient as it is, you need to be mentally strong enough to push through it. By forcing us to be strong and resist temptation pre-op, our doctors put us in a good place for success post-op. Hang in there. Don't let your taste buds take over.

hey now-don't get so down on your self! i messed up this morning as well-but back on the horse! maybe go for an extra walk and keep chugging that water!

i am having surgery a week after you-so if you need to reach out for some support-send a pm my way. :)

What is your surgery date? I am in the exact same situation as you except I was on liquids yesterday and had one healthy choice frozen entrée (veggies and meat only, 4 carbs, 27g Protein, 1g sugar) and of course my Water and Protein drinks and a 30 min walk. Woke up this morning to gaining almost 3lbs. I have NO idea why this is happening to me! it happened last week also, very restricted diet and I gain weight. When I first started 2 weeks ago I quickly dropped 4lbs...then it just stopped.

I am going straight liquid today and might have to until my op. My surgery is next Thursday 6/16....6 days from today and I am devastated that my weight is going in the opposite direction when it should be going down, has me thinking if this surgery is even going to work for me if my body is going to be so stubborn.

Hang in there! I truly believe that if we can stay strong and breeze through this part of the process, will make the early weeks after the surgery a lot easier on us.

Don't be so hard on yourself. You have two choices.

1) Forgive yourself and get right back on your program for the last five days. Learn from this and see if you can come up with a strategy in case you are tempted again. Or,

2) give up.

You have come so far, I recommend number 1.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Some of us didn't even have a liver shrink diet to begin with! That's right! No liver shrink diet at all and I was HUGE and I did just fine. Just so your best to get right back on the horse and do the best you can with the instructions your surgeon gave you. People screw up, we are human. It's what you do next that determines if you are going to be successful or fail.