Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Workout regimen-What's yours?

I'm trying to come up with a workout schedule. I go Monday-Saturday and rest on Sunday. I want my main focus to be cardio of course because I'm only 5 weeks out and am in weight loss mode, but I also want to focus on strength training to tone my body. Can you guys share your workout schedules? For example, Sun-rest, Mon-cardio, Tuesday-Arms/core, etc.

Sent from my LGLS990 using the BariatricPal App

I try to swim at least every other day (and sometimes two days in a row).

I generally do 1 hour of laps and then some an work and stretching. Some days I add in Water weights. Sometimes I take a Water aerobics class.

@@tiffanymarie6997

I honestly don't expect anyone to follow my workout. I'm trying to improve sport/build muscle

Here is a website to try. It will help you set up a workout program designed to your goals.

(1) find your plan..Link below

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/find-a-plan.html

(2) Body exercise data base..Link below

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/workoutdatabase.htm

(3) Exercise database with detailed instructions and video

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/

This site also has a phone app if you are interested.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/fitness-apps.html

I'm maintaining..but this is my new workout schedule.

Monday 2 hour day workout. - 1st hour stair climber (increase resistance) - 2nd hour Leg/glute strength training day

(Tuesday rest)

Wednesday 2 hour day workout- 1st hour Treadmill (increase incline and speed, Intervals and sprints)- 2nd hour Core strength training.

(Thursday rest)

Friday - 2 hour day workout . 1st hour Mountain biking or stationary bike in the gym. Increasing resistance and distance. - 2nd hour Back and arm strength training

Weekends are my time.... I can rest and have time with family and friends. I have 2 Saturdays a month to do my long runs. 2 hours to run 13.1 miles.

@@tiffanymarie6997

I honestly don't expect anyone to follow my workout. I'm trying to improve sport/build muscle

Here is a website to try. It will help you set up a workout program designed to your goals.

(1) find your plan..Link below

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/find-a-plan.html

(2) Body exercise data base..Link below

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/workoutdatabase.htm

(3) Exercise database with detailed instructions and video

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/

This site also has a phone app if you are interested.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/fitness-apps.html

I'm maintaining..but this is my new workout schedule.

Monday 2 hour day workout. - 1st hour stair climber (increase resistance) - 2nd hour Leg/glute strength training day

(Tuesday rest)

Wednesday 2 hour day workout- 1st hour Treadmill (increase incline and speed, Intervals and sprints)- 2nd hour Core strength training.

(Thursday rest)

Friday - 2 hour day workout . 1st hour Mountain biking or stationary bike in the gym. Increasing resistance and distance. - 2nd hour Back and arm strength training

Weekends are my time.... I can rest and have time with family and friends. I have 2 Saturdays a month to do my long runs. 2 hours to run 13.1 miles.

Pretty damn sure I'd die if I tried to keep up with you. :D

Excellent plan.....strong effort !

@@jenn1, I'm exhausted just reading your work out lol... Your going to be very toned.

@@tiffanymarie6997, have you checked with your gym to see if you could get a reasonable rate on meeting with a personal trainer for a few sessions... I think it's most important to develop a workout regimen that you can adhere to for the long haul... Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@Dub

@

2 years out and obsessive compulsive about running.From one extreme (couch potato) to another (Over exercising)..trying to get back to a healthy balance. Conversation for another time.....

Question about starting exercise .... Might be silly : Does it get easier with a little weight loss to start or is it always " hard"( satisfying when it gets over but still hard... At least that is the way I feel now) . Was hoping that carrying a little less around with me might benefit my start ( surgery day is June 1 st )

It is easier the less you weigh. But, the sooner you start exercise the better you will feel and the less you will weigh.

Start where you are and as you improve and become more fit, the better you will feel.

