Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stress-induced Weight Loss

Okay. Some of you who know a little about me, know that I have already been kind of struggling to maintain my weight as I was training for a half marathon (now training for a marathon). Throughout the course of the 14 week half-marathon training program, I managed to keep my weight pretty steady around 160 with only mild fluctuations. I got a FitBit and tracked all my food to make sure I was eating back the extra calories I was burning. But now I have a whole other problem.

My husband and I are going through some serious marital challenges. It has caused me a lot of stress and sleepless nights and I am just not wanting to eat AT ALL. I want to be training for this full marathon in September, but I am eating maybe 1500 calories a day if I REALLY push it? On Saturday, I had Breakfast at like 8:00, then I met my sister in the afternoon. Driving home from meeting my sister at about 4:00 I realized I hadn't eaten since breakfast!

I am way off of my game. Yesterday I was down to 157 pounds, the lowest number I've ever seen on the scale. I don't know how to force myself to eat. It was one thing when it was just a matter of fitting in enough "feedings" to get in my calories with the marathon training. Now it's not only that, but I just feel constantly nauseous from the stress, worry, anxiety, and grief.

I know there are others of you who have gone through rough times post-op. Whether it be relationship issues, job issues, a death in the family, etc. How did you stay on track and stick to your eating schedule through those tough times?

I am so sorry to hear about your stress. At the same time, I am so excited for you about the marathon training.

Does setting an alarm help with reminding you to eat? I would suggest making the healthiest best tasting favorite things for yourself, but I dont' think you want to get back on the reward yourself with food train. Perhaps reward yourself for eating all you are supposed to when you are scheduled to with a run?

My thoughts and prayers go out to you.

HUGS

pam

I'm having a bit of the opposite problem. I'm a touch depressed due to some personal issues, so I've been slacking off on exercise and not tracking appropriately, causing an almost 5 pound gain this last month (although it never affected me much before weight wise). I'm fighting hard to keep my head in the game and stay on track.

I hope you can work out your issues and find your appetite! Maybe just try drinking some shakes as Meal Replacements just to make sure you're getting enough Protein?

@@Babbs Luckily I have the marathon looming in September to keep me on track with my exercise. I know if I fall behind in my training, there is no way for me to catch back up. So I am at least pretty set in my routine there.

I think that now that I'm back at work for the week, it will be a little easier to stay on my normal schedule for eating too. Over the weekend it was a real mess. And I'm worried that my evening routines are going to be pretty thrown off too if my husband and I aren't eating dinner together and we are working on the things we need to work on moving forward.

I will just have to keep tracking everything and really concentrating on keeping on schedule with food. It's tough when you can't just "make up" for not eating all day by having a big meal or something. I was great when I was in a normal routine, but that's all out the window now and there's the whole emotional aspect on top of that. Tough times ahead, I fear.

@@JamieLogical - sorry to hear you are going thru some issues with hubby :/ hope you two are working towards a solution.

@@Babbs - I am in the same boat as you I haven't gained 5, at the moment 3, but I know it is stressed induced from my adult son and pending medical results from CT on Friday for me.

Jamie/Babbs, I seem to do better during the week because I am preoccupied with work but as soon as Friday gets here I am struggling to stay 'in the game'.

I don't know what to do either. I have tried to stay busy but when I cant sleep at night I get up and watch TV. I get a cup of 80cal LF greek yogurt or cheese stick if I am hungry. The urge to plow through a plate of brownies was ridiculous at 1130 last night!

Jeez, I'm sorry to hear this -- about both of you, @@JamieLogical and @@Babbs .

@@JamieLogical -- I have dealt almost constantly with life stresses throughout my weight loss and weight loss maintenance phases -- husband was diagnosed with cancer, I had to have gall bladder surgery, we lost two of our beloved pets, my husband's eldest child died, my husband's father and my mother died within the same week after very long illnesses, and earlier this year my husband's cancer reappeared. It seems the stresses of life are here to stay.

Like you, in times of big-time stress I don't eat. You could look at my graphs of daily and weekly morning weigh-ins over the last few years and SEE that big stuff was going on at certain times. It's all visible right there on the graphs.

Here's the good news: You aren't going to turn anorexic. I promise you. :) Stresses wax and wane. And so do the scales.

Here's some more good news: You aren't going to die if your weight stays in the 150s or (gasp!) even dips into the 140s. But people like you and I simply aren't used to being normal-sized. We've been fat all our lives, and we think we have body types that don't exist naturally in this area of the BMI chart. Well, guess what -- our bodies are able to get to this point. Yes, we will have a little body dysmorphia at first and think we are skin and bones. Then after a few or four or six months we look in the mirror and go, damn, I don't look skinny anymore; I just look normal.

