Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Very concerned about what I'm hearing and reading

I'm in the process of scheduling my first fill. Call me dumb as dirt, but I was told I would only need 2-3 fills the first year and not as many the second year. Which is why I'm surprised, shocked, stunned, to hear people talking about having fills every two weeks! Jeez! How do you guys afford it??? In order to get the Fluoro for the first fill, I have to go out of state, which means taking off work. There is a center opening in 6-8 weeks not far from me without Fluoro so that is good news.

I don't really want to hear a doctor say, "Oh, I'm just going to give you .05 cc and you can come back in ten days, and then we'll do it again in ten days, and then you can take a 2nd mortgage out on your house and come back ten day later..."

Also, I don't want to sound like a downer -- please forgive me -- I read through the information from "Fill Centers USA" and (I don't know it word-for-word), but it basically said that "I understood very few people reach their goals." I'm like, "Huh?" :faint:

Should I be on the bitch and moan thread?

Char something to remember is every Dr is different as well as every person. My Dr prefers more aggresive fills, and will do .50 ccs with every fill, but my body can not take that. So I have had 8 fills within the last year, but it was because my body needed me to build on the fills. I could have just done the .50 ccs and been miserable.

Some Drs do only fill .10ccs at a time, depends on the Dr. Ask them what they do normally and you will know more.

It can take awhile to find your sweet spot, and I think anyone that has been banded for awhile it takes some time. Good luck!

I can't comment on the fill thing. Every doctor is different. I had several fills and unfills during my first year, and a small unfill after I got to goal, and yet another unfill this year.

What I can comment on, is if you work, there is nothing stopping you from getting to your goal.

And I have had very few fills my first year. I didn't have to pay for them so, yes, every doctor is different.

My fills are shown in my siggy.

I had my first fill last week and still don't feel restriction. I didn't realize that it can take months to get the right adjustment. For me the first fill was free and thereafter $175 each (until they raise the price again). The nurse practitioner does the fills and she's only in my area once a month so I can't get a fill more often. I had lapband because I've always been portion-control challenged so this hasn't been easy for me. Right now I have to be very careful and limit my portion sizes even if I still feel hungry. With no restriction, I'm still capable of overeating.

Char, I understand where your coming from. I made my first fill appointment, went, only to be told its a no go, they couldn't find the port and the flouro guy is so far away, with schedules and such its impossible to make. The cost is a bit of a issue but I figure if I have gone this long maybe I'll be lucky and not need many.

I wonder the same thing, should we start a piss and moan thread for just this subject. I can eat just about anything so I have to be really careful. I am pleased that I've lost 65.5 lbs but I'm afraid without a fill soon I'll start gaining.

Bitch and moan.....me too !!!!!!!!I hear you, this is one thing you don't think about or hear to much about pre surgery. I got guite a few fills and was doing pretty good. Then I got the flu Jan 1 of this year, I threw up until I enflamed my stomach and couldn't keep even my own spit down. I had to have an emergency complete unfill. I then had to rest my stomach for 30 days and then start over a little at a time. It is now 8 months out and I am still not tight enough. It does cost alot of money. But ............ I am thiner than I would have been without the band by far and would not like to be with out my band. I would have continued to gain weight each year. I personally think it is worth the money. Just wish I could get back to the spot I was at in January.

Depends on your band and Depends on your doc!

I have the small band that holds 4 cc's the other 3 ladies that got banded by my doc on the same day all got the bigger band that holds 10cc's (I think) the bigger bands get fills every 2 weeks where my schedule is for every 4 weeks..........that said... my next appointment is on the 27th and I will not be requesting a fill.

I have hollered so loudly about being hungry.. so he has been pretty aggressive with my fills......... 1.5 cc's for my first fill......... .75 for the second and 1 cc for my third............ so dont fret.... you can have as few or as many as YOU FEEL YOU NEED! (note I am very restricted now)

Don't you get any free fills with your surgery? You might have to tell your fill doctor or person that you want aggressive fills. Be prepared to stay on liquids though if you are too tight from an aggressive fill. I have heard that a lot of people lose well with 3-4 fills.

Thanks for all the supportive E-mails! No, my fills were not included in my cost. I'm using Fill Centers USA. I spoke with the woman who was making my appointment, and she was extremely helpful. I feel a lot better. :car::):D