Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Those who drink diet pop post-op {Only nice comments PLEASE}

Based on the 3 pints I drank over the Memorial Day Weekend. I think when it comes to bottled beer, the colder the better!

The information sheet given to patients at the hospital I got surgery at say that diet pop is ok as long as you stir out the bubbles.

(Meh, that's what I loved not only about diet pop, carbonated Water tastes so much better, oh well...)

...and I tried it once after quitting ( before surgery and the bubbles about killed me) and that was before surgery... my 13 yr old son quit drinking it with me still can't because of the bubbles hurting his stomach the other two of my sons( 11 and 16) quit with me for the surgery for a yr and drink it again now and are fine with it... no issues with the bubbles...Just be careful... I was before surgery curled into that ball of pain after taking 3 sips of a soda and that was before surgery.... the thought of drinking it now... I can't fathom... eggs had me curled in a ball after surgery and until about a month or so ago I couldn't eat them. Before surgery I was a smoker... after the smell made me gag.... for about 3 months.... Then A traumatic thing happened and that's what I ran to :( I don't eat more due to smoking and the docs did not seemed all that concerned that I was smoking again.

Wait, whuuuuuttttt?? Another smoker condemning diet soda?

Smoking won't undo the sleeve, pop will.

Undo? What the heck are you talking about? UNDO?

This "debate" was about soda and it's impact on the sleeve. Ok so maybe not UNDO but not help is that better? Jesus Christ go have a cookie the carbs might make you feel less bit**y and defensive.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!! So I question your use of the word UNDO (which is absolutely ludicrous, so my question was valid), YOU call me "bitchy" yet **I** need a cookie?

MMMM'Kaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy.....

SNORT.

;)

:D

>@@LipstickLady

You're definitely in my Top 4..

Top 5 at worst...

:mellow:

No I told you to eat a cookie due to your multiple and constant barrage and cumulative posts to anyone that dares to disagree with you. Sheesh still going strong here lol Too funny

I am aware this is a hot topic..

My surgeon discourages drinking diet pop but I personally enjoy diet pop.. I've never found it a "slider" food for me on any previous diets.

And I know several surgeons DO say it's okay..

I've heard that surgeons say drinking diet pop will stretch your sleeve. I have a feeling this is a scare tactic either because a lot of docs just don't support diet pop and the artificial sweeteners that are in them or are worried about them being "slider foods" so they just say "Oh it'll stretch your sleeve" If it would really stretch your sleeve wouldn't all surgeons be united in agreeing that diet pop is bad?

I'm basically wanting to hear from people whose surgeons DO agree with diet pop so I can get another opinion on the matter. Why have your surgeons said it's okay.. what do they say to the "it'll stretch your stomach" (myth?) What guidelines do your surgeons give about drinking it.

And also how soon after your surgery did you try diet pop for the first time?

NOTE: If you don't agree with my decision to potentially go against what my surgeon suggests please don't lecture me.. I'm well aware and on most things I follow the rules.. but I'm also smart enough to know that if some surgeons allow it there is a reason and I want to find out and have second opinions and I don't feel that's wrong. I've encountered a lot of hostility here toward people who dare to question what their surgeons say so if you don't agree please just ignore this post. THANK YOU.

I have also come on here looking for answers I couldn't or didn't get from my surgeon. And I think it's not the best idea. I rarely drink soda so it's not an issue for me....thank god, I have enough issues. My best advice is if your looking for a second opinion get one from a dr. Good luck. I hope you achieve your goals.

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

I'm cross posting this on this thread and the straw thread. Just for kicks...post-284996-14649767985785_thumb.jpg post-284996-14649768162357_thumb.jpg

Freshman orientation at Iowa. I needed it

...and I tried it once after quitting ( before surgery and the bubbles about killed me) and that was before surgery... my 13 yr old son quit drinking it with me still can't because of the bubbles hurting his stomach the other two of my sons( 11 and 16) quit with me for the surgery for a yr and drink it again now and are fine with it... no issues with the bubbles...Just be careful... I was before surgery curled into that ball of pain after taking 3 sips of a soda and that was before surgery.... the thought of drinking it now... I can't fathom... eggs had me curled in a ball after surgery and until about a month or so ago I couldn't eat them. Before surgery I was a smoker... after the smell made me gag.... for about 3 months.... Then A traumatic thing happened and that's what I ran to :( I don't eat more due to smoking and the docs did not seemed all that concerned that I was smoking again.

