Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do I tell my surgeon he screwed up?

I had a barrium swallow test done at one year. It was easy to see just how small my new sleeve was and where it is located inside my body. I agree that you should get that test. It will be just as good as having a picture of your stomach.

Diplomacy will get you farther with that surgeon than coming in with a threat to sue for malpractice. Give him a chance to follow-up on how / why you can eat more than you should be at this time.

One thing I do if someone serves me lumberjack's portion is to set off the amount I should be eating and leave the rest alone. As the daughter of a scientist, I know good and well that "You cannot control that which you do not measure."

To be successful, you do need to find that delicate balance between what you want to eat and what limitations your sleeve should be providing. To eat that much dense Protein without realizing it, is what nutritionists call "mindless eating". I could do it easily with potato chips, A burger and fries, or a pint ice cream.

While you are waiting for that appointment with your bariatric team, start practicing control. Think of your taste buds as a petulant child who holds your success hostage. I used to tell my girls when they were little "Me Mommy - You Kid."

Don't walk in saying "you screwed up" and list a laundry list of why you know it is so. Make an appt, go into his office and tell him you are concerned and then tell him your reasons why, but just don't be accusatory. It's possible that it was done correct and your anatomy and physiology along with your eating habits have made it otherwise. Part of this is going to be on you though for not measuring out and limiting your portions to begin with despite the lack of restriction, but there may be something else going on and a simple Bariatric swallow test should show if there is an abnormality in the size of your pouch. If it comes back that all is well with your sleeve, you really should follow up with your NUT and psych to make a plan to get back on track, because I have a feeling there is more to the eating a 20oz steak than just in a delightful conversation. Even with a full size stomach I couldn't eat a 20oz steak although it never stopped me from trying. You could be just pushing the food out the bottom into your intestines or something.

Thank you to the last few replys, I did make an appointment with my dr today, it is scheduled for the 14th of July.

In the mean time i will try measuring out 1/2 cup of food per meal and see what happens, Tho I really don't think I would be remotely satisfied only having 1 egg for a meal like another poster said in their example.

I really hope to have the swallow test done and get some answers, but to be honest.. I don't think I would go through another surgery even if it comes back as being twice the size as it should be.

You're not eating for satisfaction any more. You're eating to live.

You guys keep suggesting I set out to eat a 20 oz steak when I've made it clear that's the farthest thing from the truth!

It was on my plate because it was fresh off the grill just as every one else's was, we were at a cook out and left over meat was going home with the person it was plated to. For the 3rd time, My intention was to have the 4ish oz felet side and that's it, I did NOT set out to eat the whole thing, it just kinda happened before I realized it.

Another concern of some of you was if I am following the Drs rules, yes to the best of my knowledge I am, he has no restrictions on volume but the paper says we should eat until comfortable and no more, and to stop after 20 mins.

It does say however that our capisaty is about 1/2 cup which is clearly not the case with me.

I didn't progress to solid foods until I got the ok either.

Some of you say that we can't rely on the sleeve to reduce out intake but should rely on our will power. Are you serious? Why did you have the sleeve in the first place if you could simply rely on your own will power?

I did t come here to get slammed about having to large a piece on my plate to start with when we were away from home, having a cookout and every one was being handed the same cut of meat off the grill!

I came to ask how to bring up my concerns that it seems my sleeve is much large than it should be without making my surgeon mad.

If your gonna howl about the meat shouldn't have been there to start with please go back and real ALL my replays to this thread first!

You are absolutely right. I have no doubt that you had no intention of eating such a huge steak. I know that if I eat while doing something else, I may be able to eat more than I should.

You absolutely call your doctor and get some answers. Clearly this is 100% his fault and you did nothing wrong. Your sleeve should absolutely do the work for you, because like you said, why have it if you need to exhibit any will power or pre-portioning? That's crazy!

And yes, if everyone else had it on their plate, you should have it, too. I'd be furious.

Call your doctor and get some answers. You are paying him, you are in ultimately in charge. Who cares if he gets mad? Not your problem.

Good luck to you!!

You guys keep suggesting I set out to eat a 20 oz steak when I've made it clear that's the farthest thing from the truth!

It was on my plate because it was fresh off the grill just as every one else's was, we were at a cook out and left over meat was going home with the person it was plated to. For the 3rd time, My intention was to have the 4ish oz felet side and that's it, I did NOT set out to eat the whole thing, it just kinda happened before I realized it.