Question about starting exercise .... Might be silly : Does it get easier with a little weight loss to start or is it always " hard"( satisfying when it gets over but still hard... At least that is the way I feel now) . Was hoping that carrying a little less around with me might benefit my start ( surgery day is June 1 st )

I have the same interests so far after surgery as I did before surgery (walking, swimming, hiking, gardening, yoga, pilates) but I have a stamina that came even before significant weight came off. So prior to surgery even though I loved to walk, anything over 20 minutes and I had to really push myself. now it is *nothing* most days to walk 3 miles before work and do some other activity from the list later in the day - and I am looking forward to it. I hope that you also find it is easier and more pleasurable to move your body post surgery.

some of these wild people here have me even considering joining a gym, I have done weight lifting in the past, but it was not something I enjoyed as much. currently viewing local gyms with pools and hopefully by the time I can't swim outside anymore (September) I will settle on a place to get started.

I was sleeved on 5/10 and walking is what I'm focused on. 40-50 minutes each day since I came home. After my 30 day check in - I plan to keep walking but incorporate biking, weight training and build to running once I have shed more weight and it's less intense on my knees.

Highly recommend the couch to 5k app!

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

@@jersey0601

It gets easier with your weight loss and time. Trust me..I hated to work out. It was a requirement of surgery. .

Like you said "satisfying when it gets over but still hard" It may be hard work but its worth it. You can take this opportunity of weight loss and a new body where ever you want it to go.

Congrats on June 1st!

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS on getting your sleeve and deciding to make the choice to be proactive with your weight loss journey!!!

The first year was cardio intensive for me as well, but I wish I had started with the weight training sooner. Your body has to work harder to maintain muscle. So, the more muscle you have, the harder your body works--the better your metabolism, the more calories you burn :D . If you are committed to exercising 6 days a week, then I recommend that you focus on your strength training first, followed by your cardio (since cardio exhausts your muscles of oxygen). I also recommend that you go heavy with your strength training. Heavy for you will mean whatever exercises you do, you should meet failure with the 10th or 12th rep. Women are not like men. It is very hard to bulk up or acquire mass, but going heavy will definitely give you that toned look you desire.

A basic 6 day program can look like this:

Day 1: Upper Body, followed by cardio activity (30 minute minimum)

Day 2: Lower Body, followed by cardio activity (30 minute minimum)

Day 3: Abdominal Strength Training, followed by Cardio Intensive Activity with Resistance* (aim for 45-60 minutes)

Day 4: Upper Body, followed by cardio activity (30 minute minimum)

Day 5: Lower Body, followed by cardio activity (30 minute minimum)

Day 6: Abdominal Strength Training, followed by Cardio Intensive Activity with Resistance (aim for 45-60 minutes)

*If you are at a gym you can add resistance on an elliptical or bike, or you can incline the treadmill to add resistance.

As you progress, you can break down each day to specific body parts. For example, I will work my biceps and triceps on Monday, shoulders on Tuesday, legs on Wednesday, chest on Thursday, back on Friday...and so forth. I am constantly changing up my routine to shock my muscles. However, in the beginning I suggest you choose 5-6 exercises that vary and will work all the muscles in the area you are concentrating on. So, for an upper body day, you could do 3-4 sets (each set should consist of 10-12 reps, failing on your last rep) of bicep curls, triceps kickback, shoulder presses, flat bench flies, and standing or seated rows. There are many resources online to help you find the right exercises for you. All body parts can be targeted with simple dumbbells, machines, or pulley systems.

I hope this helps. Good luck to you!

Here is my current workout plan:

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/361768-by-request-bigviffer-workout-routine/

However I am getting ready to go to a push/pull split just to change things up. In the beginning though walking is paramount for many reasons. It helps keep you regular, helps get rid of gas buildup, and gently works the abdominal muscles. I had surgery during the winter, so I had to go to the local Meijer/Walmart or mall to walk before going back to the gym. Ack!

@@BigViffer I love Meijers! wish we had one here in Tennessee. I don't think I could walk there, too many distractions. :)