Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Experienced Sleevers - Tolerances/Intolerances

Some stuff I don't eat because the tummy responses are magnified with the sleeve. The biggest of these is deep fried food. Instead of greasy food causing a little indigestion, it makes me feel *really* crappy now. So, Maybe a bite, but mo more than that. I don't eat rice/pasta even in little bits because it feels like it just swells and swells in my stomach and I go from "I'm full" to "OMG I FEEL LIKE I AM GOING TO POP" a bit after having it.

To be clear, these are not things I'm craving or eat much of -- I pretty much don't have a problem being a "Just the Protein, thanks" person at meals. But for example, last night I was out with friends having Burmese food. I was eating some lamb curry -- chunks of lamb in sauce, very well cooked and easy to chew up -- and someone offered me some of the coconut rice. Everyone was raving about the rice, which smelled like a macaroon. I had a tiny bit -- less than a teaspoon -- but would not risk any more at all, because of my experience with rice swelling up. :-)

I also tend to not eat foods that are fibrous like celery and broccoli, because I visualize the fibers getting tangled up in my little sleeve and it makes me feel queasy. :-)

We actually aren't supposed to eat celery. It can ball up in the stomach and not digest. We can eat small amounts chopped up like in tuna salad but not supposed to eat a celery stalk. I know someone who had to go to the hospital and have this bezoar removed and it was celery.

I am 7 years out. I was lactose intolerant for the first year or so. Sugar will give me really stinky gas however. It's a bad thing around Halloween.

I can eat anything. I eat whatever I want, but I try to eat the right things.

I struggled with dairy. It tasted sour and spoiled for the first several weeks. I am finally able to drink it in moderation, I was never a big milk drinker before, but never had the problem of it having a bad/sour taste. bread still isn't something I can do, I used to love bread, and was worried how I would do, but now it doesn't sound good at all. Artificial sweeteners still can give me headaches and make me feel queasy. For the first 5 weeks post op I could only drink bottled spring Water, I threw everything else up. I was sleeved on 3/7/16, and I can drink regular Water, and dairy. Never give up on something, give it a week and try it again.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

We actually aren't supposed to eat celery. It can ball up in the stomach and not digest. We can eat small amounts chopped up like in tuna salad but not supposed to eat a celery stalk. I know someone who had to go to the hospital and have this bezoar removed and it was celery.

Yup, that's the kind of imagery that keeps me from eating it when people are like, "Oh, you don't eat bread? Well how about having this hummus/peanut butter on celery instead?" Just the mental image of tangled fibers makes me too queasy to seriously consider putting that in my mouth.

The only thing I struggle with is eggs. I was never a big fan of them before surgery, but they make me sick as a dog now, and have since I came out of surgery. They're quite good Protein, so it's a shame, but oh well.

My sister in law is 6 years post op RNY, and for the first 5 years, she couldn't have milk in any form. Threw up every time. The doctors all told her to just try it maybe twice a year and see what happens, because apparently, things that we couldn't tolerate early on, can change...

She can drink milk now. Lol. For the past year, it's been fine! All of the sudden. Interesting, eh?

Hi not to button in but lol lots of good Protein from non animal sources

HEY ITS DEB

The only thing I struggle with is eggs. I was never a big fan of them before surgery, but they make me sick as a dog now, and have since I came out of surgery. They're quite good Protein, so it's a shame, but oh well.

My sister in law is 6 years post op RNY, and for the first 5 years, she couldn't have milk in any form. Threw up every time. The doctors all told her to just try it maybe twice a year and see what happens, because apparently, things that we couldn't tolerate early on, can change...

She can drink milk now. Lol. For the past year, it's been fine! All of the sudden. Interesting, eh?

Hi not to button in but lol lots of good Protein from non animal sources.

If you're avoiding soy sources, there aren't a lot of *dense* non-animal sources. I couldn't eat enough Beans or quinoa or whatever to get 80-100g of protein a day if my life depended upon it. My vegetarian/vegan friends sometimes assert that it's possible to get that kind of protein on their diets, but I certainly can't see doing it given the limit in consumption I have. 1/2 cup of food needs to give me 20-25g protein with less than 200 calories.

11 months out....I can't eat chili. Well...I take that back. I can but I regret it later so it's really not worth it.

11 months out....I can't eat chili. Well...I take that back. I can but I regret it later so it's really not worth it.

Yeah I call this "complicated food." I am not good at eating complicated food: things with lots of ingredients. Chili is a big one of those for me -- even very Protein friendly stuff, even in small amounts. Just does not feel good.

Believe it or not I tolerate every little thing. I wish it was different. From the start nothing has ever bothered me. I was hoping lots of stuff I loved would. But no.

I had no issues from surgery, ended up liking Tomato Soup and tolerating every dang thing :(

Ditto the Iron sleeve; beef does not make me as happy as pre-sleeve days but is okay; used to love pickles but now rarely eat them as they also seem to feel like rocks in my belly. It also may be not chewing enough...I don't chew to an applesauce consistency.

I struggled with dairy. It tasted sour and spoiled for the first several weeks. I am finally able to drink it in moderation, I was never a big milk drinker before, but never had the problem of it having a bad/sour taste. bread still isn't something I can do, I used to love bread, and was worried how I would do, but now it doesn't sound good at all. Artificial sweeteners still can give me headaches and make me feel queasy. For the first 5 weeks post op I could only drink bottled spring Water, I threw everything else up. I was sleeved on 3/7/16, and I can drink regular Water, and dairy. Never give up on something, give it a week and try it again.

Do you mean....no foods at all??? No Protein shakes etc????

Sent from my SM-N915V using the BariatricPal App

@@angelb429, no I can eat just about anything now. But the first few weeks I struggled to keep anything down. My doctor said that my case was rare, everything made me sick, but now I am doing amazing. I'm able to eat just about everything. Some things that I enjoyed before surgery I don't like or crave anymore. Sorry if my previous response was misleading.

Potatoes (instant) seem to want to put me in a coma lol... they make me seriously sleepy..like fighting to keep my eyes open, but I don't usually win the battle. I wonder if they're making my blood sugar rise too high.. that's probably it.

But they seemed like a good idea for the soft food stage!

And beef so far.. I'm still eating puree and soft foods, so I haven't had a lot of it-- but the little bit I have had in really small amounts, has just sat in my stomach like a brick. I have no problems at all with chicken or turkey. Turkey has a lot more Protein anyway, so that's a plus.

I have no interest in my previous loves-- sweets.. I'm hoping that lasts! :)

And so far tuna has not been my friend. The couple times that I had it, I either threw it up, felt like crap and should have thrown it up, or ended up having to spit out "slime" .. I don't know how to describe it. But tuna used to be one of my favorite foods--- and it's very unappetizing now. I hope that changes in the future.

I haven't had any problems with dairy thank goodness- because I still have at least 1 cup of skim per day, in a Protein shake...and greek yogurt (I like the dannon light & fit greek-- I have always hated yogurt..but some of the greek flavors I like, and they have 12g of protein). Cottage cheese and hummus are my friends-- I don't need a celery stick- I just use a spoon lol.

I'm only 3 months out, but no problems here unless I go two days without a Prilosec. I started out swit one daily, now every other day. When I try to go three days, indigestion rears its ugly head. Now the band I had for 10 years was a complete other story...that thing was nothing but trouble.