Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone!

Ramadan has started few days ago and i was wondering if there were any sleevers that are going through fasting for the first time or have something to share with others who are fasting.

i am one month and two weeks post op and my experience with ramadan is going great so far, for those of you who don't know what ramadan is, its the ninth month of the Muslim year where muslims strictly obtain from eating, drinking, smoking and sex from sun rise to sun set for a period of thirty days.

in my region we fast for 4 am to 7 pm a total of 15 hours every day, during I've experienced little to no hunger! which is amazing! BUT it is easy to get extremely dehydrated because my Water intake is limited by feeling sick and bloated if i drink fast or large quantities at times, so i have to remind myself to drink sips of water every few minutes to keep myself hydrated.

Heres a few tips that might help you from my experience,

when it comes to breaking my fast I've noticed that if i ate immediately i will get nauseas and probably won't eat for hours after which is a bad idea because you have little time to get all your Vitamins and nutrians , so instead a glass of water or juice some dates and a break for 15 minutes will do then i go and have something to eat, by that i won't shock my stomach and go from extremely hungry to extremely full in a few seconds.

it is very important in this month in particular to not skip your Multivitamins, it is extremely hard to plan your meals like other days and you'll find yourself gravitating towards fatty foods, sweets and lots of high sugary drinks that will make you feel weak and probably hungry in a few hours so the least you can do is have your vitamins and Protein. if you're craving fatty foods be sure to focus on the healthy ones that will make you feel full and not as guilty, salmon avocados Peanut Butter are some of your good options.

DO NOT WORKOUT WHILE FASTING! its extremely dangerous to your body, your body is already weak during fasting and putting the extra pressure won't do you any good, the best time to work out is after hours of breaking your fast, you'll be reenergized by that time.

Suhor (eating an hour before you fast) is usually the hardest thing to do but it is very important not to skip it, it is usually in the very late at night 3:30 am or 2 am Suhor is there to help you carry on for the next day. for me i keep a covered plate of a sandwich some vegetables yogurt and water next to my bed stand to make sure i never skip it.

i know its sounds funny, but watching other people eat sometimes helps me forget that I'm hungry somehow SO Mukbang eating shows have been so helpful these few days.

that is all i have,

if you have any ideas or suggestion please feel free to share i could use a couple more to help me through Ramadan.

Thank you for your time

and happy Ramadan to all! :lol:

Interesting topic! Thanks for sharing.

I didn't know you don't drink (or have sex!), too. Very interesting.

My biggest struggle would not drinking all day. Once I was able to, I would not be able to eat for a while and once I eat, I can't drink for an hour or it all comes back up.

You must be very organized and disciplined. Good on you!

I'd probably have to skip the bread part of the sandwich and load up on Protein and healthy fats like avocado. Veggies would be hard to squeeze in, too.

My only advice? Make sure you get in your B12. You might even ask your doctor for a b12 shot. It helps immensely with energy.

Joyous Ramadan to you!

I'd probably have to skip the bread part of the sandwich and load up on Protein and healthy fats like avocado. Veggies would be hard to squeeze in, too.

My only advice? Make sure you get in your B12. You might even ask your doctor for a b12 shot. It helps immensely with energy.

thank you so much for your advice! i did get a Multivitamin shot before Ramadan to prevent the weakness that comes with fasting it helped me a lot!

I don't know the specifics of a Ramadan fast, but I would think there would be exceptions for medical reasons. Pregnant women, the elderly, small children, I hear, are allowed exceptions. My thoughts would be...Eating and drinking at this stage for you is almost like taking medicine. If you are taking your "medicine" in a holy way, your body is healing and that physical health may make your prayers stronger. Also look at things this way, this year you need to take "medicine", but next year, a physically healthier you will be better able to handle a fast...still maybe not the entire time of daylight, but MANY more hours. Please understand that these are just thoughts from one who does not know, but are given with the hope that no physical crisis comes at this holy time.

Dear all, I'm bumping up this topic from last year to say that I will begin observing this year. I am today six months post op and Ramadan starts this weekend.

A few thoughts:

I will set a goal for my Water intake and make it a full priority. Vitamins I will take as well, at breaking of fast.

I think I will return to Protein Shakes, and incorporate this to my meals once I have broken my fast. What is a good amount for intake of Protein?

I am staying fully away from carbs. I Love Breakfast foods like eggs etc. so I will have lots of it.

It's very hot right now, so I worry about dehydration the most.

How about Constipation? If I drink enough water, should I worry about this? I would drink teas but fear losing my water intake.

Above all I will be very flexible with my body. If I don't feel good any particular day, I will listen to my body and understand that I will not fast that particular day.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App