Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In need of a pep talk...

My VSG surgery is scheduled for September. I've only told my parents and a few of my closest friends.

One of the friends I did tell called me up yesterday because she told her mom and aunt (who are both nurses) and they begged her to talk me out of having the surgery. Since they are nurses they said "there are just so many bad things that come from all of those types of surgeries and the side effects are not worth it. It permanently changes your life for the worse." I guess her aunt works with bariatrics patients on a regular basis but only when they're having complications. When I asked what some of the causes of the complications were, her aunt didn't know because she doesn't have access to that information. I understand that there's a chance for complications and sometimes it's because the patient doesn't follow the process.

I feel like people are so quick to tell me all the reasons I shouldn't have the procedure but have done zero research. I know that this is a life changing tool and not at all the easy way out. Personally I'd rather risk having a complication than the long term risks of obesity.

I guess what I'm looking for is a little bit of a pep talk from fellow WLS patients. Right now it is such a mental mind game and most of it is due to other people's opinions of WLS.

Thank you for reading my rant. :)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by mtravel10

My surgery is next month and I am also being so selective who I tell. As you say generally the opinions are either not fully informed or based on a person they heard of , know, saw on Facebook once ... and regardless it's not them having it so it's not really up to them to comment. I have been warned of losing friends over losing weight, and don't want the added stigma of negative opinion on this tool I have chosen. Go us! We are willing to take this risk to improve our lives and futures !!

Sent from my SM-G930F using the BariatricPal App

The complication rate for WLS is less than 2%.....hell, it's more dangerous to have your gall bladder removed! And I guarantee the risk of a life shortening obesity related health problem is WAY more than 2%. It's such a shame that so called professionals are so ignorant.

Yes, this surgery will permanently change your life.....but for the better. I wouldn't trade my tiny tummy for anything. And you will be hard pressed to find more than a handful of people who regret their VSG, even the ones that have had complications.

I work in a hospital and yes there is always a risk any time you go under the knife. But even knowing the risk (and taking care of some patients that have had complications from bariatric surgery) I know that the benefits outweigh the risks. Obesity has such negative impacts on ones health and has been proven to cut short so many lives. I truly think this surgery will help me live a longer and healthier life.

Edited by anassathalassa

one of the reasons I wanted surgery was due to developing diabetes.

I work in an eye doctors office, and admittedly I see diabetics with serious problems, and it was probably more scary for me than the average person. So, I understand their thinking. BUT. you have to decide with your team what is in YOUR best interests overall. I am personally more afraid of the complications of obesity than I was from surgery.

You will find a lot of caring people here who will tell you the surgery saved their life, and that it is the best thing that ever happened to them. I am so glad I was brave enough to make this change for my future. nothin but happy with my sleeve.

Ha!

Nearly two years ago when I had WLS (I've been sleeved) my after-care surgical nurse who had seen tons of WLS patients come through her surgical ward was scheduled for a VSG the following week. I still remember she told me she weighed 280 pounds.

Nothing she had seen about WLS had scared her off. And goodness knows, she certainly had a front-row seat to WLS, including complications.

@@Kindle is right -- the complications from this kind of surgery are no different than other laparoscopic surgeries.

However, you must be willing to take a lot better care of yourself post-op than you did pre-op. If you're committed to doing that, you will do well. If you treat your body with disrespect after surgery, however, your body will probably not appreciate it.

Best to you!

Don't listen to them. The consequences of NOT doing the surgery are so much worse than what could MAYBE happen if you do.

mytravel10 - I have a friend that also works in the Bariatric field she too is totally against this type surgery. She tells me that should eat healthy and excerise and I can do it on my own. For some it's easier said than done - I have not even told her and probably want !!

Hold the line! Someone who "works in the bariatric field" is totally against bariatric surgery?

Then Why The F**k is she working in the bariatric field?!

Sorry ... got overly excited.

No one can foresee the future.... One way to lower your chance of complication is to extensively research your surgeon... Once you find out about his complication rate, you can feel confident... I met with one surgeon told me he has a 10% staple leak complication... I met with another said he only has one leak in 3200 procedure due to a staple malfunction... The first guy had no clue why the staple leaked... The surgeon is the key to a smooth procedure...

Just wanted to add, the only two surgery related complication I'm aware of are staple leaks and GERD... Pre-existing conditions can make surgery more risky and cause complications but those would not be a direct result of the surgery.

I haven't had the surgery yet so I can't tell you all the wonderful things but I can tell you to focus on the reasons why you are doing it. Write them down put them where you can see them and everytime someone tries to discourage you let them words sink in and encourage you. This is your journey your life and no one else's. Your story will be completely different from someone elses cause it's yours. So get to living out your story and enjoy the adventure along the way. The good, the bad, and the in between. Hope this was helpful.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using the BariatricPal App

I have an old college friend that had WLS 10 years ago. They didn't follow any of their post-op instructions and had all kinds of complications. I followed all my post-op instructions, no complications. Everyone I know that had issues was either already in really terrible health or didn't do anything they were supposed to.

That isn't to say that complications don't happen, but the way surgery is now, and the way it was in the past are really different, and the sleeve, is very different from bypass and the lapband.

I would be more concerned that your friend it telling your business to people, than what the people had to say.