Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will I ever be able to have a glass of wine?

Not talking about everyday, but maybe twice a month?

Does your alcohol tolerance change post surgery?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I am 3 years post-op RNY surgery. I have not developed a taste for wine or any alcohol. So it wasn't hard for me to give it up. Once in a while pre-surgery I would have a glass of wine or spirits. I liked the sweet wines (especially the fruity wines), more than the dry wines. From my experience, I would say that after the first year, it is probably O.K. if you have a half a glass of wine once or twice a month.

Im a year post op and I will say just be careful. A glass of wine goes a long way for me and thats coming from someone that used to drink 4 crown and cokes or 6-8 beers with ease. One full glass of wine now makes me buzzed.

Edited by mark1733

@@gina171 HAHAHA Yeah its actually kinda funny. I watch people drink for 45 minutes to an hour then i start my sippin. within 30 minutes Im buzzing and they are too so it works out. My tab is $10 and theirs is $60. Cheap date for sure

Wine becomes about 4 times a potent after surgery. One glass of wine will hit you like you had 4 glasses. Bar tabs are now a bargain!

My doctor advised waiting at least 6 months before having any kind of alcohol. Some advise waiting a full year. One bariatric surgeon has suggested that red wine is your best choice if you are going to drink due to the calories.

Will I ever be able to have a glass of wine?

Not talking about everyday, but maybe twice a month?

Does your alcohol tolerance change post surgery?

Thanks!

This might just be the best question I've heard on this app so far lol

Giving up my dry red wine was one of my biggest concerns when deciding to have RNY....I'm only a bit over two weeks out from surgery so I haven't had a craving yet.....that's saying a lot since I had wine several nights a week pre-surgery.

I'm hoping the craving doesn't come back for about 6 months and then I think I will just be a cheap date from now on. As long as I can have a glass to sip on throughout a gathering I think I can make it.

Who knows, maybe I won't even like wine again

Sent from my SM-G920T using the BariatricPal App

My doctor has us wait 3 months. I too am an avid wine drinker, the drier the better... I love wine tasting parties and the such.

I am a little over 3 weeks out and of course, no cravings for any now.

I will seriously curb any drinking until I get to goal and figure out maintenance... Although I do anticipate having some in between.

I'm a wine drinker and yes, it does hit me a bit harder but I haven't experienced any of the extreme reactions I've read on other boards. Maybe that's because I grew up in the Florida Keys and it's part of my chemistry. ;)

That being said I always make wine spritzers because I'm a fast drinker. I take a wine glass and add plain club soda and a few inches of wine, usually Pinot griot. It drives my father in law crazy to see me do they with the good stuff but I feel it's better than getting knee walking drunk. ;)

I'm all about keepin it classy! Woooohooo!

And as everyone knows... When your chose to drink your calories you can't also expect miracles on the scale. Plan and exercise accordingly. Listen to your team, follow your plan and make adult decisions.

Oh my I just realize I mentioned the dreaded C word. Carbonation (in club soda). I think we beat that horse to death on the "Diet Pop After Surgery" thread, right? :);)

At my first support group meeting, they had a woman who spoke about her experience with wine.

She had an addictive personality, hence the eating, and after drinking 1 glass of wine with dinner, she continued to do so

EVERY NIGHT until she became an alcoholic. When going to AA she found that 13 in her group were former WLS

patients. Coincidence??? I don't know but I'm not getting involved in another addiction after recovering from my food

addiction. I have fought too hard to get to where I am now in Pre Op.

At my first support group meeting, they had a woman who spoke about her experience with wine.

She had an addictive personality, hence the eating, and after drinking 1 glass of wine with dinner, she continued to do so

EVERY NIGHT until she became an alcoholic. When going to AA she found that 13 in her group were former WLS

patients. Coincidence??? I don't know but I'm not getting involved in another addiction after recovering from my food

You have a good point. I'm sure the best thing to do would be to avoid alcohol as long as possible or forever, especially if you have an addictive personality.

I'm hoping that I can indulge in the future at social events but cut out all of my evening glasses of wine at home.

You have a good point. I'm sure the best thing to do would be to avoid alcohol as long as possible or forever, especially if you have an addictive personality.

I'm hoping that I can indulge in the future at social events but cut out all of my evening glasses of wine at home.

I'm with you. My days of "weekday" wine are over. I hope to enjoy a glass here and there when the time comes. Thankfully, it's just not that appealing anymore!

I'd always been in the type to enjoy a few glasses of wine socially about every four weeks or so. I waited several months after surgery before deciding to try wine again. Like many have said, I've found it hits me faster and harder now. It also seems to metabolize faster too. I still only have a glass or two every four or more weeks. If it's your habit to drink infrequently, I'd guess you'd probably be ok? But if you're the type to drink a glass of wine with dinner every night, you may want to be more careful. That seems like enough to potentially derail your weight loss efforts. As with everything, YMMV. Good luck.

I had 2oz of wine for the first time in almost 2 years yesterday and my sleeve 1yr anniversary is tomorrow. Just a couple sips in and that fuzzy headed euphoria started. I’m sure appreciative of how long this small bottle will last. 😂