Now, about how to get yourself to eat -- some suggestions:

* Carry Protein bars and fruit with you all the time. You can eat it while you drive.

* Eat Breakfast as soon as you can after you get up.

* Set those time-to-eat alarms (as others suggested).

* Get used to grabbing food on the go and plan what will work for you. Of course, you want to minimize this kind of eating long-term. But this isn't a "normal" time for you.

* If you have to do so, start drinking more of your calories -- more Protein drinks, more Protein / fruit smoothies. Buy or make them ahead of time, so you can just grab one when you need to.

* High protein / high Fiber crackers and full-fat cheeses are great Snacks. You can get 250-300 calories out of each snack. (I know you like to eat many times a day, ideally.)

And @@Babbs ... you know what to do, my friend. You just have to do it. Structure helps. Tracking helps me so much! So much! I don't know what stress has gotten worse, but I am hereby commanding it to "Begone!" POOF! <3

@@VSGAnn2014 Thanks, as always, for your words of wisdom. I will try to keep them in mind over these next few days/weeks.

@@VSGAnn2014

Thanks, sweets! :blush:

I am a depressive by nature, and have been on medication most of my adult life for it until I got sleeved. I thought I may have licked it and could go without being medicated, but it's starting to rear it's ugly head again and getting unmanageable. I'm going to ramp up my exercise and get some more sun and see if that helps. I'll figure it out. I always do.

Sorry for the threadjack, @JamieLogical.

Sorry for the threadjack, @JamieLogical.

No, don't be! This is good! I want to hear about how other people are dealing with stress (or not, as the case may be) a while out from surgery. When real life kicks in, there are a whole new host of issues that we don't really have to deal with as much in the first year or so.

Thanks for sharing the thread.

I also have a difficult time with stress lately

Sometimes I'm a bit dizzy because I have forgotten to eat enough. It just gnaws at my stomach. Literally.

I'm upset a lot and that is not good. I'm trying to have faith but it wears thin after a bit.

Losing my long time husband and my father in the past 2 years, and now my business of 20+ years is changing. A family member is being greedy.... Need I say more?

I cry more than I want to.

My mind replays scenarios.

The only time I'm better is the hour or so I work out.

Then it's back to my grinding stomach. Sorry , don't have a solution.... Except a xanex perhaps

My mind replays scenarios.

The only time I'm better is the hour or so I work out.

This is pretty much my entire existence right now!

Well, I am definitely failing at keeping/getting my calories up. As of this morning, I have lost 6.4 pounds in under two weeks! On Friday, May 6, I was at the top of my bounce range, weighing in at 163. This morning I was down to 156.6. I'm now well under the bottom of my acceptable bounce range. And the stress situation is probably going to get a lot worse before it gets better!

So sorry you're going through this, @@JamieLogical .

The weight loss may be due not only to eating less, but to an increased heart rate (anxiety), adrenaline, lack of sleep (muscles aren't repairing / building overnight), etc.

That's also how my body reacts to acute (not chronic) stress.

So what can you control? food, of course. Hydration is critical (I bet that's slipping, too). sleep, to some extent (with sleep aids, including more natural aids like melatonin). Meditation (to reduce constant mental rumination which raises anxiety). Social isolation doesn't help anything, so find ways to be with other people, even strangers.

Not sure what else to say, except (again) I'm so sorry this is on your plate right now.

@@VSGAnn2014 I am already addressing some of those things. I am actually still doing great with hydration, because I have my Water bottle pretty much glued to my hand 24/7 and that hasn't changed.

sleep was a BIG problem about a week ago, but I have now gotten to where I can at least fall asleep shortly after going to bed. My problem now is that once I wake up, I'm awake. So I am waking up earlier than usual.

My husband and I are going to see a therapist tonight. That's actually CAUSING me some anxiety at the moment, but I am hoping that once we've started, that will no longer be the case.

I have eaten lunch out with friends/family every single day this week. Trying to keep myself distracted/occupied and lean on other people. I also signed up for a MeetUp for coffee tomorrow night. That's something I've never done. coffee with a bunch of strangers! But I am looking forward to it. And I met a new potential running buddy yesterday. We are going to try to get together for a group hill run next Tuesday with a local running club. So definitely trying to be more social and not isolate myself.