Wait, whuuuuuttttt?? Another smoker condemning diet soda?

Smoking won't undo the sleeve, pop will.

Undo? What the heck are you talking about? UNDO?

This "debate" was about soda and it's impact on the sleeve. Ok so maybe not UNDO but not help is that better? Jesus Christ go have a cookie the carbs might make you feel less bit**y and defensive.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!! So I question your use of the word UNDO (which is absolutely ludicrous, so my question was valid), YOU call me "bitchy" yet **I** need a cookie?

MMMM'Kaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy.....

SNORT.

;)

:D

>>@@LipstickLady

You're definitely in my Top 4..

Top 5 at wo

rst...lockquote>

:

mellow:

No I told you to eat a cookie due to your multiple and constant barrage and cumulative posts to anyone that dares to disagree with you. Sheesh still going strong here lol Too funny

Uhh.... My post was May 14. Yours is June 3. Tell me again who the problem is again? ;)

It sounds like two people aren't being themselves and need to share a "Snickers Bar".

:)

Edited by 4MRB4PHOTO

It sounds like two people aren't being themselves and need to share a "Snickers Bar".

Marcia Marcia Marcia!!!

I used to adore Diet Pepsi to the extent that I would make a special trip back to Ralph's when I ran out because the other grocery stores I shop at don't carry it. A nurse at my dermatologist's office told me that diet soda is "liquid Satan" and that everyone, regardless of their weight or health, should avoid it entirely. She was quoting from a popular diet book, but also was advising me to stay away from it because it lowers your pH levels which can contribute to acne breakouts and a duller complexion. That prompted me to gradually wean myself out of my habit. I still drank it at restaurants but never bought it for home. Since having the VSG last August I've had diet sodas five times or thereabouts. The last time was when I was at a BBQ and ate something unexpectedly spicy. A few sips of Diet Pepsi helped to put out the flames.

Whenever I make something into a "forbidden fruit" I tend to crave it more, so I didn't banish diet soda entirely from my life, but I have it very infrequently. I've never experienced any ill effects from it, but I also am only having a few sips rather than a whole bottle. I also didn't have a drop of it until I was a few months post-op and well healed. If it's something that you have difficulty putting the reigns on, it might be better to avoid it entirely.

Well, now that we've all cleared that up and nobody has changed their minds, what are we going to argue about next?

;)

Well, I could start a post about carbs... :P

I'm pretty sure that a Snickers bar WILL undo a sleeve. I know this from my extensive experience with the pouch I've had for 4 months. Because they're, like, basically the same thing.

The peanuts will get caught in the sleeve and remain lodged there until a chemical reaction from the chocolate causes them to swell and separate the staple line. Trust me - I'm a scientist. Or at least I took a few classes in high school. Even showed up a few times a week!

Actually...you know what? F*ck it, give me some of that Snickers. Just make it the Peanut Butter variety. I read somewhere that peanut butter cancels out the chemical reaction of the chocolate. True story!

And for those who are easily triggered, yes, this WAS a joke.

Though I'm told that I'm not good at being funny.

And I'm probably too tired to be funny.

Yeah...I'm going to bed now.

I'm pretty sure that a Snickers bar WILL undo a sleeve. I know this from my extensive experience with the pouch I've had for 4 months. Because they're, like, basically the same thing.

The peanuts will get caught in the sleeve and remain lodged there until a chemical reaction from the chocolate causes them to swell and separate the staple line. Trust me - I'm a scientist. Or at least I took a few classes in high school. Even showed up a few times a week!

Actually...you know what? F*ck it, give me some of that Snickers. Just make it the Peanut Butter variety. I read somewhere that peanut butter cancels out the chemical reaction of the chocolate. True story!

I've heard if you break it in half before you eat it, all the calories and carbs fall out.

You're welcome.

I've heard if you break it in half before you eat it, all the calories and carbs fall out.

You're welcome.

My problem with calories that fall out is that they usually land on my hips or ass.