Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 month post-op.. What do you eat?

At 1 month post-op my doctor says I am ready to eat anything. However, I feel I used to eat better last week compared to this week. Both quality and quantity wise. Since yesterday I feel meat doesn't go down well and causes me cramping. So I decided to stop. But I wonder what everyone else is eating 1 month out of mini gastric bypass?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I had RNY gastric bypass, not mini bypass which is a different operation. I found that eating harder foods such as meat was difficult. But softer foods such as chili and Soups which contain meat went down easier. Attached is an article describing my experience and at the end there are several recipes. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf

I had regular gastric bypass as well, so it may be different with the mini - but I think I was probably three months out before I could handle much in the way of meat (other than small pieces in Soup or ground meat or soft meats like tuna)

Hi - I had MGB surgery in Feb. At 1 month out I was still eating really sloppy soft food - chilli, bolognese, soft boiled eggs, Soups etc. My advice is to proceed at your own pace; if something doesn't go down well then just avoid it, and try again in a few weeks. Good luck!

Hi - I had MGB surgery in Feb. At 1 month out I was still eating really sloppy soft food - chilli, bolognese, soft boiled eggs, Soups etc. My advice is to proceed at your own pace; if something doesn't go down well then just avoid it, and try again in a few weeks. Good luck!

So how are you now with the eating?? I feel I'm completely with no appetite in the last 3 days.. I'm hardly eating anything. I could literally eat 1 egg in 3 hours.. I'm feeling really weak and wonder if this is normal and just a phase or not? Protein shakes seem to cause what looks like dumping syndrome for me so I stay away from it.. I think I because allergic to something in the Protein Shakes.. I was doing much better last week compared to this week

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Eating now is good. I still have chilli and bolognese some days - as I like them, but also have small pieces of steak, or tonight I had some roast chicken; but I was 2 months out from surgery before I attempted chicken. I still struggle with fish a bit; whereas I know some people can tolerate that from early on. So we are all different. I have had a couple of "dumping-like" situations - one was from having a glass of cranberry juice; I didn't realise how much sugar was in it.

I guess my advice is not to worry; just get as much Protein as you can. I ate lots of natural Greek low fat yoghurt (worth comparing to see which has the highest Protein level), I ate lots of eggs - a couple a day, and the low fat soft cheese triangles (called Dairylea in UK, and Laughing Cow here in NZ). Strangely enough I also tolerated crispbreads from week 4-5 onwards. They just seemed to crumble to dust in my month with minimal chewing - so I put protein on these (egg mayo; low fat mayo, cottage cheese, Phili soft cheese). Just remember to chew, chew, chew.

Lastly - don't worry about lack of appetite; I had that too. From about 2 months on I learnt to recognise a mild tummy ache as my body telling me i needed to eat.

I hope this helps. Keep in touch