Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Those who drink diet pop post-op {Only nice comments PLEASE}

Soda is not acceptable nor is carbonated soft drinks....end of story.I read the thread...in the end it is your body and your choice....good luck.

Any Dr not concerned about you smoking doesn't give a shit about their patients! Why go through with major life altering surgery to improve your health and then smoke?!? Or did you have surgery to be thin and not for the benefit of your health? Because - we all look the same dead (and it's not a good look)!

For a forum that's suppose to be supportive, I'm not sure why we're all being so negative towards each other. Clearly we all have opinions, that excellent! It's not what you say but how you say. Many of you have information to share but the tone you present your information with is important.

Each surgeon has their own suggestions as evidenced by most threads on this board.

What works for some may not work for others. We're all struggling or have struggled with our weight, I'm sure we could find common ground regarding diets we have been on, if we compared notes on the diet we would discover it worked different for each of us. There is no one size fits all, my hope is we can all be successful on our journey.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by nyteacher125

I can only laugh reading some of these comments. Smoking, pizza, cake and anything else is okay (YOU want what YOU want obviously) but diet soda is unhealthy and evil! Come on!!! Diet coke clearly is worse for our health than smoking...how have we not realized that before??!!

Just as long as someone doesn't smoke their cigarettes using a straw, I guess it is ok. ;)

Oh my God! I'm dying laughing here.

I'm nominating this thread for a BP award in the "Ignorance and Moral Outrage" category.

Clearly all the information regarding stretching of the sleeve, effects of diet soda on weight loss etc are observational as far as I can tell. I haven't seen any studies on stretching of the sleeve and what causes it besides the obvious overeating and there don't seem to be any causal studies on the effects of diet soda on stretching.

That being said I don't think a surgeon telling you he believes it will cause stretching or issues or is generally unhealthy and therefore suggesting that you avoid diet soda or carbonation in general makes him a liar, it just means that is his opinion and recommendation. In the absence of evidence physicians often form opinions and care plans based on their personal experience and belief. I would be more concerned if 9 out of 10 surgeons disagreed with that advice but clearly those numbers don't always hold up.

@LondonHawk- they give advise on the "unknown" to cover their arses.

There has been, since the late 90's , something called Evidence Based Decision Making or EBDM. It has become COMMON practice where- in the lack of actual studies, when you see something over and over, you treat based upon what YOUR ( the doctor or practitioner) experience has been when treating patients. If they keep seeing the same reaction, result, etc from many people in the same circumstances, REGARDLESS of the presence or absence of research, they treat accordingly.

With all that said, in the ABSENCE of any definitive data, a practitioner WILL employ the CYA method- Cover Your Arse. Always. Always. Always.

It takes ONE EARLY finding or report to scare someone to FOREVER CYA. Even if it was 30 years ago! Even when evidence has been presented a thousand ways til Monday to dispute it. Because of there was EVER a shred of a hint that a patient may come back and complain or heaven forbid-sue!!!- they will want themselves protected.

And I keep referring to "they" and "them" when in fact, I am one of THEM. I don't practice medicine but instead dentistry. Since 1989. And believe me, I have covered my OWN BUTT many, many times!

@LisaMergs- That is kind of what I was thinking. I have yet to see a scientific study. Even though Beck90 stated in one of her previous post there are studies. Everything appears to observational based on that Dr's personal experience and belief.

I would like to see a study that shows diet soda does not have an effect on your sleeve. I seriously doubt it exists just as no study exists linking diet soda to obesity. The only studies that exist link artificial sweeteners to obesity in lab rats and they draw causal links from that.

If diet soda or any carbonated drink "could" stretch your pouch then using it is a risk regardless of how it works for you.

If Dr's don't know the real answer to an issue then they usually err on the side of caution and advise you based on CYA or their personal experience.

Some of us may recall the days before warning labels on cigarettes and even the days when some Dr's actually said smoking was good for you. Yep they said that cigarette or two was beneficial to your health. Clearly that was not the case!

Personally I am a DES son, a well know prescribed drug in the early stages of pregnancy in the 50's and early 60's and low and behold it was removed for the damage it did to the children one of the most common issues is infertility. Spent most my life being told it was an issue only to find a "study" discover it was only an issue for DES daughters. Unfortunately a few of the other issue did catch me just not that one.

Medical advice changes and alters only when studies are conducted and evidence provided. All the things we are going through now and more than likely in the next 20-30 years someone will develop a drug that does everything the sleeve does now (until of course they do a study figure out the long term issues and pull it from the market LOL).

We can always find validation from some source for what we want to do so rather than worry about that do what is best for you with the awareness that you are responsible for those decisions.

