Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Those who drink diet pop post-op {Only nice comments PLEASE}

I've not read all the replies, but...

I drink Coke Zero. Through a straw. My surgeon OK'd it a 6 months out because I was almost to goal. I had no other "vices" so this one was approved, but barely.

Sleeves don't stretch (per my surgeon) and if they did, it would not be because of carbonation. Air is air.

I have always consumed diet soda only, and post op, it must be through a fountain soda or a poured soda. Canned or bottled hurts so I avoid. It doesn't increase my cravings as I am not a sweets person, but MY experience is not anyone else's.

YOU DO YOU. Listen to your surgeon and work from there.

I haven't had surgery yet but my surgeon hasn't said yay or nay on diet pop. I switched from regular to diet pop and have lost 70 pounds so far. Diet pop has zero calories. People don't gain weight from drinking diet pop alone. People say there is no nutritional value, but Water has no nutrition other than keeping you hydrated and Water is the main ingredient in diet pop after all.

Actually the artificial ingredients in diet soda can be problematic if your prediabetic.

Diet soda with caffeine is not hydrating.

I was addicted to Diet Pepsi, 2 2 liters on most days. Still enjoy one now and again.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by nyteacher125

@Beck90

I didn't have to ask my surgeon or doctor. I just rejected it the same way that I reject the notion that eating pop rocks and drinking pop will explode your stomach. It's just silly talk. Look, there is a logical fallacy called "appeal to authority". Just because a doctor or surgeon tells you something does not make it true unless he or she can back it up with actual evidence. Merely being a professional is not good enough.

Just like they say that drinking diet pop makes you gain weight because you crave more sweets. Not true for me. I drink diet pop every day and only eat sweets on special occasions (birthdays and holidays).

My Surgeon doesn't forbid it, but states that you can only drink it flat. That just doesn't sound to appetizing to me. I was a Diet Pepsi addict in my younger days and probably had one a day before my surgery. I haven't had one since and really don't miss it. I'm so busy trying to get in all the Water that I would rather just add flavoring drops to water and drink that.

If you are still looking for what doctors say that don't buy into the "carbonation stretches the stomach" here is what my doctor has to say about it (and some other myths):

http://drmatthewweiner.com/bariatric-surgery-myths/

That being said, he is VERY anti pop of any sort. As to the comment the poster made above about Protein drinks. He also hates those, but sees them as a necessary evil until you can replace them with good food based Protein.

@ Thank you so much for that video link! It was super super informative! I respect him for being able to say he's anti-pop but not using that stance to perpetuate untrue myths about it / using "scare tactics" to get people not to drink it. (My own program is still telling people in our classes that drinking carbonated drinks will stretch the stomach so don't ever drink them). I think it's also important that if you do want to try foods like pop or chips or what have you that you check yourself... you're much less likely to have it become a slippery slope (I think) if you monitor yourself "Am I eating chips again every day?" Like Dr. Weiner said.. it's not one choice but a return to old habits over a period of time that causes weight re-gain and non-success and that was a very good way to look at it and makes a lot of sense!!

@@Beck90 ...

All of the WLS vets I have talked to on line or in person who have been completely successful for longer than 2 years do not drink it, and have stuck to the low carb low sugar life style.

Three years out and successful. :) I drink it. Not as much as I used to pre-WLS. I am very mindful about what I eat, how much I move my body and because I am not really a sweets person, it doesn't "trigger" (how I have grown to hate that word) me to eat other foods.

:)

@@Beck90 you said your surgeon "discourages" drinking soda, why not ask HIM why?

Ask him the about the pros and cons.

@@PinkPolkadot619

"....I'm curious.......... Have you found ONE doctor that has said its okay? Or even recommend, I haven't seen anyone ever post that. That is the reason people are posting here."

My surgeon and nutritionist allow diet soda within moderation at the appropriate stage. My surgeon's head nurse even scoffs at the idea carbonation will stretch your stomach.

But given that, they prefer Water or Water with some flavoring or infused water over diet sodas. There is no nutritional value to the diet sodas and the artificial sweeteners and other additives are really not that good for us. Also, diet colas can also be acidic and/or contain caffeine; caffeine should be kept to a reasonable quantity.

