Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not losing anymore weight and still get hungry :(

I got sleeved on April 22nd so I'm almost 5 weeks in. I still get hungry (especially after 7pm shortly after dinner) and crave carbs which I only indulged in twice. My start weight before the surgery was 267 and now I am 243, but have been stuck on that weight for almost 2 weeks now. Am I doing something wrong? I feel I am eating everything I'm suppose to and the only time I had trouble consuming all my fluids was for the first 2-3 weeks. I walk everyday and even started going to LA Fitness just a few days ago and I'm still the same weight. What should I do?

Keep following your program. It's perfectly normal to stall for a couple of weeks starting at 3 weeks out.

Don't give in to head hunger. Eating carbs will only make it harder -- they just make you crave more carbs. If you get hungry, eat more Protein. If you aren't hungry enough to eat some chicken breast, you really aren't hungry.

Stay off the scale for a couple of weeks and I bet the next time you get on you will find your stall broken. And I'm not kidding when I say it is normal -- use the search function here or even just do a general google search for something like "vsg 3 week stall" or "week three stall" or something like that. I'm not sure there is anything more universally experienced after weight loss surgery!

If you stopped losing at 3 weeks post-op, you are still experiencing the "Dreaded Week 3 Stall", which can last a few days to a few weeks. It doesn't mean you are doing anything wrong. It is just your body taking some time to heal and adapt.

KristenLe I am consuming about 50-65 grams of Protein a day which is what I was advised to take. Thank you for the responses! This "3 week stall" is frustrating. I get very impatient lol

I was sleeved a few days before u. On week four I had a stall. Lasted about 8 days. But I just said I wasn't going to weigh myself every day until I saw a difference n a pair of jeans I have. And when I noticed the pants lose I got on a scale n I had lost weight!

Also u should not be negative. When was the last time u lost this much n five weeks?

I'm a day or two ahead of u and I have lost about the same as u so u r on target

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

50-65g does seem low. Protein needs can be calculated by putting your weight into kg x0.8. That would mean 243lbs=110kg, 110 x 0.8 = 88. You would be needing 88g of Protein.< /p>

I know doctors and programs differ, but I would consider upping protein and see if it helps.How many carbs do you get in? I was advised to keep them under 50g a day while losing.

Edited by perforce

I was told to get up to 100 grams of Protein as quickly as I could post-op. Didn't get there until I was on soft foods, but managed to keep it up from then on.

Thanks everyone for all the responses! I was eating that much of Protein because from my understanding that was the amount I was suppose to consume. I uped my protein intake and today marks 2 months since my surgery and I lost a total of 34 pounds. I did hit a stall but it passed after a few weeks. Ill continue what I have been doing for the past couple of weeks which seems to be working :)

Glad to hear things are moving again. I don't know why some programs don't put as much emphasis on Protein when it so clearly works. Most of the people who are successful with the sleeve long term seem to at least be in the 80-100 grams per day range.

You are fine. Just keep following the progam and it will turn around. I promise.