Edited by LondonHawk

I rarely come out here anymore but oh my god. Self righteous people who either just had the surgeries or have yet to have them crack me up. You are hating for eating cake and pizza & that is just uniformed opinions. I'm years past my surgery & as they stated moderation is everything. Y'all act like people who eat cake or pizza for example do so all the time & huge portions of it.. Y'all have heard that there are healthy recipes to make those foods right? Just skimming through the replies here it looks like the person that started the thread did so looking for acceptance to be able to drink pop after surgery and wasn't and God forbid anyone dare show otherwise. Seems like y'all need to get out and walk and get some fresh air rather than spending hours behind the monitor LOL I'm sure I'll come back in another 6 weeks and see the same people going off on how their way is the right way and everyone else who has had success with this liefstyle change is just full of it.

...and I tried it once after quitting ( before surgery and the bubbles about killed me) and that was before surgery... my 13 yr old son quit drinking it with me still can't because of the bubbles hurting his stomach the other two of my sons( 11 and 16) quit with me for the surgery for a yr and drink it again now and are fine with it... no issues with the bubbles...Just be careful... I was before surgery curled into that ball of pain after taking 3 sips of a soda and that was before surgery.... the thought of drinking it now... I can't fathom... eggs had me curled in a ball after surgery and until about a month or so ago I couldn't eat them. Before surgery I was a smoker... after the smell made me gag.... for about 3 months.... Then A traumatic thing happened and that's what I ran to :( I don't eat more due to smoking and the docs did not seemed all that concerned that I was smoking again.

Wait, whuuuuuttttt?? Another smoker condemning diet soda?

Smoking won't undo the sleeve, pop will.

Edited by veteranwoman

@@ladyinsouth

Are you for real? You're preaching to everyone the danger of diet soda and you smoke?

Your argument is invalid.

I'd keep my weight off for 4 years too if I could smoke a cancer stick everytime I felt like eating instead.

Cancer stick? Judgmental much? Smoking won't keep the weight off. Hateful people like you are why I rarely visit these forums. You're clueless.

Wasn't their a weight loss program once called "Stop the Insanity"? Back in the 80's? Please please- everyone enough! Omg[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

http://www.obesitycoverage.com/weight-loss-surgeries/gastric-sleeve/gastric-sleeve-will-my-stomach-stretch It does grow larger as your body naturally changes do look it up call the surgeons.... its not as large as original... but it does naturally grow a bit larger from all the research going from the four ounce size to six to ten is fairly common.... it's been studied. It is out there to be found.

I found that too but might as well not post the studies as it seems people don't want to see these types of truths. That article is wayyyyy too logical. :D Interesting that the article you posted states to not limit sweets but rather the volume. I'm sure that will be argued with as well.

Edited by veteranwoman

@@ladyinsouth

Are you for real? You're preaching to everyone the danger of diet soda and you smoke?

Your argument is invalid.

I'd keep my weight off for 4 years too if I could smoke a cancer stick everytime I felt like eating instead.

Cancer stick? Judgmental much? Smoking won't keep the weight off. Hateful people like you are why I rarely visit these forums. You're clueless.
I'm clueless about what? That there's a correlation between smoking and cancer? Are you going to deny that, or are you just being obtuse?

And the good Dr Weiner did say that people who smoke do keep their weight off better than those who don't. Look it up.

Oh, and I smoked for 25 years and quit to have the surgery. I'm now over 2 years smoke free. I'm not an anti smoking Nazi by any means, but I'm also not a hypocrite.

It's no longer debatable that smoking is bad idea for multiple health reasons. That question has been answered.

But for those who believe that smoking could have no impact on a gastric sleeve, you're welcome to read this article:.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/ulcer/smoking-and-ulcers.aspx

Or not.

...and I tried it once after quitting ( before surgery and the bubbles about killed me) and that was before surgery... my 13 yr old son quit drinking it with me still can't because of the bubbles hurting his stomach the other two of my sons( 11 and 16) quit with me for the surgery for a yr and drink it again now and are fine with it... no issues with the bubbles...Just be careful... I was before surgery curled into that ball of pain after taking 3 sips of a soda and that was before surgery.... the thought of drinking it now... I can't fathom... eggs had me curled in a ball after surgery and until about a month or so ago I couldn't eat them. Before surgery I was a smoker... after the smell made me gag.... for about 3 months.... Then A traumatic thing happened and that's what I ran to :( I don't eat more due to smoking and the docs did not seemed all that concerned that I was smoking again.

Wait, whuuuuuttttt?? Another smoker condemning diet soda?

Smoking won't undo the sleeve, pop will.

Undo? What the heck are you talking about? UNDO?

I'm actually not against anyone having soda... I just think to be careful with it... and I wasn't a smoker until my ex punched me in the face and hit my 12 yr old son until then I had done well.. not smoking and the smell of it made me sick for 4 months after.... I just want her to be careful.. I have no idea of carbonation can make it expand or not... maybe for some maybe not for others... But I am fairly certain it can grow... From the looks of it it's a natural thing... from what I could find on it.... now it could be that is why they changed the part of stomach they used for the "pouch" and that one doesn't grow.... stretch as well as the older area used...