Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

DS veterans lend me your history

Hi DSers!

I originally considered GB or maybe even GS as my tool but on advice from a doctor at my bariatric center I am now considering the DS surgery. But guys I gotta know...are their any veteran DSers who have NOT had issues with foul bowel movements and flatulance? From what I have been reading this seems to be much more of an issue with this particular surgery than the others. Thank you to anyone who responds to such a question. I know it is of a personal nature.

I'm being revised from VSG to DS tomorrow and I'll can tell you this, if stinky poop and farts will help get the weight off and KEEP IT OFF, LONG TERM, bring on the smellies cuz I'm looking for the best surgery and screw the rest! LOL! Just make sure your doc is selling you on the TRUE DS and not the Sadi/Loop type DS. They are VERY DIFFERENT SURGERIES. Best of luck to you! :)

I'm being revised from VSG to DS tomorrow and I'll can tell you this, if stinky poop and farts will help get the weight off and KEEP IT OFF, LONG TERM, bring on the smellies cuz I'm looking for the best surgery and screw the rest! LOL! Just make sure your doc is selling you on the TRUE DS and not the Sadi/Loop type DS. They are VERY DIFFERENT SURGERIES. Best of luck to you! :)

By the way, since you seem to know about both, what isthe difference between these two?

Hi Ridgerunner! Unfortunately I don't think you can get around the foul smelling gas or poop on this one. Just given the small distance food has to travel to be broken down/absorbed it's going to come with the territory. The only suggestion I have is purchase some PooPourri (you can find it at Bed Bath and Beyond) and spritz the toilet before you go. Other than that, it's a small price to pay for the big payoff!! I'm down 105lbs and could care less about the stink[emoji4].

The easiest way to find out what DS surgery your surgeon is offering/performing is to simply ask how many Anastomosis you will have?

ONE (1) Anastomosis is the "Loop DS" and TWO (2) anastomosis is the True DS.

Here's some info I pulled from another forum regarding SADI-LOOP:

There is only one cut, no alimentary track/common channel - just a straight bypass of the first half of the small intestine; concerns include food backing up into the bypassed limb; bile reflux; the fact that you have in essence a 250 cm common channel with no alimentary limb - the downstream portion of the intestine after the pylorus is all fully absorbing everything (except of course the Vitamin and mineral absorption that normally occurs in the distal duodenum and jejunum).

IT IS NOT A DS. It has no selective fat malabsorption. It has 250 cm of fat ABSORPTION. Nothing like the "fat is essentially free" diet of a proper DS. And it has ONLY 250 cm of Protein absorption.

This is an EXPERIMENTAL procedure. It is not covered by insurance. It should only - in my opinion - be offered as part of a proper clinical trial, and NOT NOT NOT as a "cheaper, but just/almost as good" surgery offered to self-pays only. I have serious concerns about the ethics of doing that.

Note that there is another so-called "variant" of the DS being offered by a few surgeons, which is even further from a proper DS, and which in my opinion should not even be referred to using the term "DS" - the biliopancreatic diversion with bipartition" - it has a STOMA!

Seems to me SADI is a setup for:

1. Persistent bile reflux into the stomach (one of the joys of DS)

2. Hypoproteinemia (and subsequent third-spacing of fluids (edema))

3. Pooling of food in the proximal small intestine in patients with intestinal motility disorders (and maybe everyone to a degree)

4. Less fat malabsorption compared to DS with common channel less than 250cm (most DSers)

5. Less complex carb malabsorption (more contact time with pancreatic enzymes)

6. Suboptimal weight loss

7. Lesser resolution of diabetes type 2 compared to DS.

The only potential benefits I can see are less risk of fat-soluble Vitamin deficiency and possibly less GI side effects.

And I cannot for the life of me understand the bipartition. Does the stoma act as a large sinkhole (dumping syndrome?)? Does the pressure of stomach peristalsis preferentially cause food to exit the stoma versus a competent pylorus? So much for ever taking NSAIDs again due to the risk of marginal ulcers.

It is scary to even begin comparing these surgeries. They will end up giving DS a bad reputation if a distinction is not made due to poor outcomes.

▪▪▪▪

Wow! Lots of info, thanks! You explained the distinctions expertly. I appreciate you taking the time to help someone you don't even know.

Deep respect AllthingsApple.

I guess I'm at an advantage there as I work from home, but the PooPourri will be a help to you at work. You'll also learn those foods that make you gassy and you can avoid those during the work day. I had my surgery in August 2015. I'm down 105lbs from my highest known weight recorded in January 2015 of 295lbs.

I guess I'm at an advantage there as I work from home, but the PooPourri will be a help to you at work. You'll also learn those foods that make you gassy and you can avoid those during the work day. I had my surgery in August 2015. I'm down 105lbs from my highest known weight recorded in January 2015 of 295lbs.

Apple's right. I eat virtually no carbs in public. When I want them and/or junk I eat it in my apt. That cuts down on a gas or pooping issue.

If I do have gas, I keep a small vial of perfume in my rear pant pocket to spray my butt as the smell can linger in the pants. I've also learned how to lean up against walls or squelch on a seat if I feel gas coming.

I like Orange Citrus Magic for the bathroom. i have a carry size and it comes into the bathroom with me in a public place. I have no qualms about 'going' in public as long as I have it.

As for the difference between the DS and SADI. Check the front page of OH today. There's an article about it.

I had BPD/DS 3/19/2001 with Dr. M. Gagner. I feel great everyday & have no issues. I function normally everyday. Eat whatever I want in small portions & take my Vitamins. The only problem I suffer with is Constipation. There is no reason, to worry about minor problems. I've just celebrated 15 years! Good Luck!

That's awesome discodawng! Thank's for your insight. So you never had any of the issues with certain foods that most others have had? Not even in the early stages?

Hi Ridgerunner! Unfortunately I don't think you can get around the foul smelling gas or poop on this one. Just given the small distance food has to travel to be broken down/absorbed it's going to come with the territory. The only suggestion I have is purchase some PooPourri (you can find it at Bed Bath and Beyond) and spritz the toilet before you go. Other than that, it's a small price to pay for the big payoff!! I'm down 105lbs and could care less about the stink.

Or learn to make you own from Pinterest :)

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Hey ridgerunner, you might like this book, written by a woman who had DS. It's not just a weight loss book, she's a "real" writer too, so she writes a LOT about the psychological changes too....pretty fascinating. I'm listening to it as an audiobook, but here's a link up the book:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1580054463/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1465437773&sr=8-1π=SY200_QL40&keywords=stranger+here

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App