Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are you able to eat soft Protein yet like eggs, fish, yogurt.. Etc.? Are you getting physically sick from eating or has your appetite just disappeared?

I know from my experience I didn't have an appetite at all for the first six months. Sometimes the sight or smell of food would make me nauseous. However, food is fuel for our bodies and I began to look at food in that manner. I logged all my intake on an app called My fitness pal, that helped keep me accountable to my protein and Vitamin levels.

Try to get your protein in and up your calories if possible. I think I was eating about 500-800 calories as day a few months out. It is hard in the beginning because you are essentially learning to eat again. Try a variety of foods, you might be surprised at the things you like. I used to hate eggs pre op but now I love them. Used to love tuna- now it gives me heartburn.

It's like one big experiment- but you just have to keep trying and eventually it all fall into place. Check out some Bariatric recipes/ideas and branch out. One good website is called "The world according to egg face". She has some great ideas.

Hang in there and good luck.

Also, if you could give us some information on why you are having trouble maybe we could help more.

Its not that i dont like food, but theres 3 meals a day and if i cut out the Protein Shake, theres just not enough protein or calories in it. For instance, today i had a half an egg for Breakfast and a whole 5.3oz yogurt for lunch, which was way more than usual. Thats literally maybe 110 calories and 15gs of protein. I cant have some huge dinner..

Trouble? Yes. You are starving yourself. You should be able to easily reach 1000 calories by now, 800 at a minimum. If you really can't force more nutrition, then I strongly urge you to see a doctor. Unless you are extremely overweight, a pound a day is a dangerous rate of weightloss. Please seek medical help!

1000 calories a day? That seems like a lot. Tomorrow is my 8 weeks since surgery. People say snacking is really bad for us, but thats the only way i could imagine having more calories. I was getting 500 a day bc of the shake. With the limited amount i can eat diring 3 meals a day, it is just not possible.
I eat 6-8 times a day. I've been doing this for 2 1/2 years. Its the only way I can keep my calories up. If I only ate 3 times/day I'd be sick and malnourished, too. Snacking on high Protein foods and veggies are perfectly OK. I also wouldn't have been able to meet Protein goals without Protein shakes for at least the first year. If you don't like the ones you have, there are dozens of brands and flavors available and their palatibility is extremely varied.

grazing all day is bad. to have small meals and preplanned Snacks is not bad, it is necessary when you are only able to eat a small amount at a time.

once you are 3-4 months, or at least by 6 months you should be able to eat enough at a meal that you don't need the Snacks all the time. I am working away from the snacks and I am just over 3 months out.

Its very odd to change my thinking around this bc i hot my surgery so i cant eat too much, but now i have to eat more than i feel i am capable of. Lol

Its very odd to change my thinking around this bc i hot my surgery so i cant eat too much, but now i have to eat more than i feel i am capable of. Lol

I know! before surgery I had diabetes, and rarely allowed myself fruit. now I can have some little bits of fruit. before I had to struggle not to eat a lot - now I have to remind myself to eat. but we are all here to help each other make the changes.

I double dog dare you to tell all this to your surgeon.

Because I know what your surgeon will prescribe.

Something to help you address your eating disorder: Anorexia.

Good luck to you.

grazing all day is bad. to have small meals and preplanned Snacks is not bad, it is necessary when you are only able to eat a small amount at a time.

once you are 3-4 months, or at least by 6 months you should be able to eat enough at a meal that you don't need the Snacks all the time. I am working away from the snacks and I am just over 3 months out.

It is completely different from our pre-op life.

Pre-op it was about maximizing volume and minimizing calories.

Post-op, it is about maximizing nutrition and minimizing volume.

I double dog dare you to tell all this to your surgeon.

Because I know what your surgeon will prescribe.

Something to help you address your eating disorder: Anorexia.

Good luck to you.

Lol im not sure a 238 lb woman is gunna be prescribed anything for anorexia! Im mildly flattered in the most sensitive way. I am just trying to figure out how to get more than that amount of calories with 3 meals a day, with the sleeve. I used to eat 1000 calories in a meal..

Not good you need the Protein. Go back to how you were eating the first week out, if you have to sip on a shake for hours then do it. If you can not then you need to see someone. I caught the flu when I was six months out skipped protein and supplements for two weeks and when I went in for my post op labs it affected my values.

At your stage in the game (and through year 1), I was eating/drinking about 700 calories a day max. I didn't hit my Protein goals or my Fluid goal, averaging about 500 calories, 40oz. of Fluid a day, 40ish grams of Protein, but I was on the low side because of my stricture.

I was low, really low, but you are WAY TOO MUCH lower. Where does your surgeon say you should be?

Pls don't LOL, Gsleeve822.... This is serious, you have to know that. Right now by eating 200 calories a day you are living off not just your stored fat, you are burning up your muscle (bc I am guessing that with only 200 calories a day, you don't have a lot of energy to exercise....and exercise helps keep your muscle mass from being used for fuel). You're not burning fat, you're burning up your body's muscular framework.

The other danger here is that you are training your metabolism to work on 200 calories a day.....that's setting you up for a nightmare when it comes to maintenance.

Get back on the Protein shakes, if you can't find one you love, oh well, you need to drink it anyway. Get yourself an empty NyQuil cup or some tiny cup with a 1 tablespoon measuring line on it. Pour ONE tablespoon of Protein shake in there, and drink one tablespoon every 15 minutes. A Premier Protein shake has 11 ounces total, which comes out to 22 tablespoons. If you do this you will take in 30 grams of Protein in 5 and a half hours.....do it all day long and you can get in 2 shakes and 60 grams of protein.

Please get a comprehensive book on weight loss surgery that includes post-op food plans. Read it like your life depends on it.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I saw my Nut at my last Drs appt. I'm a little further out than you but..64 oz liquid, 100 Grams Protein (to help boost hair regrowth) and 600-800 calories. She told me not to eat more than 800 or I would stop losing. If I don't eat enough my metabolism will be screwed up (my words). Find a bariatric support group at a hospital near you. Seek out a bariatric Nut to go over your nutrition requirements. You definitely can't keep doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I don't see anything wrong with using a Protein Shake as a snack to get your needed Protein in and up your calories. I drank a protein shake for months and sometimes still do if for some reason my protein amount is on the low side for the day. If you chose healthy high protein low carb Snacks that should be fine. I am like many people on here. I eat several times a day- call them mini meals, or meals and snacks. I have to eat more than three times a day.

The goal is health so if you have to still drink a protein shake to get some much needed nutrition, in my humble opinion that should be fine.