Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Those who drink diet pop post-op {Only nice comments PLEASE}

@

It'll go nowhere...

One of us is all talk...

I'm just not sure which one...

@

It'll go nowhere...

One of us is all talk...

I'm just not sure which one...

Oh. Well then. I'd best move along, lest I get bored...

I can't believe I wasted a Pellegrino on you two... ;)

8.00 am here in the UK and you lot have just made my Sunday morning. It's a bit like Rhett and Scarlet in Gone With the Wind........bickering but irresponsibly and inexplicably drawn to each other.........oooooooh, how romantic. You two could meet up somewhere (I'm imagining a real American Diner location) and you could sit opposite each other, each drinking coke through a straw and play footsie under the table. I've just got this wonderful picture in my mind..............

This romance could run and run. Wonder if you LipstickLady like men in green Lycra mankinis? Ask KindaFamiliar about THAT comment!

Right, I now need to get back to reality, drink my first cuppa, watch the BBC news on the box, but first I need to rearrange the husband, three dogs and two cats on our bed as I don't have too much leg room.

Edited by jintycb

I wonder what the famous medical weight loss professional "Diet Dr. Pepper" has to say about all this bantering?

I may even consult his expertise when I go grocery shopping later this morning.

I wonder what the famous medical weight loss professional "Diet Dr. Pepper" has to say about all this bantering?

I shall confer with him myself, then we can compare notes. He is currently chilling in my kitchen.

I shall confer with him myself, then we can compare notes. He is currently chilling in my kitchen.

I hope it isn't "Dr. Pepper TEN", because per the manufacturer, you aren't allowed to have it! :)

DrPepperTen.jpg

Who was the marketing genius that came up with this ad?

(At a board meeting)

CEO: "Let's see, our profits are down, what can we do to affect our revenue?"

Over Compensated Marketing Genius: "I know, let's try to alienate 50% of the population from our product"

I can understand a vasectomy clinic coming up with a slogan "Not For Women" or even Tampax coming up with a slogan "Not For Men". I know it was an attempt on their part as humor and I guess a little controversy discussed in the masses is free publicity, but I don't know if they thought this one fully through.

I think the reason you see so much disagreement is twofold:

1. Soda and WLS issues can vary by the type of surgery you have. The sleeve cannot stretch, but the pouch can. Of course, you can stretch a pouch by overeating anything. I don't believe soda expands in your stomach.

2. Some people have addiction issues with soda and tend to drink way too much. I have read about people who drank 12 cans a day before WLS (diet or regular). Resuming this after ANY WLS will cause problems.

In my case, I was never a big soda drinker. I did have a Diet Coke or a Fresca with lunch or dinner and I no longer do that.

I do have some Diet Coke or Seltzer occasionally in my cocktail (vodka seltzer or rum and diet). I use to love both of these and as far as cocktails go, they are very low cal (under 100 calories).

That said, I do notice that they feel funny in my stomach and I may or may not have them much again. Also, I'm talking about 12 ounces over the course of 3 hours.

So, if you have a sleeve and you're talking about very moderate consumption, I'd try it and see.

If you have a pouch or think you'll drink them to excess, I'd steer clear.

Edited by Cape Crooner

I hope it isn't "Dr. Pepper TEN", because per the manufacturer, you aren't allowed to have it! :)

DrPepperTen.jpg

Who was the marketing genius that came up with this ad?

(At a board meeting)

CEO: "Let's see, our profits are down, what can we do to affect our revenue?"

Over Compensated Marketing Genius: "I know, let's try to alienate 50% of the population from our product"

I can understand a vasectomy clinic coming up with a slogan "Not For Women" or even Tampax coming up with a slogan "Not For Men". I know it was an attempt on their part as humor and I guess a little controversy discussed in the masses is free publicity, but I don't know if they thought this one fully through.

Maybe they were going for the banned in Boston approach? or "hey woman never listen to me so this will definitely make them want it!" Either way I have seriously reservations about Dr Pepper's qualifications. I don't think he is board certified and I would not recommend him as a surgeon.

1. Soda and WLS issues can vary by the type of surgery you have. The sleeve cannot stretch, but the pouch can. Of course, you can stretch a pouch by overeating anything. I don't believe soda expands in your stomach.

