Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The feast before the famine...

For all the reasons you mentioned above. But as you said we are all different. I decided not to have one because I felt I was lying to myself. For me this surgery was the last resort to be healthy and if I couldn't stick to the healthy eating there was no point doing it. The beautiful crane pic doesn't belong to me, unfortunately. Or at least not yet.:) I m only two weeks post op.

I don't know if I had a few a food funeral per se but I certainly went to New Orleans a couple of weeks before starting my pre-op diet and I did not restrict myself in any way. I gained about 5 pounds and now I've lost 13. So I have more than made up for it on my pre-op diet.

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

I wouldn't use the word funeral, but at my first attempt, I enjoyed a hefty steak and a couple of slices of pizza from my favorite pizza place. That was really all I wanted. Obviously not in one night.

For all the reasons you mentioned above. But as you said we are all different. I decided not to have one because I felt I was lying to myself. For me this surgery was the last resort to be healthy and if I couldn't stick to the healthy eating there was no point doing it. The beautiful crane pic doesn't belong to me, unfortunately. Or at least not yet.:) I m only two weeks post op.

Yes we are all different, but you said you thought the original poster would be shooting herself in the foot in your opinion. I think these boards work better when we own our own experiences and don't project them on others. I try to always do that.

Lying to yourself? How? There are some threads on here about conscious choices to eat off plan not being "cheating" because who are you cheating. Does that make sense? If you fully own the food funerals and make that conscious choice, how is that a lie?

if we could stick to a healthy eating plan long term most of us probably wouldn't chose surgery. It's a last resort for most of us.

Just another way to look at it from someone who has been there and had some success.

You will have that crane pose one day I'm sure. So far I'm only at crow, but I've got it in my sights! post-194772-14643958430337_thumb.jpg

Sleeve date 6/8 and I have been 95% faithful to pre-op diet losing 35lbs. Tonight had some refried Beans, rice and carn itas no tortillas. And the Beans were so salty that it was not that enjoyable. So I get it fantasying all these foods that I think I want. Who the heck eats or wants cotton candy at 49? Yep that is a crave I will have to let slide lol. Guys its just not worth it. As I lay here bloated from sodium now. Ewwww

Sent from my LGLS990 using the BariatricPal App

I had a few food funerals. In the big scheme of things, I have no regrets. I was 100% faithful to my pre op diet, which was only 10 days. I have been following all the dietary suggestions post op to the best of my ability, I track all my foods and meet with me nutritionist. I have committed to the changes necessary to be successful.

I was very mindful of those "funeral" meals, whereas most other meals in the months leading to my surgery I have no memory of. I had pizza one day, Indian food another and a excellent 7 course dinner with friends. I am glad I got all the closure. I mean, I won't be able to eat sweets or foods like that again, maybe ever for many of them, and I am fine with that. I just wish I had creme brûlée one last time.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by NewAngela

I don't have a pre-op right before surgery. I'm trying to eat post-op like before surgery but with 3 months to go I will most likely have days where I enjoy food I won't be able to have for a while post op. pizza is one of them - already thinking of alternatives post-op.

Not me I was one fat ball of nerves. It's weird but in some ways your taste buds change and some of the foods you once loved just don't taste as good

only one who obsessed with having favorite foods one last time?

@@tiers4me

NOOOO!!!!

reading this board, you'll find many others who overate before their WLS

sweets are my weakness!!

10 days before surgery, i kept eating pastries, brownies - Cookies, candy etc :o

mmm mmm good

EEEEEK - i gained 7 lbs!!!

if i had it to do it over (which i don't) i would have skipped the funeral

and only eat carrot sticks, green peppers and Protein bars!! LOL

after all, i was about to begin my new life, not end it!!

good luck with sleeve surgery

speedy recovery

kathy

@@tiers4me,

That’s pretty normal. Just make sure you realize that this last “feast” (or however many “last feasts” you have!) doesn’t come calorie-free. Whatever extras you put in your body now will have to come out – through your WLS diet – later. Is it worth it? It’s up to you.

I've got about 3 weeks before pre-op diet starts...am I the only one who is obsessed with having all the favorite foods one last time?LOL

Okay I know it's not the last time forever - but it's like I'm Kobe Bryant going on the season long farewell tour to every restaurant I love.

Sigh...must get it together.

You are only hurting yourself by doing this.

Trust & believe that you can have all your favorite foods later on.

The difference is that you will have them at a future date when you can really enjoy them........enjoy them because your are rocking a new body and wearing the clothes you've only wished you could wear........and you'll be sitting in the smallest booths, too.

So I did this and I gained so much weight prior to my surgery and guess what I had to loose even more when it came down to my pre op diet . Yes have your favriote food because come on we love food but don't over do it or i feel it's going to be harder in the long run :/

You were required to lose a certain amount during your pre op?
Yes!! For my insurance I had to do 3 months of nutritionist and I gained like 5 pounds after he first meeting and thy told me if I didn't loose what I had gained the insurance wouldn't cover me . Then they usually require some type of pre op diet . I have read some people get to eat some meals but most of them are pure liquid .the amount of weeks differentiate but I got 3 weeks and I had to loose 25 pounds (7 % of my body weight ) before surgery and I only have lost 20 so far

I was told 10 % which means about 25 lbs for me... I'm only 19 down and my surgery date is July 13th. ~ Big sigh~

Girl I actually came here to write the same thing. I am waiting on insurance approval and anticipate a surgery date of mid July and right now I'm like "screw it, I'm eating whatever I want." Been doing this for a week now and I feel so crappy that tomorrow I'm going back to a low carb diet because LC makes me feel better (due to insulin resistance).

Because my insurance doesn't require a diet for 6 months, I had the thought of "I'm going to eat Whataburger and apple pie and cupcakes until the liquid diet starts." Now if I see another junk food I may vomit from disgust.

My body is ready for this surgery and I'm so ready for it that I'm going to start feeding it nutritious and healthy choices before I even have to start my liquid diet.

I'm revising from sleeve to bypass on 7/1 because of severe GERD. I'll admit I'm going off the rails a bit. I have a perfect sleeve (other than the fact it's trying to kill me with acid) that tolerates all food. Do I know how my frankenstomach will behave after surgery? No. So while I stayed on plan 98% of the time during weight loss (and I'm maintaining a 120lb loss to prove it) I am eating foods now that may bother me after surgery. Last night I had ice cream. Did I eat a pint? No, but ice cream is not something that is a part of my every day diet. Did I enjoy it, yes! Am I going to eat it every day until surgery? No. I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't think a "food funeral" means your not ready for surgery, that you're lying to yourself, or that you won't be successful. We all start this process in our own way and I don't believe I'm hurting myself by having ice cream. Maybe I'm speaking in the voice of a 2-year post op but I really think you need to do what you need to do to get to the starting line. However once you're at that line (the pre op diet, whatever that means to you) you need to be fully committed. I wish all of us luck!