Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm two weeks out and lets just say last night the willpower went out the freaking window. My surgeon told me that I was struggling because at my 1 week post op, I had only lost 9#, ever since then, I've had failure prominent in my mind.

Last night I at a hotdog bun, and with every bite I'm standing there thinking "idiot, put it down" but I kept eating. About 10 minutes later I was doubled over the toilet so sick and panic set in. Now I'm consumed with the thought that I've torn everything lose and completely undone the surgery. I am failing and while I want to blame the surgeon, it's my own fault.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom for me?

Yep. You screwed up. Now get over it and get back on track! :)

If you are concerned that you have "hurt" yourself, then please call your bariatric team. Yes, you will probably get a meaningful scolding, but they are the ones who know you best and can guide you.

My surgeon--5yrs ago told me, "You, like everyone else will probably test your boundaries and live to regret it." Make it a learning experience. I bet you won't be repeating your mis-step anytime soon, right?

Make your journey a joyful one. It really can be once you learn to work WITH your new body--not against it. Listen to it. Feel it. It speaks only the truth. Trust it. Trust yourself.

Now. "time out" is over. :)

Back to the business of your WL journey. The sun is shining---enjoy it!!

Prayers going up for you, Friend.

There's no way I'll repeat this stunt. It was terrible, and honestly made me ashamed of myself. Thank you for your words!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

You definitely messed up. But shame on that surgeon for giving you a hard time about "only" losing 9 pounds. What the heck is that!??!?! I only lost 14 pounds in my first full month post-op and my surgeon was thrilled with that.

Next time you want the hot dog, go look at the video of the surgery on you tube... Some shock therapy.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them"

Einstein

I feel ya. Somewhere in the second week post-op I thought I would eat some potato chips. Thinking that I could just enjoy them in my mouth long enough to soften up, I could justify them as a soft food. Miss Tummy made sure that I was miserable for hours. She is a very good teacher. I have been a good girl.

Don't wait until tomorrow. Get back on track with your next meal. When is the last time you lost nine pounds in one week????

I know everyone is different - but I am 1 week post op and have lost 6 lbs - I thought that was awesome .....maybe not ? I have strictly adhered to the Protein shakes/ phase and am coming off 18 lbs pre- op diet loss- slow and steady, right ;)

Sent from my SM-T530NU using the BariatricPal App

I know everyone is different - but I am 1 week post op and have lost 6 lbs - I thought that was awesome .....maybe not ? I have strictly adhered to the Protein shakes/ phase and am coming off 18 lbs pre- op diet loss- slow and steady, right ;)

Yeah, I don't understand why the OP's surgeon would be unhappy about a 9 pound loss in a week. That seems extremely good! I really hate the idea of time-based weight loss goals anyway. Everyone loses at a different pace. As long as the scale trends downward, we all reach our goal eventually. I was a "slow" loser, but it hasn't made a bit of difference since I've been maintaining below goal for 9+ months. Who cares how long it took me to get to goal if I'm able to maintain it the rest of my life?

I have about 200lbs to lose and lost 10lbs in 10 days post op. He was happy, I was happy. If he poo pooed that, I would have been crushed and felt like a complete failure. But I did everything asked of me.

Everyone loses at their own pace. Don’t let the pace take you down. That loss is still a loss. A loss is a win. If you carry around a gallon of milk for a week and put it down and walk away, you will finally feel the weight off of you. But if you take 2 cups a day out of it, it doesn't feel that dramatic.

Sent from my SM-G930P using the BariatricPal App

Let's see how simply I can put this...you need counseling. I'm not saying this from a position of judgment but of fact. If I did exactly what you admitted to doing I would immediately schedule a counseling appointment for myself. I'm not even going to try and say that I would be above doing something like this because I'm not. All I'm saying is you knew how major a screw up this was and you could not stop yourself from hurting yourself. Anyone that does something like this needs professional help. I wish you the best.

Hope you're doing well at this point. :)

I'd like to offer a little context and encouragement for you re expectations for early post-op weight losses.

Pre-op I lost 19-20 pounds.

My first month post-op I lost 10.4 pounds. I felt like a champ! And my surgeon did nothing but praise me. :) I wish yours had done the same. :(

In fact, I averaged 10-11 pounds lost / month the first 4 months post-op.

Then Months 5-6 I averaged 8 pounds lost/month. Months 7-8 I averaged 5-6 pounds lost/month.

Somewhere during Month 8 I hit my initial weight goal.

Over the next 8 months I lost another 15 pounds.

That totals up to 100 pounds total lost pre- and post-op. I've been maintaining at 135 pounds for nearly a year now.

It does NOT matter how fast you lose -- but that you continue losing until you're happy with where you windi up. And then that you are successful maintaining your weight loss.

And, of course, that you're eating nutritious foods and leading a lifestyle that helps you remain healthy for the rest of your life. :)

@@Charlie Brown's Momma give yourself a break! 9 pounds in the first week is fine and your surgeon was boneheaded if he said otherwise.

OK, you made a mistake. None of us got here without having issues with food and eating what we shouldn't. Not many of us can put it down once we've started something we really like. Personally my only chance is if I don't take the first bite.

You've learned a good lesson, so get back on track and feel better about yourself. I doubt you did yourself any damage from this incident but I'm sure it was very unpleasant.

You're going to do just great -- you wait and see! Don't let a boneheaded doctor's comment after one week make you feel like a failure. Surgeons in general have a reputation for having a poor bedside manner -- yours may be a good example. Go prove him wrong!

That loss is awesome!!!!

Sent from my KFFOWI using the BariatricPal App

I understand. I am in the preop diet phase, and boy, I feel like there is a mirror in front of me highlighting all my securities/dependencies on food. I have a healthy family, my kids are athletes (adopted, so no genetic predisposition from me for obesity) and my partner has always been athletic and fit. But, our social activities, family gatherings, comfort, support, etc.....do have a food connection. Its hard, the mental stuff. When I am stressed, I want carbs. Its hard to find another way, but it is necessary for my own health and well being. Sounds like you were sabotaging yourself and not even really aware of it. Pull it back, take control. You can do it. Its a lifestyle change, not just a diet. But, I really feel for you and I get it.