Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are Protein Bars even worth it?

I am sitting here kind of ticked off at myself. I just finished 1/2 a Protein Bar, and I realized for the calories I could have had a piece of fish with double the Protein.

I have a real love hate relationship with Protein Bars. They are convenient, but at the end of the day they are just a processed frankenfood. They offer me no real satisfaction beyond the immediate taste, if they taste good. They don't trigger restriction for me, so they are basically just a boring slider food. Not to mention, they are expensive compared to just having meat.

I think they are great for emergencies away from home but I really have to stop eating them when I am in the house and don't feel like cooking.

This is the price I am paying for not stocking my usual Boar's Head.

I think they are worth it but I eat them more for emergencies or travel.

They have a place and purpose, but not all Protein bars are created equal. They do trigger reactions in me (as I found out to my detriment last week), but it's really up to what fits in your life. Is natural food better, yeah definitely, but that's not practical for everyone. If it's a choice between eating a protein bar or something worse you go with what you can.

Definitely have their pros and cons... For me they do trigger restriction and I only eat the ones with 20g of Protein. I use them for the times I am not able to cook a piece of fish or whatever. So they have their uses, but aren't for everyone or every situation.

oh yes, I never have them at home - but then I love to cook and enjoy fixing my own food. I keep the triple chocolate Power Crunch bars on hand for when I need something to go, or for a back up plan in my bag, or when I *need* a chocolate fix. I have one for this afternoon because I am closing the front desk at work and do not know how late I will have to stay at work. hopefully I will get to leave early enough to have a proper dinner, but if not I'm all set with something discreet I can nibble on at the desk.

what's your favorite boars head treat?

I only eat Protein bars that are 20 or more of Protein and 10 calories or less per gram of protein, and less than 5 net carbs.

4 ounces of Swai is 70 calories and 15G of protein.

I had 1/2 a FitElite bar. They are nice high quality bars. They just offer me no satisfaction. 90 calories down the tubes.

I work from home so I don't have much excuse not to cook or eat real food except I just didn't feel like cooking 20 minutes ago.

@@perforce

They might not once you are past 6 months.

They used to trigger restriction for me but they haven't in months.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

Nice you've come to that realization that they aren't satisfying to you. Maybe try doing meal prep? Cooking your Proteins once or twice a week and having them ready to go so you don't have to cook? Keeping Protein bars to emergencies? Maybe even keeping them out of the house?

I try to only have them away from home. Otherwise I think I could snarf down the whole box of salted caramel Power Crunch bars.

It's the crunch. It does me in. Mmmmm. Crunch. When you bite into it, you get the resistance to your teeth, then it gives way with a satisfying crunch, then it kind of melts in your mouth, with just a touch of salty to the smooth caramel... sheee-it, I think I need a smoke now. ;)

@@OutsideMatchInside sorry, I should have been clearer. They cause any physical reaction in me, they just send my cravings crazy and mentally put me in a bad place.

I think Protein bars or Cookies are "worth" it when it comes to protein content, depending on the bar or cookie. They're convenience food and yeah of course fresh is better but we're all human beings with time schedules and cravings. Trying to be holier than the pope never worked out for me in the end.

I had my first bar recently, so at around 6 months post op. I feel no restriction, it is similar to eating a cookie. They contain a lot of artificial sweetener, so afterwards I actually want to eat more.

They live in my work drawer and I only have one if I am racing off to meetings where I know I will end up missing out on lunch if I don't grab something now. I never eat them when I have time to access more food after.

Not only are they not satiating, they are as dangerous as bread for me in terms of triggering overeating.

Seems to be different with everyone. Even after my lapband was removed I felt satiation from eating a Protein cookie. Talk ing about 36g of protein here though. I doubt I could eat more than one (if that) now that I have an Omega Loop.

I like my food fresh, if I did meal prep I would just throw it all out. I don't eat leftovers the whole concept grosses me out. That is an entirely different topic. I can respect people that meal prep, it just doesn't fit my lifestyle.

I usually keep deli ham around for the afternoon.

Going to hit the store and pick up my deli staples.

@@jess9395

I have been looking for the FitElite bars for a couple weeks since I saw them on instagram. I wanted to try it out more than I was really just starving. Since it was my afternoon snack time, I decided why not.

They are okay bars but they are too close to Quest bars imo. Nothing comes close to the taste of Oh Yeah One! bars, those I won't keep in the house at all because they taste too good.

If I never have this bar again, I won't be missing much.

@@summerset I'm not really a sweets person either so that factors in. I will always choose meat over anything else in any given circumstance. I have always been like this. So to me, a cookie is boring compared to a steak.

I really hate that most convenience Protein products are sweet tasting.