Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Those who drink diet pop post-op {Only nice comments PLEASE}

@ THIS THIS exactly.. I don't like strict "Do's and Don'ts" on every little thing. Some things do have to be strict Do's and Don'ts (like Protein intake) but not everything needs to be.. I much more like a "lets see how it goes" approach.. I mean who knows my new stomach may hate pop and I don't think I'd be disappointed with that..

I don't see it as eating around my sleeve.. I see it as gathering information about a topic that different docs/surgeons/ and NUTs don't all agree on so I can make a decision wisely.

I think this is like anything else in life, some people follow things to the letter of the law... Other like to know the rules and modify them to fit their lifestyle.... My aunt has gastric about 12 years ago was very successful, she was taught by her surgeon that the surgery helps you to retrain your stomach, everything in moderation.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@ I think this is exactly the thing.. some people must follow the rules -exactly- as given to succeed.. others need the freedom to modify things to their lifestyle to make it work and be a real lifestyle change.

The fact that I'm thinking about how to handle my life post surgery and how to deal with problem issues isn't some sign I'm not committed actually it's a sign I'm very committed because if I chose to ignore it and not research it and not figure it out... then I'd be in a mess when the time comes. I have to think about those things and plan for them now because that's just how I am lol.

I like the philosophy taught by your aunt's surgeon you retrain your stomach via surgery and everything in moderation :D

I am aware this is a hot topic..

My surgeon discourages drinking diet pop but I personally enjoy diet pop.. I've never found it a "slider" food for me on any previous diets.

And I know several surgeons DO say it's okay..

I've heard that surgeons say drinking diet pop will stretch your sleeve. I have a feeling this is a scare tactic either because a lot of docs just don't support diet pop and the artificial sweeteners that are in them or are worried about them being "slider foods" so they just say "Oh it'll stretch your sleeve" If it would really stretch your sleeve wouldn't all surgeons be united in agreeing that diet pop is bad?

I'm basically wanting to hear from people whose surgeons DO agree with diet pop so I can get another opinion on the matter. Why have your surgeons said it's okay.. what do they say to the "it'll stretch your stomach" (myth?) What guidelines do your surgeons give about drinking it.

And also how soon after your surgery did you try diet pop for the first time?

NOTE: If you don't agree with my decision to potentially go against what my surgeon suggests please don't lecture me.. I'm well aware and on most things I follow the rules.. but I'm also smart enough to know that if some surgeons allow it there is a reason and I want to find out and have second opinions and I don't feel that's wrong. I've encountered a lot of hostility here toward people who dare to question what their surgeons say so if you don't agree please just ignore this post. THANK YOU.

I am borrowing from a different post cant remember the author and I am paraphrasing but:

I have been responsible for my nutrition and in charge for years. The net result of which is that I am morbidly obese and out of control. My philosophy was all things in moderation, the problem was my concept of moderation was extremely skewed. That moderation brought me Diabetes, Gout, High Cholesterol and probably liver and kidney damage.

So now I have sleeve, a NUT and a Dr all deciding as a team that are in charge of my nutrition and low and behold I am dropping weight, Diabetes is gone, Cholesterol is lower and liver is probably regenerating. If it is all the same I think the team probably makes better decisions than me where my nutrition is concerned.

You are free to eat and drink whatever you want and you can probably find a Physician that will tell you it is ok, but the vast majority wont. Why does it matter what they say you are in charge of your body do what you want after all you have to live with the consequences.

@@LondonHawk My theory before was never everything in moderation .. it was everything I want whenever I want it in gigantic quantities ;) that's how I got to the place I am in now.. now I believe the sleeve will -help- me to achieve something I have.. everything in moderation as a tool.

I wasn't looking for someone to tell me it's okay.. I'm already aware that many doctors think it's fine and just as many think it's not... I was looking for information about -why- their doctors say it's okay, what they say about combatting the "it stretches your stomach myth" and how long out from surgery they tried it.

That was why I said initially that I only wanted nice/favorable posts... I am well aware some people don't agree.. but was looking for information from those who do...

@@Beck90 - Did you see this post? http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/367575-dont-shoot-the-messenger-carbonated-drinks/ ? Just thought it was timely and a pretty good explanation - at least as good as I have seen. I know some people (non-WLS) say diet sodas are evil and blame the artificial sweetener; however, the NUTs all approve Protein shakes which contain artificial sweeteners. The difference being (I suppose) that at least Protein drinks do include some nutritional values and diet sodas don't.

I am a rule follower yet still want to know "why". So maybe I am a follower of rules that make good sense to me. Not necessarily the best example for a WLS patient (but I wanted to say I know where you are coming from). I will also say that a lot of my thoughts and worries pre-op changed and became non-issues once I was post-op.

