Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food getting stuck... for hours!

(I already know.. go slower.. take smaller bites)

Let's face it, we all have done this.. but how do you fix it? I hate this feeling, I think I'd rather throw it up and be done with it. I never have though. It hangs and just sits there. Please help this demon in my chest!

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

Ok, I had no idea food can get stuck also with bypass... I had band and that was happening to me a lot... I just had to walk around, maybe with my arms up, unbutton my bra, spit the slime and wait for it to pass.

I am just revised to bypass so haven't had food yet for it to get stuck but that's definitely not a good feeling. Hope you feel better

I found out that softer foods go down easier. By softer, I mean chili and Soups. I put some recipes at the end of the following article. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf

Yes it happens pretty frequently. It's so hard after 30 years of eating how I've wanted to learning to not eat fast or swallow much at a time.

Yeah I am used to eating that way since I had the band for 9 years. I knew we still have to do that with bypass, I guess I didn't know they also call it stuck with bypass.

food sticking still happens 5 years after RNY. I had to omit meat. Fish and seafood with small bites works. Also, my Doctor gave me a tip that works for me. Lay on your right side it helps the food move better but when in doubt I hate to say it but vomit. If it last longer than on hour vomit and give up whatever you ate. Then try again another time if it happens again I just stopped eating it.

I've wished a few times I could just throw up. I haven't (knock on wood) been sick from anything yet, but I've v found myself wishful that I could just do it and get it over with. I've NEVER been able to make myself do it though. No finger in the throat, nothing.

I am 2 months post op and have this issue all the time. For me there is just this fairly sharp pain right underneath my rib cage (my pouch). Once it starts there is no going back. And it's unpredictable. What is good one day is bad the next. And it can happen with just a few bites of food (happened the other day from like 4 tiny bites of fresh mozzarella).

Doc says I have a minor structure most likely, but wants to just give it some time as he thinks it will most likely work itself out. If not, I'll have a dilation.

For me though, vomiting is easy. When I have this issue I just literally bend over at about a 90 degree angle and up it comes, no retching, just kinda easy (sorry about the TMI). At least it makes me feel instantly better. Then I just try again another day.

Man, wished it was that easy! It is very unpredictable...that's strange! Mine always hurts basically right between my boobs and down just a couple inches. Then it hurts all the way though to my shoulder blades.

I have this too, I'm a few days shy of being 3 weeks so should still be on liquids but I have the odd 'soft food' but I've had this feeling with both liquid and soft food. I think it's trapped air, because for me after a little while the air sort of moves and then the food goes down slightly.

Winding can sometimes help, I often ask my Mum to wind me like a baby with hard pats on the middle of my back. Otherwise walking around helps because it gets the air moving. It's so disheartening though cause I have come to terms with only ever being able to have a few bites of food but always been in pain when you eat is just awful. Some days it makes me just want to not bother eating but of course this isn't the answer.

I found out that softer foods go down easier. By softer, I mean chili and Soups. I put some recipes at the end of the following article. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf

Your article is excellent and the logic you have applied to your journey gives me something to shoot for. Your recipes look great. Thank you for sharing.

Oh it happens with bypass! My one and only episode involved what was thought to be apiece of food eaten hastily and not chewed properly. Enough to keep me pulverizing my food now before swallowing.