Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

people not educating themselves

I'm wondering if some of these outrageous post such as I ate a steak three weeks out are real or are they just attention seekers? You got a forum here for support mixed with people struggling with weight, self esteem, possible lonely and it opens the flood gates for attention seekers... One thing is clear it seems everyone is told to stay away from steak til the stomach has healed significantly.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them"

Einstein

@@Clementine Sky - "google university" that is a great description. It is in the mix of knowing the right questions to ask and the right person to ask. It's not easy. I really do rely on the expertise of many professionals, but by god it is my body and future and I'll be damned if I am going to die because someone was having a bad day. I want to know enough to ask good questions and when my "quack" alarm should be going off.

The NUT was a no-nonsense, again, very thin (which is only appropriate,) woman who looked over my food diaries, chastised me for eating a cookie (warranted,)

Really? Warranted? Chastised because of a single cookie? I sometimes wonder what NUTs expect. Robots or something who always function perfectly?

Umm, I'm not so sure that may not have been warranted. Summerset seemed to take it well, which tells me the NUT did it in the right spirit. There is a place for tough love.

On one hand the skinny one must know about nutrition to stay skinny,

Not necessarily. Maybe he/she is just one of the lucky ones. I know several people like this. They simply don't have to really watch what they eat. Either because they have not that big of an appetite and are satisfied with a relatively modest amount of food or because they have fast metabolisms. Some of them actually appreciate how lucky they are and would never look at fat people when they see them eating a cookie like they just drowned a little kitten or two.

The other ones act like it is the biggest accomplishment of their lives staying skinny while gorging on food. Sometimes I don't know if to think "a***hole" or "poor thing" when it comes to these people.

Summerset seemed to take it well, which tells me the NUT did it in the right spirit. There is a place for tough love.

I think you just confused me with Heather. I would have told that woman a thing or two about scolding me. (I'm an M.D. so I talk to patients myself.)

Disclaimer: I don't know in which way Heather was "chastised". There is criticism in the way of "Hummmm, that wasn't the best choice you could have made but I understand things happen, we're all human and everyone slips from time to time" and there is criticism in the way of "Oh NO, how could you have done such a thing like eating something you're not supposed to?!! You're a disappointment!"

@@Sophie74656,

You’re right in a lot of ways. People should know what they’re getting into. If they don’t know, they should ask their doctor or surgeon or nutritionist. And if they have more questions, they can at least look online a little.

On the other hand, @@OKCPirate is right. Unfortunately, not everyone has the best support team. Imagine if you were to go to the surgeon, schedule your appointment, get pre-op instructions, and get surgery. You might assume you were going to be handed post-op instructions, and then you never get them. You can’t really access your surgeon (some doctors make themselves shockingly unavailable). What do you do?

I think that’s where BariatricPal and other online resources come in. Patients might just expect to be given the information they need (from their doctors) when they need it, and then find out when the time comes that no doctors are there to help.

But yes, there are definitely times when I wish, for their own sake, that people would research a little more before getting surgery!

@@OKCPirate, actually, 82% of stats are made up on the spot. :)

I'm wondering if some of these outrageous post such as I ate a steak three weeks out are real or are they just attention seekers? You got a forum here for support mixed with people struggling with weight, self esteem, possible lonely and it opens the flood gates for attention seekers... One thing is clear it seems everyone is told to stay away from steak til the stomach has healed significantly.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them"

Einstein

Oh no this gal was dead serious. Then the one I really fell off my chair on was the gal that was like a month out and wanted to know if it was ok that she drank a bottle of wine a nite. Um REALLY? It's not ok to drink a damn bottle of wine without having the surgery. For christs sake. But again she got loads of sympathy. UGH!

All that being said, I ignore a lot of the really dumb posts. I think they are mostly trolls, and if they aren't they have more issues than I can ever help them with.

yes ^^^ this.

@veteranwoman... Agreed on the wine... I know my surgeon mention he sometimes have patients who do not follow up.. Boggles the mind to understand the thought process of some people.

Einstein

I feel bad for the people who self paid and were given little or no pre op education and sent home with a diet sheet and worse of all can't get in contact with the surgeon or staff when something goes wrong. That being said there are others who have every opportunity to learn and prepare and didn't. Some of them love to share their misguided and sometimes dangerous opinions with each other.

As Already addressed, Literacy is a huge factor with people who are "medically non compliant" .

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App