Well, I guess I will answer. I tried diet soda about 10 months post-op. Drank a lot of diet coke one day on a road trip. Let all the bubbles dissipate. Didn't matter. The acid tore my stomach up! It literally took a week of going back on a PPI to stop the pain and discomfort and GERD.

No way would I ever try that again.

[qu ote name=Beck90" post="4153619" timestamp="1463009538]@@LondonHawk My theory before was never everything in moderation .. it was everything I want whenever I want it in gigantic quantities ;) that's how I got to the place I am in now.. now I believe the sleeve will -help- me to achieve something I have.. everything in moderation as a tool.

I wasn't looking for someone to tell me it's okay.. I'm already aware that many doctors think it's fine and just as many think it's not... I was looking for information about -why- their doctors say it's okay, what they say about combatting the "it stretches your stomach myth" and how long out from surgery they tried it.

That was why I said initially that I only wanted nice/favorable posts... I am well aware some people don't agree.. but was looking for information from those who do... [/quote

I'm curious.......... Have you found ONE doctor that has said its okay? Or even recommend, I haven't seen anyone ever post that. That is the reason people are posting here.

@@PinkPolkadot619 true.. I haven't succeeded at losing weight but I think that has more to do with portion size and too -many- bad food choices rather than moderation.. both of which have to change but just to play devil's advocate.. a number of people post sleeve still drink alcohol.. and while that does have some health benefit in moderation it's not a Protein or a veggie.. your body doesn't "need" it and it's FULL of "unneeded" calories.. so why is that not frowned upon but a can of diet pop here and there is apparently completely taboo?

1, it is made from the earth. Fermented grapes. What is soda made from?

2, yes in moderation wine has some health benefits, soda in moderation or not has none.

But before 1 year and before maintenance it is all just slowing you down or hindering your mental shift to your new lifestyle.

I have not had any alcohol since surgery and honestly I don't care, same with soda. My ability to run and new healthy things are so much better.

I didn't drink a lot of diet pop prior to surgery. I drank perhaps one Coke Zero every day, and sometimes didn't even finish the can or bottle. When I learned that diet pop is not recommended, I stopped drinking it. Did I miss it? At first. Once I had surgery, I don't even drink as much coffee as I used to. And trust me, I drank a lot of coffee morning, noon, night. Now I still drink my coffee in the morning, but not so much the rest of the day or evening now. I'd have to say that I of course drink more Water now. I do not miss drinking diet pop. I have no craving for it whatsoever.

The reason it is not recommended by the Bariatric Institute where I had my surgery is because the bubbles fill the pouch, and you are not able to eat food if the bubbles do not dissipate quickly. There was never any mention of it "stretching the pouch or sleeve".

I think you are setting yourself up prior to surgery to have your diet pop regardless of what this surgeon or that surgeon says. If you still really want it after surgery, more power to you. But many things change after surgery. I thought that was bullcrap when I heard it, but it's true.

Edited by Renkoss

I know you only want comments from people who agree with you, but am going to share my thoughts anyway.

I had a serious diet pop habit pre-op and really did not know if I would be able to kick the habit or could stick with it.

I can seriously say that other than the sleeve, weight loss, increase in mobility, etc., breaking the diet pop habit is probably one of the biggest healthy changes I have made in my life.

I slowly weaned myself off of carbonation and then caffeine pre-op.

I can honestly say that I do not miss either at a year post-op.

I think one of the most important critical success factors for me was my decision to do everything my bariatric team asked me to do, even if I thought I couldn't or didn't want to.

At some point you need to decide how important your health and your life is to you.

The Coca-Cola company was the only one benefitting from my addiction to their products, I certainly wasn't.

I can't drink much of a carbonated beverage but from time to time I will have some. I don't even bother with diet drinks. I get the full sugar version. I can only manage 4 or 5 drinks until I feel too full to drink anymore but those few drinks are delicious. I've discovered that a Slurpee from 7-11 is a very good substitute. I can drink a small one no problem.

I certainly do not advocate eating or drinking unhealthy things but for me personally I have had soda, candy, and anything else I wanted. Oddly, I don't want them as much as before WLS but if I do I have it and never give it a second thought. I haven't stretched my sleeve, gained weight, or had any other ill effects.

It may well be true that after I have surgery I won't want it or care for it.. I do believe that's possible.. I just tend to always feel better having a game plan either way..

And yes.. I've talked to some people who either their doctor said it was fine or didn't address it at all.. and my own primary care physician said as long as it wasn't intefering with my weight loss and wasn't causing me gas pain it was okay in moderation. Just didn't give me advice beyond that which is why I was asking for others' experience.

I appreciate that some of you don't agree.. but what works for one may or may not work for another.

However.. I've had some very nice people PM me who have given me advice about how to handle the diet pop issue if I do want to try it post surgery which means I got what I needed to know answered. So I think we can lay this topic to rest and simply agree to disagree.