Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The great straw debate!

Yeh, right my little marsupial pal. As if you would ever be scared!?! You would relish the idea of that certain moderator getting her mitts on you and giving you a good............................

Now, as for straws. If someone can explain the dynamics of a tube inserted and therefore immersed, into liquid, and that liquid is sucked directly into the gob, where does the air get a chance to sneak in? I'm no scientist but I can't see how all this supposed air enters one's stomach-if you get my drift. So, if any clever person who has a scientific degree out there can take me through the whole process and explain what goes on, I'd love to know. Please back up any statements with sources in the form of PROPER papers please, not just, my aunty's best friend's mother's second cousin once removed read it somewhere.......

Right, must go and make another cuppa. Might drink that with a........no, need to gulp tea!!!!!

Hi jinty up early this morning! Just back from running and had my Water but I did not use a straw !

I blow bubbles before i sip through my straw. Because I'm jiggy like that.

"Bubbles" is a very lucky man. :)

LMAO !!!

Just back from dog walk-don't need a cup or a straw. Raining so hard that I can drink what's dripping off my head!!!!!

Now, as for straws. If someone can explain the dynamics of a tube inserted and therefore immersed, into liquid, and that liquid is sucked directly into the gob, where does the air get a chance to sneak in? I'm no scientist but I can't see how all this supposed air enters one's stomach-if you get my drift. So, if any clever person who has a scientific degree out there can take me through the whole process and explain what goes on, I'd love to know.

I don't know how clever I am, and I certainly have no degrees in the field of science, but I do believe I can help to explain a thing or two...

First off, when a straw is immersed in liquid, it is only filled with said liquid to the same level that the vessel containing it is. As straws typically extend above the vessel - and therefore above the liquid line - that excess amount of straw is filled with air. So if you have a 10 inch straw sitting in 6 inches of liquid, the other 4 inches would contain air. The theory in argument is whether or not that extra air in the straw is an issue when sucked and swallowed. Minds out of the gutter, boys...

The thing is that no matter what you take in your mouth, unless you are completely filling it to capacity, there will always be extra space in there that is filled with air that you will then swallow along with whatever you're consuming. This is true of both food and drink, whether that drink uses a straw or not. Even if you just swallow saliva, you're still taking in air with it. There is simply no way around it.

And as it is impossible to swallow anything without taking air along with it anyway, according to my surgeon and others capable of processing reasonable logic, whether or not a straw is used in entirely inconsequential.

Grasping a cup of coffee here and happy to know such fun folks. :)

And you, Miss @@CHM , have put forth an excellent physics explanation of straw-induced air-ingestion worthy of "The Big Bang" crew. Ausgezeichnet!

I do this all the time. And it makes me giggle. Because I'm childish like that! :D

I blow bubbles in my Vodka with *sparkling* pineapple because I am a rebel like that. ;)

@@Andrea72

@@CHM

Ladies,

At this point I'll no longer be taking part in this conversation...

While I have PLENTY to say, I'm afraid that a certain Forum Moderator with a 'lipstick' related nickname would relish the thought of banishing me for my use of inappropriateness...

So with that in mind, I will bid you both good day and withdraw from the discussion...

As always, prayers going "Manah manah - Do doo be-do-do"

Ridiculous.

If I banned you, who would I make fun of?

You like his "straw"?

Is he sending you STRAW pics????

You keep your nose out of our business. You had your chance! You chose to break up with him over avocado. ;-)

I blow bubbles in my Vodka with *sparkling* pineapple because I am a rebel like that. ;)

Vodka with pineapple? ! My favorite! We should be friends. :D

Ridiculous.

If I banned you, who would I make fun of?

I don't think @@KindaFamiliar had anything anyway. He just wanted to reference a bunch of girls to get some attention.

Grasping a cup of coffee here and happy to know such fun folks. :)

And you, Miss @@CHM , have put forth an excellent physics explanation of straw-induced air-ingestion worthy of "The Big Bang" crew. Ausgezeichnet!

Thank you! Maybe I SHOULD be a scientist... ^_^

While I am sucking, through a straw of course, I breathe through my nose - so I don't lose suction :P

So are suckers dangers too? I like a good Blow pop once in a while :o

@@LipstickLady, this is a legitimate question, please do not banish me to the island of misfit toys -

@@CHM

I don't care WHY you like me...

As long as you don't stop liking me!!!

@@4MRB4PHOTO

"Bubbles" is a chimp... :mellow:

Hey! Leave my chimp alone!

funny-uses-for-construct-a-straw.png