Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Spanx for Exercise? Halp!

So I'm getting really annoyed by how much my stomach jiggles during exercise classes. It's embarrassing. It doesn't matter how much my instructor reminds me to "lock in my core," there's just too much loose skin. I have a really good sports bra to lock the girls in, but my stomach is all over the place. My question is, are there actual "spanx" or "compression garments" that are specifically for exercise? Are they moisture wicking so you don't overheat? Do they still allow you to move? Has anyone tried any they really liked? Can you guys recommend store/brands? Or is this a thing that doesn't really exist and I need to get over my jiggly bits?

yes! there are and you will just have to try some brands on to see what you like. I have gone places like Dick's Sporting Goods to try things on in the past, and then you can buy there or shop around once you know the style/brand you like.

I found some on Amazon. I wear compression shorts under my looser shorts and a compression tank over a sports bra and under my top when I run. I think it helps to some extent although I posted a video of the finish of my race on Saturday and I have to say, they were not doing their job! At least not as well as I think they should. :) I think I need to size down again and they will work better.

pam

Foundation garments are expensive. Why not try a one piece tank swimsuit with tummy control to wear under your gym clothes?

Here is an example: http://www.womanwithin.com/clothing/Colorblock-maillot-by-Swim-365.aspx?PfId=493180&DeptId=22354&ProductTypeId=1&ppos=82&Splt=1&StyleNo=0111

I found fairly cheap workout clothes on Amazon and bought one size smaller than I thought I needed. You have to look carefully. I haven't paid more than $20 for any of the items I have purchased. I keep my foundation garments "sweat free" and only use them for when I wear a dress. Exercise sweat is hard to get the smell out completely so I try to keep those two things separate.

This is one I am ordering today. I ordered a L although I mostly wear XL right now because I hope it will offer more compression. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VMD41MW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2Z4MGEPZEWLIG

I'll let you know how it works. I should have it in time to wear for my training run on Saturday.

pam

Old navy, whenever your looking for something price point friendly head to the website...

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them"

Einstein

I get Danskin compression shorts from Walmart. They come right above my belly button, and hold all my jiggle in.

I also always go a size down in that stuff and that helps keep everything in. They stretch out fast anyway from you working out in them.

You also won't roast alive in them.

Depending on what size you are and how much you want to spend, Nike and Athleta are options

Like others said, there are compression/exercise garments you may like (Spanx can go back to hell!)

Buy/Wear them if they FEEL better to you (and they should), but DGAF about what your jelly looks like!

Foundation garments are expensive. Why not try a one piece tank swimsuit with tummy control to wear under your gym clothes?

Here is an example: http://www.womanwithin.com/clothing/Colorblock-maillot-by-Swim-365.aspx?PfId=493180&DeptId=22354&ProductTypeId=1&ppos=82&Splt=1&StyleNo=0111

But it'll be awfully hard to go to the bathroom, lol

But it'll be awfully hard to go to the bathroom, lol

And the material is all wrong - doesn't breath.

Spanx actually makes workout pants. They are high waisted with lots of compression. I also buy high waisted workout pants from Lulumon. They are my favorite now.

Like others have said, most athletic wear lines have compression shorts/capris/pants whichever floats your boat.

My favorites are Under Armour, Skirt Sports and yeah I'm a Lululemon addict these days. SOOOO pricey but I'm at goal and have some I have worn for more than a year and I wear them for 5-10 workouts per week between running and yoga so the quality makes them worth the investment since I will be at this size permanently (see what I did there? Putting it out there for the world so it will come to be!)

Budget friendly brands like Old Navy and Danskin (from Walmart) are decent as well if you are dropping sizes quickly, but don't offer as much compression.

A good middle ground is Champion from Target. More compression and longer lasting than old navy/Walmart but a bit pricer too (maybe $20ish as opposed to $10ish).

Just look for garments that say "compression" or "compression fit". Even places like Ross and Marahalls/TJ Maxx have activewear departments.

So I'm getting really annoyed by how much my stomach jiggles during exercise classes. It's embarrassing. It doesn't matter how much my instructor reminds me to "lock in my core," there's just too much loose skin. I have a really good sports bra to lock the girls in, but my stomach is all over the place. My question is, are there actual "spanx" or "compression garments" that are specifically for exercise? Are they moisture wicking so you don't overheat? Do they still allow you to move? Has anyone tried any they really liked? Can you guys recommend store/brands? Or is this a thing that doesn't really exist and I need to get over my jiggly bits?

Is it the jiggly bits or is it the instructor reminding you to lock in your core that is the source of embarrassment? Have you mentioned to your instructor that his/her reminders are not welcome as you cannot control excess skin? You need to be careful you don't wind up with rashes and irritations from compression garments - they are not designed for folks like us. They are designed for people who are all muscle.

Thank you, everyone! Your suggestions are really helpful! I actually found a Skins compression top in my size for $20 on Ebay. I'm going to try that first.

Is it the jiggly bits or is it the instructor reminding you to lock in your core that is the source of embarrassment? Have you mentioned to your instructor that his/her reminders are not welcome as you cannot control excess skin? You need to be careful you don't wind up with rashes and irritations from compression garments - they are not designed for folks like us. They are designed for people who are all muscle.

He's not pointing me out specifically. He's saying it to everyone. It's just a personal reminder to me that even if I brace my core, I can't stop the jiggle. I will be careful to balance accepting my body the way it is, jiggle and all, with wanting to blend in and look more "normal." It's just personally embarrassing to me to look in the mirror and see my stomach flopping up and down. It kind of makes me want to workout less hard so that it jiggles less. I don't ultimately want that. I'm hoping I can find something to wear that will control it a little bit and make me feel more comfortable and confident with going all out.