Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone's goal weight still leave them "overweight" or "obese"?

yep. my goal weight was 160 which still left me overweight. i am now 150 and heading to 140. i don't reach "normal" BMI until im at 141 apparently. :huh:

@@Babbs, well if it wasn't for vanity I wouldn't have much need for motivation, lol. So, I agree with you there. I think that by the time I hit my goal weight, I will work on trying to sculpt my body. If I lose weight in the process, then I'm cool with that. I had surgery so that my husband and I can try some fertility treatments after 18 months. We've tried for 10 years to have a baby without success. My OB GYN kept stressing the need for me to lose weight. Of course I was not successful with diet and exercise so I opted for surgery. I'm certain that not when I get pregnant there won't be much room for vanity, but I'm definitely excited about enjoying the sexier version of Me throughout this journey. ;)

I just had my initial consultation with my surgeon yesterday. I felt absolutely deflated when she told me I'd realistically reach about 185. My head was thinking 150. She said surgery will reset my body and I'll lose significant weight, but I'll probably not get to 150. Now, as I said I felt deflated because in my head I was visualizing 185 as still being really fat. Well, one of the insurance girls came in and I was visiting with her about my disappointment. She stood up and said, "I'm the same height as you, how much do you think I weigh? Guess, and I'll tell you." I looked at her and thought, man this girl looks wonderful. I guessed she was about 140 lbs. She smiles and says "oh honey, I wish. I'm 190. I'm considered overweight." My mouth dropped. Could not believe that that's what 'my ideal weight' looks like (in general). It shows just how distorted my mind has gotten when it comes to weight. If I look even close to that good, I'll be thrilled!!! It was very encouraging and inspiring. I don't care if I'll still be considered overweight. I'll be healthy!!! And over the moon happy!!! I rarely post, but felt like adding my experience. ;-) Bless you all.

@@Luckygrl well your surgeon is wrong too. i was told most people don't reach their goal weight. that last 20lbs rarely comes off. bs. i reached my original goal and now i'm on my way to 140. it's all within your reach. don't listen to anyone cuz everyone's journey (and body) is different. best of luck to you!

@@Luckygrl I think the surgeon's always are conservative in the amount they say we can lose. They're going by published statistics based on the average amount lost by procedure (sleeve). I believe the standard is 60% of excess weight. They don't want to give you unrealistic goals. My surgeon was careful to say what the average weight loss is but that many lose more than that if they follow their plan.

I am 5'9" and a healthily Bmi is between 125-170! I would like to see 150-160 we shall see...

I just had my initial consultation with my surgeon yesterday. I felt absolutely deflated when she told me I'd realistically reach about 185. My head was thinking 150. She said surgery will reset my body and I'll lose significant weight, but I'll probably not get to 150. Now, as I said I felt deflated because in my head I was visualizing 185 as still being really fat. Well, one of the insurance girls came in and I was visiting with her about my disappointment. She stood up and said, "I'm the same height as you, how much do you think I weigh? Guess, and I'll tell you." I looked at her and thought, man this girl looks wonderful. I guessed she was about 140 lbs. She smiles and says "oh honey, I wish. I'm 190. I'm considered overweight." My mouth dropped. Could not believe that that's what 'my ideal weight' looks like (in general). It shows just how distorted my mind has gotten when it comes to weight. If I look even close to that good, I'll be thrilled!!! It was very encouraging and inspiring. I don't care if I'll still be considered overweight. I'll be healthy!!! And over the moon happy!!! I rarely post, but felt like adding my experience. ;-) Bless you all.

You need this. http://www.mybodygallery.com

You need this. http://www.mybodygallery.com
Wow!! That's really a neat website! After looking at that, I really want to push for 150ish. I don't want to be skinny. Just healthy and energetic. Oh, and shop for cute clothes. That'll be bonus fun.

My goal is to get to the top end of overweight, then try to get to the bottom maybe.

I posted on this as well. Ideally the goal weight would put it between 18.5-24.9 BMI, the normal weight range, but most people here have their goal weight still above 25, in the overweight range.

I just happened to stall right at hitting 25 BMI, which is annoying. I so can't wait to finally be in the normal weight BMI range.

I'm 5'8" and am aiming for 145lbs which puts me in the "normal" bmi range but would be happy at 155-160 as well which is within the same range.

I'll never be a 'normal' guy..

I'd look weird...

I mean weirder than I look now as a fatty...

I'd have this gigantic, bulbous head on a skinny dudes body...

Aint nobody got time for that...

So as far as the (ridiculous) BMI goes, I'll always be obese...

And I'm ok with that...

Coz I'll be all hot and sh*t..

I've mentioned this in another thread or two, but my original goal weight was 155 - right at the upper end of a normal BMI. My surgeon stated that she'd rather see me in the 170's on account of my body type, which is well into the overweight catergory. The GP I saw in my late teens also told me that I shouldn't be below 170 for the same reason, but at the time I was young and stupid and just wanted to be a size 2.

I am no longer young and stupid and wanting to be a size 2. If two different doctors of two different specialties in two different countries agree that below 170 is not right for me, then that's just fine.

Overweight or not.

I think it's fine and realistic to set your weight goal at a number that's still considered "overweight." I think depending on body type and muscle mass the BMI can indeed be misleading.

BUT... Be careful some of the comments on here feel borderline skinny shaming to someone in my boat.

I didn't set a goal weight but in the back of my head I thought I would be completely content at 165 (a weight I had been at several points in my adult life) and thrilled to get to 155 (which I had achieved once as an adult). I always thought of myself as a curvy and "strong" body type--large frame and all.

Lo and behold my body had different ideas! I blew past both those goals and easily settled at 135. I do have an athletic body type, lots of great yoga muscles, but I am not the large frame, broad person I thought I was! That fingers around the wrist thing? Not accurate! Wrists and fingers lose weight too and my fingers which could not wrap all the way around my wrist now overlap.

I'm not skin and bones (though yea you can see my hip bones and my ribs if I turn a certain way) but I am athletic and fit. I have 17% body fat and now that I've had skin removal surgery I almost have a six pack (my teen son calls it a four pack).

All I am saying is really you might be surprised. It's all well and good to have an idea of a goal. But don't assume you will be "skin and bones" below a certain weight. Don't guess what your body will do, look like or feel like until you get there.

Oh and I'm curvy too! Even before my implants when I rolled my "rock filled sock" boobs up into a bra I was a 32DD/DDD. Same size now but much perkier (less skin more under the skin!)

For comparison I am 5'6" (I lost almost a full inch of padding from the bottoms of my feet if you can believe it! I was close to 5'7" before).