Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'd rather not eat

I was sleeved on April 11. Weighed in at 210. Today I'm 169. Very happy with my weight loss! Eating is kind of torture for me. How do you all manage it? I work full time. Between not being able to drink 15 minutes before and 30 minutes after eating I find I'm setting timers to remind myself to drink and to eat. It's really hard to fit in all the Water and all the food. The most I've managed to take in is 600 calories on a day. I feel really full after eating only about 3 oz of food. I've never gotten all my water in.

Aside from eating and needing to burp afterwards (I'm not given to doing a lot of burping) I feel fantastic! Best decision of my life!

My husband told me to stop wearing tents and to go shopping and buy some form fitting clothes. Love that man!

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using the BariatricPal App

That's wonderful you're doing so well weight loss wise!

I don't know why eating would be a torture at almost three months out, so not sure what is happening to you other than you have to really start thinking about how to eat and planning your day out so you can eat enough and hit your food/water goals? Are you having specific issues like pain or difficulty swallowing or something? I was pretty much fine after the first month other than being sensitive to sugar (which was a good thing) and an intolerance for eggs until about 6 months out (just threw them up every time so stopped eating them until about 6 months out and it's good now).

As time goes on, you will need to eat more, and you need to start eating real, whole foods. You need to be making your Protein and Water goals daily, and if you can't do it with the 3X daily meals, then you need to be adding in some snack times and getting in enough calories where your body isn't starving itself.

You're still pretty early out, but at 600 calories daily, you're likely in a nutritional deficit that can't be healthy long term. Please do your best to start eating healthy Snacks (a cheese stick with a handful of almonds, a cup of low carb yogurt, some grapes and baby bel cheese wedges... ) There are tons of ideas on here and other bariatric recipe sites.

Please discuss your difficulties and calorie intake with your doctor because this isn't healthy long term. And you will notice things like hair loss, exhaustion and muscle loss if you don't start eating a bit more and getting your Protein and Water in.

You're only 6 or 7 weeks put, at that point j think I was on about 650 call a day and 80g of food a sitting, so you seem to be where you should be (going by my experience at least). As the above poster said you need to plan around your work as being busy is harder, but other than that I wouldn't worry too much.

Sent from my SM-G900H using the BariatricPal App

@@bunnyh

I was at the same presurgery weight as you. I was sleeved March 16, nearly a month before you. Today I weigh 176. The speed of your weight loss was shocking when I read it, but made a lot more sense when you said you are only getting 600 calories in. I disagree that 600 calories at this stage is ok. 600 calories is starvation. You are starving your body. This is not a healthy rate of weight loss for your size. And since you aren't getting your fluids either, you are not only at risk of malnutrition, but dehydration as well.

I realize that rapid weight loss can make you giddy and suddenly food doesn't matter one bit while watching that scale fly downward. However, I have done starvation diets and know the consequences all too well. Your joy is going to be short lived if you don't start getting more calories in and slowing this down. For one thing, you won't be happy when your hair starts falling out in clumps, that is coming, I'd guarantee it. You are also destroying your metabolism. But more than that, at some point you will go from feeling fantastic to feeling lethargic and drained with 0 energy to the point of being unable to stand up for long. I know, I have been there. I was super sexy in my size 5 juniors mini skirt. But I couldn't get out of bed to show it off. When I did make it out, I only had the energy to sit. It was horrible. Furthermore, the second you do start eating again, you will start gaining rapidly.

While lower numbers on the scale may seem like the most important thing in the world right now, it's not. This is about total health. If you are truly unable to get more calories and fluids in and get to a safer rate of weight loss, please talk to your doctor and nutritionist. This is not a race. Slow and steady is the way to win this game.

@@bunnyh

I was at the same presurgery weight as you. I was sleeved March 16, nearly a month before you. Today I weigh 176. The speed of your weight loss was shocking when I read it, but made a lot more sense when you said you are only getting 600 calories in. I disagree that 600 calories at this stage is ok. 600 calories is starvation. You are starving your body. This is not a healthy rate of weight loss for your size. And since you aren't getting your fluids either, you are not only at risk of malnutrition, but dehydration as well.

I realize that rapid weight loss can make you giddy and suddenly food doesn't matter one bit while watching that scale fly downward. However, I have done starvation diets and know the consequences all too well. Your joy is going to be short lived if you don't start getting more calories in and slowing this down. For one thing, you won't be happy when your hair starts falling out in clumps, that is coming, I'd guarantee it. You are also destroying your metabolism. But more than that, at some point you will go from feeling fantastic to feeling lethargic and drained with 0 energy to the point of being unable to stand up for long. I know, I have been there. I was super sexy in my size 5 juniors mini skirt. But I couldn't get out of bed to show it off. When I did make it out, I only had the energy to sit. It was horrible. Furthermore, the second you do start eating again, you will start gaining rapidly.

While lower numbers on the scale may seem like the most important thing in the world right now, it's not. This is about total health. If you are truly unable to get more calories and fluids in and get to a safer rate of weight loss, please talk to your doctor and nutritionist. This is not a race. Slow and steady is the way to win this game.

Hi Shaydi.Laine,

Thank you! I appreciate all you've said. I'm also going to take your advice very seriously.

I live in Victoria. BC and was sleeved in Mexico.

I lost 10 pounds on the pre-op liquid diet before I went to Mexico.

My surgery went very well, but the trip home was very very long and I wasn't ready for it. When I got home I slept and was pretty out of it for about 3 days.

When I felt alive again I found I had developed Thrush which made eating and drinking difficult.

Since that got cleared up I've been feeling great. I'm full of energy.

I think I should have been more explicit when explaining my circumstances. Eating is torture and that's why I feel as though it's something I wish I could avoid. After I eat the meager portion that I do it I feel tremendous pressure in my chest and pain in my shoulder blades. The only thing that alleviates it is burping...something I've always had difficulty doing. I walk after I eat to aid in this.

Over the past 24 hours I've read that pain in the shoulder blades could be a sign of gallstones. I've booked a Monday morning appointment with my GP.

I am committed to doing my program as prescribed as diligently as possible. I definitely don't want to lose my hair!!!

@@bunnyh

ok yeah, eating should definitely not be torture. Getting full fast is one thing, experiencing the kind of pain you describe is another story entirely. I'm not a fan of surgeries in Mexico given that you can't have followups or a bariatric team to see regularly. I realize it's the only option for some, but it's important to get into some kind of followup program or plan with a doc and nut in your area. My program keeps tabs on us for the first 5 years post surgery. Hopefully your doc will figure out what's going on pretty quickly! Good luck!!

You're only 6 or 7 weeks put, at that point j think I was on about 650 call a day and 80g of food a sitting, so you seem to be where you should be (going by my experience at least). As the above poster said you need to plan around your work as being busy is harder, but other than that I wouldn't worry too much.

Sent from my SM-G900H using the BariatricPal App

Thanks perforce! Positive assurance is very helpful!