2. Some people have addiction issues with soda and tend to drink way too much. I have read about people who drank 12 cans a day before WLS (diet or regular). Resuming this after ANY WLS will cause problems.

In my case, I was never a big soda drinker. I did have a Diet Coke or a Fresca with lunch or dinner and I no longer do that.

I do have some Diet Coke or Seltzer occasionally in my cocktail (vodka seltzer or rum and diet). I use to love both of these and as far as cocktails go, they are very low cal (under 100 calories).

That said, I do notice that they feel funny in my stomach and I may or may not have them much again. Also, I'm talking about 12 ounces over the course of 3 hours.

So, if you have a sleeve and you're talking about very moderate consumption, I'd try it and see.

It seems to me that is purely personal choice and also where you are in relation to your goal weight. It seems those that are closer to their goal tend to adopt a more liberal attitude towards the "rules" while those of us that are newly sleeved or still a long ways from our goal are a little more cautious.

It seems to me that is purely personal choice and also where you are in relation to your goal weight. It seems those that are closer to their goal tend to adopt a more liberal attitude towards the "rules" while those of us that are newly sleeved or still a long ways from our goal are a little more cautious.

Unless you're drinking regular soda, I don't think it has anything to do with losing weight and achieving your goal. It's more about that funny feeling you get in your stomach. It's not something you'll likely enjoy.

I have had maybe 4 cans of Seltzer total over the past 4 months and I do think that funny feeling is diminished.

Will it go away altogether one day, who knows?

@@4MRB4PHOTO

It is indeed diet Dr. Pepper. I would never drink Dr. Pepper TEN. I know how to follow orders...

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I am aware this is a hot topic..

My surgeon discourages drinking diet pop but I personally enjoy diet pop.. I've never found it a "slider" food for me on any previous diets.

And I know several surgeons DO say it's okay..

I've heard that surgeons say drinking diet pop will stretch your sleeve. I have a feeling this is a scare tactic either because a lot of docs just don't support diet pop and the artificial sweeteners that are in them or are worried about them being "slider foods" so they just say "Oh it'll stretch your sleeve" If it would really stretch your sleeve wouldn't all surgeons be united in agreeing that diet pop is bad?

I'm basically wanting to hear from people whose surgeons DO agree with diet pop so I can get another opinion on the matter. Why have your surgeons said it's okay.. what do they say to the "it'll stretch your stomach" (myth?) What guidelines do your surgeons give about drinking it.

And also how soon after your surgery did you try diet pop for the first time?

NOTE: If you don't agree with my decision to potentially go against what my surgeon suggests please don't lecture me.. I'm well aware and on most things I follow the rules.. but I'm also smart enough to know that if some surgeons allow it there is a reason and I want to find out and have second opinions and I don't feel that's wrong. I've encountered a lot of hostility here toward people who dare to question what their surgeons say so if you don't agree please just ignore this post. THANK YOU.

Believe me! I get your precipitation on asking advice or opinion on anything here. There's a lot of douchi people on this forum that just seem to be around just to be douchi! If you can't give any positive or encouraging advice then just shut up! That's the best advice you can give to someone who's going through a rough time or just a rough day.

As to your question... I never drank soda pop or carbonating drinks before surgery so I have no advice to give you Good luck and I hope you reach you goal soon!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Oh boy.. Well this thing exploded while I was away So I've tagged some people but really everything is for everyone to comment on if they want..

@@Cari Dickenson - Thank you for caring and warning me. I will definitely be careful. My plan now is to wait until at least 3 months out if not longer. (Sidenote: This thread will probably still be going by that time and I can tack on how it went for me at this rate.)

And Thank you And for understanding how upset I am that I really never had any opportunity to find a surgeon I mesh with.. This is the root of why I'm choosing to do most of my own research, talk to my PCP, ask here, look for studies... and GASP not always do what my "personal" surgeon recommends.. because.. if I had any realistic choice I'd like to have found someone I mesh with better but since I don't.. I'll make due!

I've also been warned that the post op and hospital stay can be kind of traumatic.. Thank you for warning me. I'll probably be here looking for support.. I'm planning on taking my laptop just in case I need to reach out for reassurance.

