Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you tell people you were considering weight loss surgery?

I know this question probably has been asked. How did you tell people, did you tell? I've been very private thus far. I'm not planning on telling my coworkers, I'll probably use vacation time if I am approved for surgery. I haven't even told my boyfriend. He's very encouraging when it comes to me losing weight however, I am nervous to tell him my decision. I just don't want the negatively from anyone! I feel like I'm making the best decision that's going to benefit me.

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

I wasnt going to tell anyone either but i ended up telling my mother. I thought she'd be my biggest support but ended up being just the opposite. Telling me what she'd do and i dont need to have the surgery, just keep going to the gym. So no, i wouldnt tell anyone else.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

On the opposite side.I have told everyone and I'm glad I don't care what people say...I just polity tell them it's my decision and it's my body....if is hard to find some supporters and I did find one person who supports me highly (my sister) she is even thinking of the surgery for herself too. I'm OK with hearing people's opinions but I won't tolerate negativity, it's already hard to deal with our own emotions with the surgery but you do what best for you. Think positive and stay away from the negativity. I wish you the best of luck. I'm scheduled to get my surgery on May 31....good luck to us all

Sent from my 0PM92 using the BariatricPal App

Girl, youre right and i feel the same way thats why i told everyone to. I dont care what people say. If theyre not paying my medical bills or buying my clothes then back the hell up. Im glad you have your sister. Good luck on that 10 day fast.....lol

I told a couple of friends and of course my husband before I had surgery. Afterwards I told anyone who asked me how I was losing the weight. After so many years of seeing others lose weight doing this and that and me failing miserably when I gave it a try I just did not have the heart to pretend I was doing it by exercise and diet alone. If anyone wants to judge me for my decision so be it because I know that if I had not gotten the sleeve I'd be even bigger then I was when I got sleeved. I know I'd still be on blood pressure and cholesterol drugs. I know my health is so much better. I know how much I love buying and wearing smaller sexier clothing. I don't need to prove anything to anyone but me.

On the opposite side.I have told everyone and I'm glad I don't care what people say...I just polity tell them it's my decision and it's my body....if is hard to find some supporters and I did find one person who supports me highly (my sister) she is even thinking of the surgery for herself too. I'm OK with hearing people's opinions but I won't tolerate negativity, it's already hard to deal with our own emotions with the surgery but you do what best for you. Think positive and stay away from the negativity. I wish you the best of luck. I'm scheduled to get my surgery on May 31....good luck to us all

Girl, youre right and i feel the same way thats why i told everyone to. I dont care what people say. If theyre not paying my medical bills or buying my clothes then back the hell up. Im glad you have your sister. Good luck on that 10 day fast.....lol

Thanks I'm glad I told...either way if people talk shit they will do it regardless

@@lunarose Yessss!! :) :) :)

I told everyone I see on a regular basis. My coworkers I sent a message the day before my surgery telling them I was having the sleeve. I would have told them sooner but my clearance didn't come through 'til the day before. I don't really care if people judge my decision so I have no problem being upfront about the procedure.

Sent from my KFTHWI using the BariatricPal App

I know this question probably has been asked. How did you tell people, did you tell? I've been very private thus far. I'm not planning on telling my coworkers, I'll probably use vacation time if I am approved for surgery. I haven't even told my boyfriend. He's very encouraging when it comes to me losing weight however, I am nervous to tell him my decision. I just don't want the negatively from anyone! I feel like I'm making the best decision that's going to benefit me.

I wasnt going to tell anyone either but i ended up telling my mother. I thought she'd be my biggest support but ended up being just the opposite. Telling me what she'd do and i dont need to have the surgery, just keep going to the gym. So no, i wouldnt tell anyone else.

I'm only telling a few and my mother is not one of them at least yet. Hopefully your mom will come around.

I'm only telling a few and my mother is not one of them at least yet. Hopefully your mom will come around.

Shes come around alright, only to tell me which surgery i should have. Shed say i wouldnt have the gastric bypass but idk about the sleeve either. Im use to it by now

I haven't told anyone outside of my husband and kids and I don't plan to. Honestly it's just because I don't want to become THAT PERSON who all anyone ever wants to talk about is the weight loss and the sleeve. I'm way more than that and it would be tough to constantly try and steer conversations away from those two things. I's probably get annoyed. It's tough now with just my husband and I'm still preop, lol.

I told my husband and my dad. Husband was because of obvious reasons, dad was because he's legally blind and I'm his transport to the grocery store weekly. I told him so that once I get approved and a date, he can start stocking up so I can have a few weeks of taking it easy without worrying about how much food he has. I don't plan on telling my mom (she's a huge drama queen) until after I've had everything done. Husband told his mom, so soon the whole family will know soon enough lol. I'm keeping the list of people that I'm directly telling about my intentions very small, but once I'm sleeved if it comes up, well, then it will be discussed.

So far I've only told my husband and he has told my MIL. I do not plan to tell anyone at work. Matter of fact, I don't plan to take 6 weeks of...only a few days of which I will use vacation time for.

As for family, I haven't decided yet if I will tell them or not. My moms side are health nuts. Organic, Gluten Free, low fat etc etc. 2 of them are certified nutritionist and against anything surgical, they are all about healing from the earth. My fathers side is the side with all of the health issues. They are also the ones who teased me about my weight since I was a baby.

I'm open to telling whomever and don't care who knows. From my experience, a lot of people I know that has/had bariatric surgery is ashamed or afraid to tell people. This surgery will improve my health, just like any other surgery will help a medical condition. I don't care who knows I'm on a new path to getting healthy!

Sent from my SM-G920T using the BariatricPal App

I am a very private person. I told my family and one or two very close friends. I had my surgery in January and to date no one in my office knows anything outside of that fact that I had some abdominal surgery. It's just a very personal thing for me and not a subject that I want to talk about.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I still haven't told anyone I'm considering it. Will probably tell my mother and siblings once I'm closer to surgery date.

Except of course- you guys !