Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain/Pain Management after surgery

I have my VSG scheduled for November. I'm a little concerned about the post op-pain management. My dr. has already indicated that I will be in the hospital "2 days to keep me comfortable"

I've had 4 knee surgeries, 2 of them were pretty extensive procedures that resulted in some pretty extensive pain after words. I'm just wondering if this pain is on par with something like that? or totally different? I know its a different area of the body but in all honesty I had such a rough go of it during my last knee surgery. The pain was horrible. I wasn't able to keep food or liquids down. So I'm just trying to mentally prepare myself to what is ahead.

Any Feedback would be greatly appreciated

Thank You,

Pain is not bad. Well controlled with opiods.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Dmedic72,

Were you on a "pain pump" post op?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using the BariatricPal App

No, I had IV boluses of Dilaudid and liquid hydrocodone.

I went home with Opana pills.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Ok for real...once I woke up from surgery I did not have ANYTHING but Tylenol for the pain. The pain from VSG does not compare to knee replacement or the rehab that goes with that. I will let the folks who have had plastics chime in but my understanding is that the pain from a Tummy Tuck is worse than the pain from VSG. After the first week or so I no longer needed the Tylenol. I still have a 10 day supply of liquid oxycodone in my house untouched. The reason I refused all pain meds besides Tylenol was the nausea and vomitting they cause. I did not want to barf with my brand new baby tummy, and I somehow managed not to for several weeks. You will not need and will not get an iv push of Dilaudid for a VSG. Good luck[emoji4]

I know this is a male only forum, but I am in a uniquely relevant position to offer advice on this subject, as I had major knee surgery on friday morning and wls last August. The knee surgery I just had was an acl reconstruction using my own patellar ligament, a lateral meniscus trim and a medial meniscus repair. It's a pretty major surgery! I can say without a doubt my gastric surgery was FAR less painful than this. It was very easily controllable and every single day my pain lessened dramatically, and my mobility increased dramatically. With this knee surgery... well I'm 5 days out and still in a pretty miserable state and level of pain. I was not prepared for this level of pain, and they classify this as "managed". My RNY was a piece of cake compared to this, and the VSG is even less painful/invasive than my bypass. Hope this helps. :)

I had no idea this was "guys room" I'm on the app and assumed it was something I had "subscribed" to. Whoops!

I had my entire knee replaced 3 years ago. Then 2 years ago I had extensive back surgery ( they fused a few lower vertebra together, built a cage, etc). The icing on the cake was foot reconstruction this time last year. I was on a scooter for months. GOOD NEWS. The sleeve isn't ANYTHING like those surgeries. It's not nearly debilitating, no rehab or PT. The first day or so may suck but you are on meds and won't likely remember most of it. A lot of the pain meds are different too- much stronger with knee surgery. I'm almost 3 weeks out and am back to taking dog to park, shopping, gardening, tending to my kids and bees... Seriously it's not that bad. Oh I feel I must disclose my injuries were a result of rugby and my mom still gets a great kick saying "I told you so!" You will be FINE. Just ask if you have questions or concerns. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

The original post shows up on the general forum page, so I am going to chime in. My sleeve was my 12th surgery which included two knee replacements, two c-sections, and a gallbladder surgery back when they still cut you half in two. The sleeve by far was the easiest recovery of all.

The two days in the hospital and the first two days home were kind of lousy with discomfort, but I did not need any pain relief after the third day.

Edited by jaxmom

I've had both knees hacked on by a witch doctor many moons ago.

Ankle repaired and three abdominal hernia repairs.

The sleeve was a breeze. Nothing to it. Pain was a big non-event. They had my big arse up and walking laps two hours after i woke up in the recovery room and every 3 hours afterwards through the night and next day. Was walking around the neighborhood on the second day after getting home.

I also had a hernia repaired at the time of my VSG. This was the only source of pain.

The VSG was easier to recover from than my vasectomy, which was textbook and easily dealt with.

I had an IV with pain meds administers through it. I had a button I could push to get a dose when needed. I'd hit it a few minutes before my walks....sort of as a proactive step. This was strictly due to the hernia repair.

Was sent home with a bottle of liquid pain meds. Still have over 1/2 of it left.

Sleeve recovery as far as pain was easy breezy. No pain whatsoever in the abdominal area. As @@Dub said, hernia repair was far worse. The only reason I took any pain meds at all in the hospital was to sleep through the nausea and acid I had. I was a dope, if I'd have spoke up more clearly, they could have treated those symptoms more effectively!

I agree the VSG pain wasn't much of an issue. I also had a small hernia repair so I can't distinguish between the two. I remember reading on this

board that it felt like you had been punched in the stomach, but it resolved in a few days. That was a very good description! I was on a pain pump in the hospital (1 night) and went home with hydrocodone. By the end of the first day home I wasn't sure the meds made a difference. So day two I cut the pills in half and added a Tylenol. Felt fine. Day three I did Tylenol only--no problem. Day four I stopped the meds entirely. Not sure I ever needed them and within a week of returning home I really didn't have pain even when bending or getting out of bed. You'll do fine.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

If its that big of a concern, ask your doctor if they will give you an On-Q Pain pump. I just took mine out this morning and it was great having a constant feed into my chest. That way you don't have to take pills and it keeps you a lot more comfortable (friends who had the surgery was shocked I was out and about the day after, AND driving...)

http://www.myon-q.com

Good luck!