Some doctors are afraid that other "old habits" could be associated with the drinking of diet sodas that may also creep back in.

Bottom line. Everyone is different and need to base these decisions on what is best for them.

Personally, I am trying to drink less diet sodas and more water due to all of the added chemicals and artificial sweeteners (I try to buy only decaffeinated soda) -unfortunately, I prefer it with a flavoring that contains artificial sweeteners and additives, but I am trying to drink more plain water.

Plain tap water is healthier (not counting areas of Flint, Michigan) :)

My surgeon and nutritionist allow diet soda within moderation at the appropriate stage. My surgeon's head nurse even scoffs at the idea carbonation will stretch your stomach.

But given that, they prefer Water or Water with some flavoring or infused water over diet sodas. There is no nutritional value to the diet sodas and the artificial sweeteners and other additives are really not that good for us. Also, diet colas can also be acidic and/or contain caffeine; caffeine should be kept to a reasonable quantity.

Some doctors are afraid that other "old habits" could be associated with the drinking of diet sodas that may also creep back in.

Bottom line. Everyone is different and need to base these decisions on what is best for them.

Personally, I am trying to drink less diet sodas and more water due to all of the added chemicals and artificial sweeteners (I try to buy only decaffeinated soda) -unfortunately, I prefer it with a flavoring that contains artificial sweeteners and additives, but I am trying to drink more plain water.

Plain tap water is healthier (not counting areas of Flint, Michigan) :)

I agree with all of this. I returned to diet soda for a few reasons.

I like it. I like the fizz, I like the taste, it pleases me.

Plain water hits my stomach hard post op, so my NP suggested Crystal Light, G2, etc. There goes the artificial sweeteners argument.

My plan allowed Decaf coffee after week one. There goes the acid argument. (That said, I cannot drink wine -- it kills me with heartburn.)

My plan allowed regular coffee at week 6 as long as you drink a correlating number of Fluid ounces of something else. There goes the dehydration piece.

Again! I am not encouraging anyone to go against doctor's orders. I am simply relaying MY experience with MY surgeon. My books at seminar said no soda, alcohol, smoking, carbonation, fried foods, Pasta, potatoes, chocolate, ice cream, rice, etc. ever again.

My surgeon and NP then work with individual cases to adjust those directions according to the needs, success and new habits of the individual.

@beck90 I think you missed my point. What I was saying is that your personal physician the person who does yo​ur surgery is going to give you advice. You then have a choice follow it or don't. Sure information is important but in this day in age there are multiple opinions on any topic. Ultimately you have to decided and live with the consequences.

My question is if you know something is processed and not good for you why would you want to drink it if you are committing to a new healthy lifestyle? Is the risk that it might sabotage the effectiveness of your weightloss program worth that temporary satisfaction obtained by having it?

For most of us we had weightloss surgery because we were desperate to change our lives! So we are willing to do what ever it takes to get to that change.

I am sure a lot of folks who are at their goal or very near are willing to make compromises and have indulgences.

No Dr whether you are obese or not is going to tell you any soda is good for you. Will it stretch your pouch who the hecks knows but do you really need to find out? It is a bit like Pascal's wager it may or may not stretch you pouch but if I never drink it I wont really care or need to know.

I haven't seen a lot of good proof that diet pop is bad for you. There is a lot of correlation but no causation. This is like when eggs were bad for you for a couple decades and we got egg beaters. Now eggs are a super food. Diet pop has no calories and no sugar. You don't gain weight by solely drinking diet pop. It funny that people then recommend shooting chemicals into Water as an alternative. Diet pop is mostly water after all. Diet pop has also been out for at least 50 years and we still don't have definitive proof of these perceived evils.

"I drink coke and other soda sometimes. Im 3 1/2 months out. It's actually soothing to me and helps me burp. I also found a low calorie way of having some fizz. I tried flavored seltzer Water and crystal light. :) "

This was me at 3 months, now Im 3 years out and met goal. I rarely drink any now and made it a point to try to stop once I healed more. But like i said in the beginning it helped me in a weird way ???? everyone is different.

I was never a diet soda drinker, but I have had a few sips of regular soda when a dr made me drink caffeine. I could barely stomach two sips before I had to throw it away because of the way it made me feel. Like others have said, you might not like the way it feels when you drink it.