Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone's goal weight still leave them "overweight" or "obese"?

I want to look good and be healthy and strong. I'm not going by the BMI chart. I'm ok to be in the overweight category for BMI chart as long as it's muscle weight.

After nothing happening for months I have started losing weight again. I workout several times a week. My golden number is 150 at 5"6' with a large frame. The hard thing is when I talk about losing 40 more pounds everyone acts like I am crazy. I generally don't talk about my surgery. I am just seen as a "health nut." I live in a new town. Some charts say I will be "over weight." I don’t care.

Sent from my SM-G935P using the BariatricPal App

In the past, I lost 160 pounds on weight watchers and regained 100. My lowest weight was 137 lbs at 5 ft 4 inches. When I look at pictures I was fit, but saggy skin. I felt good, but every time I got out of bed, my vision would black out for a brief 1-2 seconds, never blacked out....hit many a wall though. I don't have to be 137 lbs. My goal is between 165-175. I just want to be comfortable. My arthritis is killing me. Actually, one of my biggest fears is that I won't be able to stop losing weight. I never had a true goal with weight watchers either, just wanted to be healthier. And I was....for a while.

You decide your goal. Nobody knows your body like you do.

I set my goal weight from 225-250. Its been 15 years+ since I've been anywhere near that. Once I get there I will have to evaluate how I feel and look and see if I am comfortable in that range, or go down a little more too 200-225.

I’ve seen goal weights all over the place, from a “low-normal” BMI to an “obese” one. I think the initial goal is just a guess: how do you think you’ll look and feel at goal weight, and what do you think is achievable?

The great thing about “goal weight” is that it is not at all set in stone. You can change your goal whenever you want. You might feel that you’re already getting too skinny when you’re not yet at your original goal, or you might hit your initial goal but still feel like you have a few more pounds to lose to look or feel the way you want.

For those of us doing this for health reasons, health can affect goal weight. You might find that you are ready to stop losing weight as soon as you get off some of your medications or your knees stop hurting.

So there’s definitely no right or wrong goal weight, and it can change whenever you change your mind.

I just hit a NORMAL BMI today and I am six pounds away from goal. Surgery was 11/10/15. HW200.2, SW192.5, CW136, GW130.

I was just wondering if anyone else's goal weight still leaves them in the overweight or obese range according to BMI. My goal weight is 172lbs, which would put me at a BMI of about 29.5 (still overweight). When I get there, I might decide to keep going to 155lbs, which would still leave me overweight with a BMI of 27.5. Is anyone else in the same boat? Do you think we should be aiming for "healthy" weights?

Who's goal is that? My surgeon's goal (160-170lbs) left me overweight also. I can honestly say his goal deflated me. My inner dialogue was, "I'm going to do all this sh*t and still be overweight?!". I made own goal based on a healthy BMI, height/weight charts, and healthy body fat percentages. That left me in the 130s.

No one in my health team has ever presented me with a "goal weight" to get to -- they emphasized the lifelong changes in eating and behavior, but were not "And we want you to get to this weight." As a result, I set a weight for myself on this website that seemed, at the time, to be a crazy "OMG, imagine if I only weighed this!" thing -- 180. That would put me at plumpish and curvy -- which I like -- but not too much. Maybe.

I also have mini-goals for myself, and I tend to do cool things when I hit them. So, for example, when I got to 250, I started doing Pilates. My current goal is to weigh less than my sweetie, which is about 215 -- so, I'm *really* close, except he's been losing weight too! When I do that, it will be the first time in our 16 year relationship that I have weighed less than he does. After that, my next goal is to be in One-derland. I had *hoped* to hit that by July 1, but I suspect it will be a bit after. This month I appear to be gaining muscle mass again (Pilates!) and that's slowed my loss.

And, I'm gonna be honest, now that I'm closer to it, 180 seems a little high.So, maybe we'll see what that's like when I'm there. I suspect I will end up closer to 150-160.

I think it hard to say this weight on the same height person will look like this on me... Building up muscle tone can make anyone look more lean...Everyone carries weight differently... My surgeon didn't get to deep into this, he said I could lose a 100lbs which means I would be 130... He said when I reach that I may not be happy with how I look as in I May look too thin... I was just laughing, I said I guess I'll have a chance to use a new word, thin! For me personally my biggest goal is to just get to a stable weight... I can take the weight going up and down anymore... I'm so tired of having every size of clothes in the closet...

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by nyteacher125

I was just wondering if anyone else's goal weight still leaves them in the overweight or obese range according to BMI. My goal weight is 172lbs, which would put me at a BMI of about 29.5 (still overweight). When I get there, I might decide to keep going to 155lbs, which would still leave me overweight with a BMI of 27.5. Is anyone else in the same boat? Do you think we should be aiming for "healthy" weights?

I vote for healthy and not weight. At my age being 126 lbs seems crazy I am 5'3 and nearly 41. I wouldn't mind being 130-150ish dependingbin the look but not the lbs.

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using the BariatricPal App

Should we be concerned with a goal weight? My dr. Hasn't even asked me what my goal was and honestly I never thought to have one in mind. I just know I want to be healthier.

Sent from my SM-G900P using the BariatricPal App

I am there as while. My goal weight is 165 lbs, which leaves me with a bmi of 26.6 and overweight. I do not want to go any smaller than that. I've been that weight before and for my frame any smaller would look ridiculous on me. By the charts my weight should be 140 lbs. Very unrealistic!

Sent from my SM-G935P using the BariatricPal App

I would need to weigh 127 and under to get out of the 'overweight' BMI and into 'normal' range. Such is the life of a shortie. But I just want to be healthy and get my energy back. I weighed 127 briefly in college after some extreme dieting followed by a week long bout of the flu!