Another concern of some of you was if I am following the Drs rules, yes to the best of my knowledge I am, he has no restrictions on volume but the paper says we should eat until comfortable and no more, and to stop after 20 mins.

It does say however that our capisaty is about 1/2 cup which is clearly not the case with me.

I didn't progress to solid foods until I got the ok either.

Some of you say that we can't rely on the sleeve to reduce out intake but should rely on our will power. Are you serious? Why did you have the sleeve in the first place if you could simply rely on your own will power?

I did t come here to get slammed about having to large a piece on my plate to start with when we were away from home, having a cookout and every one was being handed the same cut of meat off the grill!

I came to ask how to bring up my concerns that it seems my sleeve is much large than it should be without making my surgeon mad.

If your gonna howl about the meat shouldn't have been there to start with please go back and real ALL my replays to this thread first!

You are absolutely right. I have no doubt that you had no intention of eating such a huge steak. I know that if I eat while doing something else, I may be able to eat more than I should.

You absolutely call your doctor and get some answers. Clearly this is 100% his fault and you did nothing wrong. Your sleeve should absolutely do the work for you, because like you said, why have it if you need to exhibit any will power or pre-portioning? That's crazy!

And yes, if everyone else had it on their plate, you should have it, too. I'd be furious.

Call your doctor and get some answers. You are paying him, you are in ultimately in charge. Who cares if he gets mad? Not your problem.

Good luck to you!!

LOL...

I had read this thread and just wanted to add that you may not have meant to eat the whole 20 ounce steak but the fact is that you did. I understand that you just took the steak just like everyone else who was there and planned on taking the rest home. As other users have suggested, a great tip for not eating more than you meant to is only keep the portion you are planning to eat on your plate. Either by getting another plate and putting the remainder on the other plate or bringing a Tupperware/take out container and putting the remainder in there before you start to eat.

One thing you said that struck me was that you seemed to think that when other users suggested you should rely on will power instead of your sleeve. The sleeve is just an aid and unfortunately will not fix your weight problem on its own. If it did, so many more people would undergo surgery. You also need to change your habits. You'll have to measure your food, tracking your food and liquids also helps so you know how many calories, liquid, and Protein you are consuming. Making smarter choices is also important. It might not be ideal but in order to a grove maximum weight loss we might not be able to eat what "everyone else" has. Instead of steak, maybe have chicken or shrimp.

It's all about being mindful of what we are consuming.

In reference to you wondering if there is something wrong with your pouch, there is a chance there is, but most likely there is not. When you have a smaller stomach and you eat a larger amount you can forcefully push undigested food into the intestines. This is also why it's important to measure. There also could be a chance you have stretched out your esophagus to accommodate the food that won't fit in your stomach. I do also suggest getting the barium swallow test.

I wish you good luck in the future but I also suggest you start measuring and weighing your food do you can be successful.

A 1,400 calorie hunk of meat with 100 grams of fat was consumed with dinner along with whatever else.

At this point I'd not care about how to tell your surgeon.......id simply set up the appointment and throw it out there to him.

Conversations, coaching, plans moving forward need to be made.

Part of those conversations damn well should be about willpower and developing the skills that will enable you to live well by making healthy choices.

Yeah, what he ^^^ said.

Here it is, Friday. You posted your first comment yesterday. You've gotten more than a mouthful of "advice", Friend.

So-------

Have you called for a consultation with your bariatric surgeon???? If not, why not?

I agree with you----something is wrong. I just don't necessarily agree about where the "problem" lies.

Call. Make an appointment ASAP and get your answers--calmly and factually.

Only then will you know how to proceed.

Good luck to you on your WLS journey. I hope you can make it a joyful one.

Prayers going up for you.

Thank you to the last few replys, I did make an appointment with my dr today, it is scheduled for the 14th of July.

In the mean time i will try measuring out 1/2 cup of food per meal and see what happens, Tho I really don't think I would be remotely satisfied only having 1 egg for a meal like another poster said in their example.

I really hope to have the swallow test done and get some answers, but to be honest.. I don't think I would go through another surgery even if it comes back as being twice the size as it should be.

The whole point of surgery IS so that you will be satisfied with just one egg

Then why do they put TWELVE in the carton!?!?!??!!

So you can be satisfied 12 times

Oh!! That sounds fantastically dirty!!

but you have to wait 3 hours in between?

I don't care how long I have to wait.....I'll call in sick if I have to :P