@@ladyinsouth - a lot of different programs have differing rules about carbonation (like in perrier seltzer Water for instance) and caffeine.. Some suggest to limit them or cut them out and others don't say anything. I was actually suprised to see the caffeine thing because the materials I was given may say diet pop is the devil but they only ask people to limit caffeine to a reasonable level - i.e. two cups of coffee per day - and they can do that right up until surgery and then as soon after as they feel their stomach can tolerate it.. I will look more into the caffeine thing.. it's good to know that might also be an issue I need to consider. I can always choose non-caffeinated diet pop if it becomes a concern :)

@ - THANK YOU. I couldn't have said it myself.. people have a misperception that I put what I did on the thread because I only wanted people to agree with me and that wasn't it.. it was more I know a LOT of what people have said about NOT drinking diet soda and why.. and I just wanted to know some of the other side of the argument from people who do (Dr. consented or not). I really do try to learn and improve and make good decisions.. And I was hoping for a non-debate so that later if people wanted to use this thread as a resource they could find the information within. Now it's hard to do so because it became a big debate. THAT was why I asked for only nice responses..

@@LondonHawk - So far all the studies I've found aren't specific in that matter.. but I do figure that as careful as doctors are today about CYA (covering your ass) there wouldn't be very many who permit their patients to drink diet pop if they were finding that everyone who did failed later on... because again CYA I do know that the Michigan doctor's video mentioned that there wasn't a lot of difference in sleeve size (on endoscopy) from those who had surgery and kept the weight off vs those who had the surgery and didn't.. I think that's fairly telling.. I'm not saying the sleeve doesn't grow at -all- but.. apparently the sizes were negligible difference.

ALL - Remember.. There is a big fundamental difference between a pouch and a sleeve. Pouches are partially made of the fundus (the stretchy part of the stomach and the part that produces the hunger hormone grhellin and are used in bypass.. - pouches therefore can and do stretch far more easily..

Sleeves on the other hand take out the entire "stretchy" part of the stomach, all of the fundus, and most of the ghrellin producing stuff.. this makes them pretty difficult to stretch much at all.. (At least that's how I understand it) .. I also see merits in pointing out that... the amount of gas required to stretch the sleeve would need to be much more than contained in a can of pop... I would think.. that does make sense to me.. Especially since sleeves are not particularly stretchy..

but even more... If you think of it as common sense.. if drinking pop continually had the ability to stretch the stomachs of everyone who drank it (sleeve or no sleeve) then everyone who drank pop would have a gigantic stomach and be overweight.... and that's not true.. there are many extremely fit or thin or average sized people who... drink pop.. whether a lot, a little, or medium amount.. I mean I know not everyone has a sleeve but it does sort of make sense.. gas is expelled from the stomach - if it's there by burping and then the stomach goes back to its usual self.. the mechanics of that - as I understand it at least.. don't change just because you get sleeved..

@ - Preach it please... This is supposed to be a place of support.. We all have things in common... we all want each other to succeed maybe we could try to be kinder to each other.. it's well known what works for one person doesn't always work for another and it's one thing to want another person to succeed so you tell them your opinion (even if they don't want to hear it) and another to try to say your way is the only right way and shove it down everyone's throat.. Let's support each other and be nice to each other.

@@VSGAnn2014 - I think it might deserve to be submitted for an award -.-

@@Alex Brecher - I absolutely know this isn't a diet.. It's a lifestyle change.. and it may well be different than other diets I've been on in the past.. I.. wasn't in particular saying I didn't expect that.. More was looking for information from people who do drink diet pop because I know there are people whose doctors allow that and many many of them have posted in this thread.

@@LondonHawk - I'm afraid I have to respectfully disgaree with what you say about following your own doctor's plan instead of someone else's.. if i hit a stall or need advice it won't be my surgeon I'll go to for advice because he and I don't mesh... which is why I don't feel bad following someone else's doctor's advice.. if I need advice I can come here or if it's really serious I'll go to my PCP who is experienced in bariatric matters.. once my surgery is over and I've completed the necessary requirements I'll be asking everything medical to my PCP and the nutritonist that works with him.. who I mesh with MUCH better (and he for the record didn't have an issue with my drinking pop - he just didn't give me much info on it which was why I asked here.

@@LipstickLady "You're popular when you have as many haters as you do fans." --- I'm pretty sure I'm well on my way with this thread.