Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Those who drink diet pop post-op {Only nice comments PLEASE}

There are some interesting takes on this topic as always. I say if diet soda or any food for that matter is like a drug to you or is a gateway to other bad habits then do not indulge.

I mean you have to ask yourself if you can sip and be fine or if you are Jonesing for a long gulp. Can you go several days or weeks without it being on your mind 24/7.

Before I even considered surgery, I was not eating rice, bread, Pasta, potatoes, and tons of other things and people, of course thought I was crazy then, well they still think I am crazy now as I still do not eat these things. But I do drink diet soda, and having one or two sips here and there doesn't really drive me to drink more, or cause me to crave anything else. I am not drinking enough to fill my stomach, so the likelihood of stretching is probably slim.

There are certain instructions which are strictly do and don't do, some of these are because of the nutritionist's and doctors' past experience with other patients. And it is important that we know that this has caused other patients problems in the past.

Please share a few of those "tons of studies" on soda and sleeve stretching - I'd love to read them.!

There are some interesting takes on this topic as always. I say if diet soda or any food for that matter is like a drug to you or is a gateway to other bad habits then do not indulge.

I mean you have to ask yourself if you can sip and be fine or if you are Jonesing for a long gulp. Can you go several days or weeks without it being on your mind 24/7.

Before I even considered surgery, I was not eating rice, bread, Pasta, potatoes, and tons of other things and people, of course thought I was crazy then, well they still think I am crazy now as I still do not eat these things. But I do drink diet soda, and having one or two sips here and there doesn't really drive me to drink more, or cause me to crave anything else. I am not drinking enough to fill my stomach, so the likelihood of stretching is probably slim.

There are certain instructions which are strictly do and don't do, some of these are because of the nutritionist's and doctors' past experience with other patients. And it is important that we know that this has caused other patients problems in the past.

Please share a few of those "tons of studies" on soda and sleeve stretching - I'd love to read them.!

??? maybe this comment was for someone else??? this was not mentioned in my post ;)

Do what fits you. I read that the sleeve can grow on it's own... Nothing to do with stretching because of soda etc.... if you follow all the other advice Protein no carbs... and have a sip of soda or two hear and there I don't think it's gonna be the end of it for anyone..... I do think you outta be careful cos it doesn't work out well for some... I heard it can be painful and make you feel like you want to die for a couple hours...I don't think A bite of cake or a small treat as long as it is rare is going to ruin it either..... you just use caution.... and keep track of what is going in.... whatever you do decide to do... make sure you are sure and ready for the possible pain it could cause..... waiting 4 5 months out is likely the best idea.... give yourself time to heal.... and you might find you don't want it at all afterwards. I no longer crave sweets...I use to crave potatoes... now crave watermelon... go figure....

I'm so glad this thread is still plugging along...

Well here it goes.

I had vertical banding years ago and my Dr. never indicated if soda was good or bad.

In the beginning I could not because of the small pouch, but as I stretched it out soda was fine.

BUT I do think soda did contribute to the stretching and expansion of the pouch, and in turn helped cause the weight gain and other issues I now have.

I am having revision to Bypass and already steer clear of soda all together. I learned from B4.

FYI:

My son recently had the sleeve MLS and even though his Dr did not specifically say no to soda, he cannot handle the gas pain it causes.

How long ago did you have the original bypass

Sent from my SM-G930V using the BariatricPal App

I'm so glad this thread is still plugging along...

Morning my little Antipodean treasure. Thought that you weren't talking to us as you have been VERY quiet for the last couple of days. Thought you might have got the hump because we caught you out being unfaithful in your affections to Ms LipstickLady. Tsk tsk. You bounder sir.

Yep this thread is still toddling along.

@@jintycb

I thought absence would make the heart grow fonder...

I'm not sure whose heart I was thinking of tho...

Unfaithful in my affections?

I don't think AvocadoGirl and I had anything real...

I think she was just after my...

Well, I'd rather not go into it here...

It's kinda personal...

Thanx for missing me tho...

I'm here all weekend...

For I have no life...

Oh my poor wee soul I shall stop chastising you for being such a flibbertygibbet with your affections.

Sending you a big cuddle over the ether.

I'm sure that you really DO have a life my little flower.

I hope that you're not just trying to get a harem of soft hearted women rushing to you.

If that is the case you will get a seriously smacked bottom.

Edited by jintycb

I was addicted to redbull pre op, i used to have 4 everyday on average. My surgeon suggested i completely eliminate any fizzy drinks even sparkling Water after the operation for at least 3 months. All the gas in these drinks will leave you feeling nauseated and bloated, so its best not to put yourself in this situation.

For me personally im eliminating all sodas just to optimize my weight loss progress and to make sure i keep the fat and the sickness that comes with it away for good, i wont go back to where i was even if it means not having soda ever..

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

??? maybe this comment was for someone else??? this was not mentioned in my post ;)

Yes, I must have had a brain fart from drinking too much soda!

Do what fits you. I read that the sleeve can grow on it's own... Nothing to do with stretching because of soda etc....

Oh dear lord!! Make it stop!!!

@@LipstickLady, I need you to know that I seriously come to this post for your comments to make my day. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I heard that after WLS your penis grows.

And if you didn't have one before, and you eat a lot of Protein, one can magically appear!

I read it on the internet.

I heard that after WLS your penis grows.

And if you didn't have one before, and you eat a lot of Protein, one can magically appear!

I read it on the internet.

Wait. WHUUUUT!!?? That TOTALLY explains this third leg I'm sprouting. Dang!!