Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Often Do You Weigh Yourself?

Concerning long term weight management, daily weighing does help. This is from the study, "Consistent self-monitoring of weight: a key component of successful weight loss maintenance" found on US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health website.

Consistent self-weighing may help individuals maintain their successful weight loss by allowing them to catch weight gains before they escalate and make behavior changes to prevent additional weight gain. While change in self-weighing frequency is a marker for changes in other parameters of weight control, decreasing self-weighing frequency is also independently associated with greater weight gain.

Diet Myth: Daily weigh-ins aren’t helpful for weight loss.

Fact: Many people are told to weigh themselves on a weekly basis or use the fit of their pants to assess progress, perhaps because the number on the scale can have a negative psychological effect. The truth is that the more you weigh yourself, the lower your body weight is likely to be. This daily weighing effect has been studied in randomized trials. Time and time again, daily weigh-ins have shown to positively influence weight loss or lead to lower BMIs.

Diet Myth: Daily weigh-ins aren’t helpful for weight loss.

Fact: Many people are told to weigh themselves on a weekly basis or use the fit of their pants to assess progress, perhaps because the number on the scale can have a negative psychological effect. The truth is that the more you weigh yourself, the lower your body weight is likely to be. This daily weighing effect has been studied in randomized trials. Time and time again, daily weigh-ins have shown to positively influence weight loss or lead to lower BMIs.

Wow you are still pushing this article, huh?

The members here are intelligent people. If people chose to read the attachment they will. No need to plaster it all over the thread.

I guess you won't accept what most members are saying: Do what is best for you. Everyone has a different relationship with the scale. End of story move on.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I don't know how anyone could be overweight when they just need to get on a scale. We all know mental and emotional distress cannot be detrimental in any way. I mean if you have a 3 week stall, you are just as happy as a 10lb loss. Nobody ever has dove head first into a pint of ice cream, crying themselves to sleep thinking no matter what you do, you will always be fat.

I mean, if some articles say it, you must do it.

I guess I should tell everyone on Keto that they can never lose weight eating all that fat. Research has shown low calorie is the only way.

Sent from my SM-G930P using the BariatricPal App

Everyone, this is my last post on this topic. I'm done. I initially tried to be helpful by pointing out that there is research to back up weighing daily. Most of my life, I had always heard to weigh weekly. Reading the research changed my mind on the topic. It is the reason that I began weighing daily more than a year ago. These researchers are on to something. I think they are correct about the benefits.

I am still baffled by the people who get so upset about getting on the scale. I am also mystified by the people who say you have to do what works for you even if it means setting yourself up for failure.

I posted the excerpts for the folks who needed solid evidence. That was obviously a mistake.

I'm one of those people who weigh in every day. This close out from surgery the pounds are just falling off. When I see that number drop by one or two every day or so it is a great motivation to keep going. Once that starts to slow I'll probably change that, but for now it is a great source of joy.

I can find studies to dispute anything from another study.

For example...

Weighing Yourself: Helpful Habit or Unhealthy Obsession?

In a study that monitored the weighing practices of 1,900 young adults, Carly Pacanowski, PhD, RD, and her colleagues found that those who weighed themselves more often experienced higher levels of depression and weight concern (thinking a lot about being thinner and fear of gaining weight) and lower self-esteem and body satisfaction. Interestingly, more frequent weighing did not lead to better weight control.

Weighing isn’t necessarily problematic for everyone. “There is evidence that self-weighing may be an effective strategy for some adults to prevent weight gain,” says Pacanowski. “However, that doesn’t mean that everyone should adopt this behavior.”

Weighing yourself can lead to self-judgment and guilt, which can fuel a cycle of emotional eating. For some it can promote eating disorders and other unhealthy eating behaviors. With 89% of women unhappy with their weight and 39% worried about the number on the scale, millions are stuck in a counterproductive and potentially harmful cycle.

Okay, @@CharlotteKat, this is nuts! I happen to agree with you that weighing daily is the key to successful weight loss and maintenance. Like I said, I've weighed myself every single day for the past two years. I liked reading your links to medical resources that confirm my opinion and I appreciate you sharing them. But that's where it stops. I could tell from your very first post on the subject that this thread was going to blow up. Diplomacy is what's needed here, not bullying. Kindness, not judgement. Sharing information is great, but if you piss off the people you are trying to inform by ramming it down their throats, it's useless. Who's going to listen to advice after just being insulted? Try sharing your lessons learned with a more friendly and supportive attitude and things will go much better.

Just sayin'.......

KristenLe,

I have lost over 183 lbs. in less than a year. Every day, I weigh myself whether I like the number or not. I have a normal BMI of 20.4. I am a lifetime Weight Watchers member who failed miserably. The good folks at Weight Watchers encouraged me to only weigh once a week. What horrible advice!!! Research shows that the crappy advice of once a week or once a month weighing just isn't effective.

I know what it takes to get to the finish line. Getting on the scale daily is how you get here.

If "I" read "your" post and saw the word "I" instead of "you", it would have much more credibility for "me".

I am glad to hear that weighing daily works for you. It doesn't provide valuable information for me.

I see the above post inner surfer girl quoted from Charlotte cat was edited. Originally she was shaming another member for having an obese BMI

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I quoted a response. Not sure what else you guys are referring to.
Her initial post was edited and we just noticed when you quoted it.