Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Those who drink diet pop post-op {Only nice comments PLEASE}

Ok I've been reading this thread for days. Round and round we go.

This is my personal experience with carbonated beverages post sleeve. It is not to be construed as advice one way or another. Just one person's take on this subject.

I drank a few sips of Dr Pepper about a week post op. Only 3 or 4 small sips because the carbonation made me feel like I'd explode. Nothing bad happened.

I drank a little of it here and there, never could manage more than a few small drinks but I certainly had some any time I wanted it. Nothing bad happened.

At 3 years out I will sometimes get a small Coke or whatever at 7-11 if I want one. I can drink the small size but it takes a while due to the carbonation making me feel like a big balloon.

I prefer Slurpees. I can drink a small one in about 30 minutes and it satisfies any urge I have to drink Cokes. I have one or 2 each week ( ok maybe 3 sometimes) and they are delicious.

Again, nothing bad happened. My sleeve works great, it sure as heck hasn't stretched, and I do not have a problem with gaining weight. If I gain a pound or 2 occasionally I just cut out the candy and slurpees for a few days and the pounds fall off.

I eat what I want, drink what I want, and have done so since week 2 post op. I'm healthy, have a fully functioning sleeve, and am doing very well. No stretching of the sleeve, no uncontrollable weight gain, no adverse consequence.

Omg people. Enough! The quoting, requoting is bad enough trying to figure out who said what....

Girl, I've learned to quote the crap out people when they post mean, inflammatory, nonsensical junk. If you don't, they come back and edit it, or remove it all together and then claim they never said it.

Nope. Quote, quote, quote...

:D

On another forum I frequent, this is known as "The Rule." The first person responding to a post simply quotes the original post, so there's a copy of the original post in case the OP decided to go back and change/delete it. Keeps everyone on topic- NOT!!!

Now, I'd like to ask folks to PLEASE punctuate. (OK, flame suit ON) I have the WORST time reading long posts that have no capitalization or punctuation, just streams of thought connected by ellipses; you know, the "..." that some folks use endlessly. It just makes it so difficult to read a post.

Finally, is there a button or toggle anywhere that allows us to choose to go to the end of a thread? I've followed this one through 15 pages by clicking on the page numbers at the bottom of the pages, skipping pages by 3s or 4s. Is there an "end of thread" button anywhere?

Whats wrong.. with constantly... using ellipses... i personally like them.... lol

I use them frequently because it is easier to use them.... than normal punctuation on my phone when i am quickly replying.

Its not a formal document....... do i need to do a spell check and proof read my posts too?.. if so... forget it... i am too busy living my life to worry about some extra full stops in a sentance to please a stranger on a forum... i try my best to use paragraphs and correct my spelling mistakes.. but i am not worrying about it being perfect.. but thats just me

P.S.. just realised this post may come across as rude or mean... the tone i intend is a casual one... no meaness intended ????

Edited by AussieGirl81

No carbonated beverages !!!! It's not a smart decision.

For what reasons?

No carbonated beverages !!!! It's not a smart decision.

WLS Mythology!

So.. LOL I started this topic before surgery about drinking diet pop after surgery.. I thought you guys might like to know my experience after being sleeved!!! :D

I'm 7 weeks out and was cleared to try all foods at my visit with NUT. I was also told that I'm doing much better than most of her patients who have the same surgery (losing more, more healthy choices, more exercise).

But throughout this time I have missed my diet pepsi something fierce.. and it's not simply a caffeine addiction or a pop addiction - until yesterday I hadn't had a sip of pop in 10 weeks and I had no withdrawal symptoms or problems giving it beyond just.. it tastes good.. but nevertheless I've been missing the taste... the same way you'd miss the taste of lemonade or any other drink you like..

So yesterday we went to eat at Cheddars and I took the plunge.. When we were ready to leave and after we'd eaten (and sat and talked for about an hour) I asked for a diet pop to go. They brought me a roughly small medium to go cup. I took slow sips. I did not have any pain or issues whatsoever other than needing to sip it very slow (for the gas to leave my stomach) and doing a lot of burping LOL :) and so there you have it. the OP can indeed drink diet pop (through a straw GASP!) upon occasion without a problem apparently lol.

Never mind.

Edited by leebick